FIM method

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KushBlower12

Smoke em' if ya got em'
Reaction score
So you guys heard of the FIM method? Its like topping but you can grow more than 2 main colas, sometimes up to 8. Has anyone tried this? Would it be a waste of time and money? Im trying to increase my yields. I did just a little supercropping. I bent the main stem all the way down and now theyre all just about back to normal, but with thicker stems now.

Im in week 4 of my veg so I should do this soon. Any thoughts anyone?

KushBlower12 said:
So you guys heard of the FIM method? Its like topping but you can grow more than 2 main colas, sometimes up to 8. Has anyone tried this? Would it be a waste of time and money? Im trying to increase my yields. I did just a little supercropping. I bent the main stem all the way down and now theyre all just about back to normal, but with thicker stems now.

Im in week 4 of my veg so I should do this soon. Any thoughts anyone?
If you FIM, you are going to have to wait to induce flower, so dont do it if you need to flower now. the plant will need some time to repair itself. Are these clones or seeds? If they are clones, why not FIM a few, and compare and contrast the growth and yield. From what i have read and seen, topping is strain dependent. Some strains benifit, some dont.

I only top when plants are very small this gives the plant time to develop before putting them into flower.

The pics of my latest WW grow were topped one time at about 4 inch's tall and have developed at least 5 main branches and many smaller side branches.

cloning would be more effective.. but divided main colas by fliming techique can divide the thc energy flows IMO I'm not sure... I had one plant grew 3 colas, it took long time. though..IMO you can skip the fliming to speed up the process

the "only" way fimming or topping can 'slow' the process, is because, as growdude said, the plant requires time to recover, and longer "veg" time is required. It in no way effects "flowering time".
Fimming or topping will not increase your yield 'significantly'..IME. It does/will 'slightly', but IMO, only because of the extended veg period, and it allows the canopy to be opened up, more exposure of 'quality' light, to more of the plant surface. You produce 'more' buds in number, but they will approximately equal the same weight as a single main cola..IME...

Hick said:
You produce 'more' buds in number, but they will approximately equal the same weight as a single main cola..IME...

That is exactly what I have noticed. I have grown the same strain topped and not topped with the same results. I like the topped plants because you can control them better. Someone in this thread stated that topping is strain dependent. Is that correct? It doesn't seem right to me.

godspeedsuckah said:
Someone in this thread stated that topping is strain dependent. Is that correct? It doesn't seem right to me.

Dont see why it would be.

I top too get muti cola's but what this really does is slow vertical growth.
My WW monsters were not topped but grew tall very quickly, with more cola's the plants vertical growth is spread out beetween the branches and never reaches the same height as non topped.

I am going to weigh the next harvest to compare.

KushBlower12 said:
So you guys heard of the FIM method? Its like topping but you can grow more than 2 main colas, sometimes up to 8.

And how is that different from topping?

I really don't understand why there are these 'new' methods popped up that sound exactly the same as the good old regular ones :confused2:

FIM....."IF" performed perfectly, will produce multiple branching, topping only produces two tops.

but I thought if you topped you get 2 tops, then you top those and get 4...so on and so forth. Do you mean FIM means you just do it once and get multiple?

Sounds a little complicated for my small female brain :p think i'll just stick to LST - i love bending my babies over hehe :D

Thorn said:
but I thought if you topped you get 2 tops, then you top those and get 4...so on and so forth. Do you mean FIM means you just do it once and get multiple?

:D
yes... if you get the "ideal" snip, you can produce several tops, in a single FIM..if you miss, it still 'usually' only produces 2 tops.
btw, when I first heard of this process deveral years ago. I asked what FIM was represtative of. And was told .."F rick I M issed" F I M.. :p

Thanks alot guys for the info. Well if it doesnt increase yield... and it doesnt improve quality... whats the point? Sure it looks cool to have multiple beasty colas, but weight isnt increased at all? It seems like alot of work but not much pay off. I am partial to supercropping. I like how thick and strong the stems get. Thanks alot everyone!

The POINT is to prevent your plant from growing too tall. That's why we top in the first place. The question is whether or not it helps in any other way. I have one lady halfway through flowering and I topped her in her 3rd week of veg. Each of the 2 colas that grew from the clip grew into 2 MORE colas, For a grand total of 4 colas. These are the bulkiest part of my plant because they grow so compactly together, growing naturally at a perfect distance from each other so I haven't had to bend them at all.

KushBlower12 said:
Thanks alot guys for the info. Well if it doesnt increase yield... and it doesnt improve quality... whats the point? Sure it looks cool to have multiple beasty colas, but weight isnt increased at all? It seems like alot of work but not much pay off. I am partial to supercropping. I like how thick and strong the stems get. Thanks alot everyone!
It 'can' increase yeild, if intrgrated with training, because it allows more, and better light exposure, but..IMO it is more relative to veg time and a good training process..than just fimming or topping.

Latest posts

Back