Fight Off Bugs And Disease With Aspirin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think ima try findin more readings on this aspirin water agin an see wat the majority says before i throw in 10 tho lol

bombbudpuffa said:
Yes, I have. You can start at 1 a gallon just to be safe and try different strengths. Wherever I first learned this though the instructions were 10-20 per gallon so i'm quite positive my mix isn't too strong just very acidic.

Ive seen Bombs Buds..and am experimenting in the 10 per gallon myself..Thanks BB for the thread.. and just so i got this right..I use asprin when i water..and not when i feed? right?

well i'll definately be keepin an eye on your guys's results of it then. im not that brave to go that far just yet. maybe one or two per gallon for now.but im gonna go grab me some RO water today an start my second batch i got cookin in the veg oven. i cant keep up wit the $ for distilled water. i've spent over 50$ already. and when ya have to flush if ever then it does hurt ya imo.
i remember u an i discussin the ro water at one time 4u
one quik question on it if ya dont mind. i know that it supposed to get rid all the nasty crap in water , but if say ya local water that's the source of feedin the RO machine is crappy water to begin wit, i mena like alot of minerals. i know that ya dnt dare wash ya car wit local water or you'll have a white spotted car. lol
would RO eliminate all that gunk as well? cuz thats wat im worried bout most

thanks an have a great mornin ya'll

I heard about soapy water fighting off bugs, but I thought it was a joke. It sounds like it would kill the plant. Does it really work?

Yes it really works, Ive seen it personally kill hundreds of afids on my rose bushes in seconds!

What I did was add maybe a teaspoon to a water spray bottle, Shake it up (dont know if it helps but couldnt hurt), and spray your infeststation when they dry you need to shake your plant or blow them off,,,,,,,,I really like to get the dead bug off the best i can............then if you want to get some lady bugs from your local nursery that will help too.

i know that it supposed to get rid all the nasty crap in water , but if say ya local water that's the source of feedin the RO machine is crappy water to begin wit, i mena like alot of minerals. i know that ya dnt dare wash ya car wit local water or you'll have a white spotted car. lol
would RO eliminate all that gunk as well?
Yes, it should. If you use RO water remember to add a CalMag supplement to it because it will leach them from your soil. I started using RO and MagiCal about 2 grows ago. I use the MagiCal everytime(except for with the aspirin water) and my girls seem to be responding to it very well:).

thanks for the tidbit bout the magical BBP i woulda never guessed that.
i added bout a handful some dol. lime that has cal an mag in it to the 3 gallon mix i made up this mornin. ya thinkthat may help givin back the cal an mag that the RO leaches out the medium?
i dotn understand y it be that it would leach it from the medium tho..:confused2:

I'll try and find some literature. Something about the RO water binding to minerals because it has none, if i'm not mistaken but i'm not positive...i'll have to find something on it:).

i'll do some lookin too an try find somethin

Heres a lil something on it:).

Ca – Calcium

Calcium is as important as N, P and K. Calcium is required in the roots, stems, leaves and fruits of plants. It is found in every cell wall and is required for the absorption of nitrogen.

Sources
– Most nutrient solutions will have adequate calcium for general plant growth. If a grower is using reverse osmosis water then they should seriously consider using Cal Mag Plus. An application rate of 1-2 teaspoons (5-10ml) per gallon of water is sufficient to rectify any deficiencies.

Deficiency
– Flower bud development is retarded, thus reducing yields, and fruit size is decreased. Roots die, leaving the plant open to root rot attack. Young leaves show symptoms before older leaves. The leaves can be deformed, and have yellow blotches which later turn into dead spots.

Toxicity
– No visual symptoms; may cause magnesium deficiency.

Mg – Magnesium
Magnesium is found in the chlorophyll molecule. If a deficiency of magnesium occurs then magnesium is transported from the lower leaves to the new leaves. Magnesium uptake is affected by the concentration of potassium. If high levels of potassium are applied then the amount of magnesium should increase e.g. at the second week of flowering when blooming enhancers are used then Cal-Mag Plus should be applied.

Sources
– Most nutrient solutions will have adequate amounts of magnesium. If a grower is using reverse osmosis water then Cal-Mag Plus (1-2 teaspoons per gallon) should be used as all the magnesium in tap water is removed by the RO process. For plants that are just beginning to show signs of magnesium deficiency then Green Stay can be applied as a foliar spray (1 teaspoon per quart) with Penertrator (2oz per quart) or added to the nutrient mix (1 teaspoon per gallon).

Deficiency
– Older leaves (lower half of the plants’ leaves) show signs of yellowing. The yellowing occurs between the leaf veins which remains green.

Toxicity
– There are no visual symptoms for magnesium toxicity.

hxxp://www.bghydro.com/BGH/static/articles/0306_macro.asp

I'll try and find out where I got the tip from but I can't find anything about why you should use a calmag supplement with ro water.

