FF soil and nutrients. What works well for you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-ROCK2009

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been going through several posts on FF soils like Happy Frog and ocean forest. I'm pretty much sold on ocean forest and will use it most likely in combination with Light Warrior, escpecially for seedlings as I have seen the ocean forest burn young plants with my own eyes. I want to use a LW 70% OF 30% to start out then after 3 weeks or so transplant into OF 70% LW 30%. Now, from what I've read a lot of you have had good results just feeding plain water for the first month as the soil is very rich. Once I have transplanted I will use Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom until finish. I was also thinking of adding guano tea made from budswell but I dont want to overkill, and I know the Big Bloom contains guano anyway. Does this sound like a good way to go? What worked best for you guys? I know there are several posts out on this but I wanted to clear this up once and for all. Thanks for all your help it is very very appreciated!! :D

I don't quite understand your question, but I use black gold organic soil and use the three pack nutes from FF. Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom.

I follow their chart pretty closely, but always start with a very low dose of nutes and slowly ramp it up

I used to use OF but now use Happy Frog plus extra vermiculite. I had the OF burn seedlings, but it is very good soil if you have a nutrient tolerant strain I use FF liquid nutes plus the solid powder stuff. Both come in three packs. I start at about half strength and work my way up to FF recommended feeding schedule. The soil has some nutrients in it so I don't feed until the plant is 3-4 weeks old, or she tells me she needs food.

cadlakmike1 said:
I used to use OF but now use Happy Frog plus extra vermiculite. I had the OF burn seedlings, but it is very good soil if you have a nutrient tolerant strain I use FF liquid nutes plus the solid powder stuff. Both come in three packs. I start at about half strength and work my way up to FF recommended feeding schedule. The soil has some nutrients in it so I don't feed until the plant is 3-4 weeks old, or she tells me she needs food.

When using the dry nutes, how are you adding those into the mix? Do you follow the FF chart for those as well? From what I have seen on their chart the dry nutes dont need to be added until into flowering, is that right?

Right on thanks. I'll probably start them in either happy frog or light warrior and transplant into OF when they get a little heartier, don't wanna burn the babies!

Yes that is correct, they are for flower but there is some overlap of the wet and dry nutes, and they are diluted into a gallon of water. I don't think they are to be used with hydro grows. I like them, I'm very happy with the results and have never not used them on an indoor grow so I assume they work.

I just mixed 1/2 teaspoon of grow big and 1 tablespoon of bigbloom in a gallon of water to feed my jock horrors and aurora indicas last night. They are 2 weeks old and growing in ocean forest (started in pete pellets.) I was pleasently suprised this morning when i peeked in at them. It seems they are growing right before my eyes. I would just start weak and work your way up.

Codybear said:
I just mixed 1/2 teaspoon of grow big and 1 tablespoon of bigbloom in a gallon of water to feed my jock horrors and aurora indicas last night. They are 2 weeks old and growing in ocean forest (started in pete pellets.) I was pleasently suprised this morning when i peeked in at them. It seems they are growing right before my eyes. I would just start weak and work your way up.

How long did you keep them in the peat pellets before you moved them into the ocean forest? I use peat pellets too, thanks for your info bro

I put the pete pellet in soil usually the day ofter the leaves open up from the shell. I check them frequently every few hours and as soon as i wake up so they dont dry out in the pellet. I like to get them in the dirt because i am paranoid about the pellet getting a dry spot and damaging the roots. They seem to hold moisture better with the soil around the pellet. I used the local greenhouse's best soil on my first grow and it was good but this fox farm stuff looks great. It seems to be really loose and holds moisture great. I am a little worried about using the tiger bloom due to the ph issues i have read about. I dont have a tester. Good luck.
I definately dont recomend putting the seedlings straight into the ocean forest. I ran short a few pellets and tried that. they are alive but a little behind the ones in pellets.

Latest posts

Back