Fan Leaf Triming,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiseguy_Chef

Junior Greenthumb
Reaction score
ok i was hopeing you guys can settel an argument me an my buddy are having. is it safe much less a good idea to trim the fan leafs wile the plant is in flower? i was thinking yeah it might let more light in, but we are running 4, 150watt hps. thats 60k lumes we geting great light in the cloest we growing in wich is a small 4foot by 2foot. but i was think not to cut the fan leafs cuz is that not where the plant stores it food to make the buds? an if so, won't it harm the plant by choping it?

I have always been told that the pant creates most of it's photosynthesis in the fan leaves and uses it to store their complex sugars they feed off of. I have always been told don't cut fan leafs to let in more light in, if absolutely necessary, adjust and move fan leaves to allow light to lower branches but it's best to let the plant grow how it wants.

I know my last grow my fan leaves looked horrible towards the end once they started dumping everything into the buds, I would have been embarrassed of the plant if the bud didn't come out so good.

I know we LST and pinch and even cropping but I have always been told to leave large established fan leaves alone and that's what I do.

Also, I try to avoid any extra stress, and I'm sure cutting a plants fan leaves will add to the stress. I'm assuming this is your buddies idea because I have read a bunch of your posts and followed a good bit of your journal, I don't remember seeing you hack off any leaves in your journal. So assuming you are on the side of not cutting the fan leaves I'm on your side!

I don't touch the fan leaves unless they are ill. My buds grow under the fan leaves, shaded, and end up big. I have taken the same strain and trimmed fan leaves on one plant but not on the other; in the end the plant with the fan leaves performed slightly better than the one without. Your biggest concern is that you have enough air flow.

just posted on this not too long ago. fan leaves are like solar cells. The more you have the more energy the plant will have. When in flower I like to develop the canopy with as many budding sites as possible. With a dense canopy, the lower, sucker type growth will not get much light. This is the part to trim off. This lower growth will not develop much bud and takes energy away from the rest of the plant. Trimming this off also allows for air circulation to prevent bud mold.

DO NOT cut fan leaves your plant needs them thats why they are their ,leave them too drop off themselves

thank you. looks like i was right thanks!!!! thats why i love this place.

godspeedsuckah said:
I don't touch the fan leaves unless they are ill. My buds grow under the fan leaves, shaded, and end up big. I have taken the same strain and trimmed fan leaves on one plant but not on the other; in the end the plant with the fan leaves performed slightly better than the one without. Your biggest concern is that you have enough air flow.
:yeahthat: I aggree

I know, I dont know how many times I have read this same thread. There should be a sticky saying DONT TRIM LEAVES!! EVER!!

If "it" were fan leaves:

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

Latest posts

Back