If a grower is using reverse osmosis water then Cal-Mag Plus (1-2 teaspoons per gallon) should be used as all the magnesium in tap water is removed by the RO process.
but wouldnt the same apply for distilled water as well then, im thinkin...?
cuz i been usin distilled water almost all the way thru my current ladies in flower an they sem to respond better when i add a pinch or two epsom salt to the water between feedings

but wouldnt the same apply for distilled water as well then, im thinkin...?
Maybe, i'm not sure. If you find something on it i'd be interested in seeing it:).

im jumpin betwen google an here as we speak for past 20minutes or so an i aint comin up wit nothin of the sort. closest i get to mag cal and ro water is some magical filter thingy you add to ya ro system, that i assume does put bak wat it lacks when it comes out liek you had said maybe...:confused2:

i assume does put bak wat it lacks when it comes out liek you had said maybe.
i'm thinking this is the case. The CalMag is used to relace what was taken from the water during the RO process:).

A quick word about surfactants and aspirin...

First off I would never do a foliar without a surfactant. That would just be a waste of time and material. Here's why..

There are many different wetting agents used through out the world, from regular everyday dishsoap, to agricultural oil, to diesel fuel. I worked for an agriculture company when I was younger and sprayed diesel fuel on many things (i.e. ivy, poison oak, etc.). Look on any local pest truck and you will find a bottle of dishsoap. Most pest companies use it in every mix. Not only will dishsoap help chemicals stick to the waxy exoskeleton of insects, but it also has it's own unique pesticidal qualities.

Not all surfactants (an acronym for 'surface-something?-agents. I don't recall the middle word:D. Sorry.) are appropriate for use on mj. Mj leaves, like most plants, have a waxy coating. Some more than others. This offers a natural protection against environmental threats and too much moisture loss. You may have seen some mj plants leaves are much waxier than others. Dark green shiny leaves of some strains would be a perfect example. You can see the waxy coating at work simply by spraying water on the leaf and watching it bead up and roll off. A surfactant eliminates this problem. It cuts the surface tension of water and basically makes water wetter. This is also important to the soil farmer. When soils become dry, they can aquire a condition known as hydroresistance. This means that no matter how much water you throw at it, it beads up, rolls off and remains dry. A wetting agent will ensure that a hydroresistant soil accepts water (and nutrients) much easier.

I would personally be very careful of what I used on my mj. I have read that most people prefer dish soap. I have also read that you should only use certain brands (i.e. Dove or ivory). I use a natural product from Earth Juice called Assist. I use it a lot! I know this is safe. It is made specifically for.... Yeah.

Anyway, a bit about aspirin. I finally found the uncoated today at the Canned Food Outlet. I did a little experiment with it when I got home. Here is what I have learned so far...

I tried two methods of incorporation. Letting the aspirin dissovle on its own accord, and pre-grinding. One thing I noticed right off the bat is the dissolved apirin was chunky. Kind of like... Coagulated. It wouldn't mix thoroughly in solution with the water. The pre ground went much better but had a tendancy to collect into 'balls' that were impossible to break up. There was a lot of material that just floated around. I solved this by adding a drop of dish soap (a wetting agent, what else??) It helped a bit with the dissolved aspirin, but not totally. It totally helped with the pre-ground. Full incorporation into solution. At least what I could see:D So I think a wetting agent is a must, even for root feeding.

I will be experimenting with this more and if I find anything else of interest I will share, of course.

On the 21st I water two plant with aspirin and folier sprayed two all four drouped then spring back to live and are looking great at this time.

Thank for the info bbp and zip and nvthis

Hey Oz, how many aspirin did you use? I was thinking about starting off with 2 325mg per gallon.

i just started doin this finally yesterday on my new batch bein i had to do a quick repot into diff soil as the stuff i had was runoff ph of 5.34 even wit a **** load lime added. yikes. so i made diff mix that was ph without lime added 6.8 on the button. so i hit em with a quik spray and watering of both with aspirin water and did a drop of dish soap in the spray and it seems they all took fine to it. they wilted a lil bit in few hours but this mornin i looked an tehy back perkin again. no idea if it cuz teh aspirin water or not but hey watever they alive. lol
i only used 1 325mg aspirin in one gallon was all.
hey NVTHIS<<< u say usin a wettin agen even when root feeding. u mean addin drop of dish soap to ya water when watering????

i do know one thing ithat aggravated me with this aspirin thing... tryin to raise ph after addin it. i had to add holy hella ph up to get it up 1 point even lol.

You don't have to use a wetting agent for root feeding. It is purely optional. However I did notice that the aspirin seems to enter solution much better when a surfactant is used (actually, I couldn't get it to do it completely any other way). There are also other benefits but, again, it's your call;) As far as the dish soap goes, I would look around at a few gardening sites and see what the correct and effective dosage is and what is the right kind to use. Also, with the aspirin, I would mix your drop of soap, a small bit of water and the aspirin in a small bowl first, then add to the water you intend to use.

I merely suggest this. I have no clue if this is the 'best' way to do it, but after trying many things last night, it is the best way I have come up with so far. Good luck!;)

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing.... Yeah, I used 3 and 5 and it dropped my ph to 4 both times...

Latest posts

Back