First Closet Grow w/ CFL's Only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On day 2 I basically just planted the sprouts that had already opened into one of my small containers and put it under the light. There is a pic of what the sprouts looked like after only 36 hours. Not all had opened but some had... so I started those.

sprouts.jpg

In this pic I have one 42w CFL that runs at 2700K color and puts out 2700 lumens, and two 27w CFL's, 5500k color, 1300 lumens each.

light1.jpg

On day 3 I potted some more soil and then added the rest of the seeds that had germinated to soil. The seeds that were planted on the previous day are already showing signs of growth on the surface of the soil.

morepots.jpg

firstgreen.jpg

My kitty wanted to check out what's new in the closet. :D

kitty.jpg

All of the seeds are potted in soil and under the light.. and most have started to sprout above ground and show green, some even have the four little leaves. These three pics were taken throughout the day and show how you can see a difference in the plant every few hours!

early.jpg

late.jpg

The below pic was taken right after I watered.

later.jpg

Here is what the closet looks like now! All loaded up of mj seeds. =P The rectangular tray to the right is full of 8 seeds that were planted in soil one day earlier than the rest. Keep in mind though that germination started for every seed at the same time. The fan is not turned on yet and here is the light set-up from right to left: 26w 2700k 1750 lumen; 27w 5500k 1300 lumen; 42w 2700k 2700 lumen; 27w 5500k 1300 lumen; 13w 2700k 900 lumen. You can't see the 4th bulb just because of the light in the picture but it's there.

I'm trying to figure out some sort of box-in or canopy, possibly with even a filter for once they start to smell... but I'll figure that out when the time comes I suppose.

Oh and btw the dimensions of my grow space are about 3X3X1.5 feet and I just realized that it might be a tight fit height wise. Hrmm..

closet.jpg

instead of having all thos cfl's you could of just had a 1-150watt hps and called it a day. never understood why people like having 5-6-7 bulbs and wires everyplace. but looks like your off to a nice start and seeds are coming along nice.
goodluck

Thanks man. The reason I'm using CFL's is because this is a quiet and stealth grow... and I mean really stealth if you get the picture... as in ppl that live in my house don't know about it and I plan to keep it that way.

Also, so far I have spent about fifty bux on lighting which is way less than I would have spent on an HPS. Once I can grow somewhere and not have to worry about it, and also have more space, surely I'll use an HPS... but it just won't work out for now.

watch out for that smell come flowering time aye its gonna stink

Haha yeah... that's what I'm afraid of. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. That's why I said from the beginning, if it smells to strongly then I'm going to have to figure out something... but until that time I'll just keep it in my closet. A little smell is ok since we smoke inside... but beyond that could be trouble.

Very nice Anonymous! Good luck bro :)

Thanks guys! :D It's now the end of Day 5 and all but a few have sprouted out of the soil. Most have leaves and are getting bigger. I'm excited but have a long way to go hah.

hey sry to go offtopic right here ... but what videos ARE you watching??... im new in this forum and im still reading alot from the forum ..

well.... hi there, and hope you're gonna' do a good job with your grow. as far as i've seen, you may have to little space for those seeds you germinate.....

second.... i want to show you a journal, where somebody growth and harvest some Northern Lights, only with CFL's.

that's for your own thoughts, so you can see it's possible. here you go...

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/140651-1st-grow-cfls-northern-lights.html

lookin good :D shouldnt be hard to keep it all under wraps.. juss dont tell nobody.. loose lips sink ships ;) best of luck!

man I wouldn't let them get over 6 to 7 inches tall if you don't want a smell and no one can know that lives in the house.

instead of spray go ahead and water the pot you're growing in. make sure theres drainage for water. this will keep you moist a day or more.
your curled roots will find their way don't worry. root down always for best results.
eight sprouts is good. plant them all. with all the lighting you have gone on be careful not to overload your wire strip and trip the lights off. thats a no-no. lol! keep on keepin' on. you're doing great. keep us posted...

kriz1199 said:
hey sry to go offtopic right here ... but what videos ARE you watching??... im new in this forum and im still reading alot from the forum ..

The two best video's I have found are "Stoned Free Guide To Growing" and another, "Ready Set Grow," that's produced or something by High Times.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...392&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_e...always420forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3429

This last one is very in depth, in fact I found it to be too much in depth for me since I'm just doing a small grow. This last one has a ton of info about cleaning, lights, and ventilation if you want to go hardcore.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8764935838656123813

Ok there wasn't much new for day 5 or 6, which is today. I will get some pics up later probably but I do have one question.

Well you know how the little sprouts will have the two broad leaves and then the two leaves that have more definition in between them. Well on one of my sprouts, the two little pointed leaves are very skinny and yellow, and seem to be drooping. What's this?

Other than that I've just been watering. I turned the fan on and re-positioned everything a little.

I thought about getting rid of some of the sprouts but I think I will wait a little longer to make sure they're all doing ok. Like I said I'm going to be cutting it down to only a few plants before sexing. The only thing I'm still worried about is how long the seed/sprouts can stay in these small containers before I have to transplant.

thanks guys i was confused by all the info that seemed to conflict .also i see a picture using paper towels to start seeds i found a kind of wipe used for ink at a computer shop they are more cotton like and will stay damp for days longer than paper
thanks

It's now the end of day 7. Some of the sprouts have failed to make it so I'm down to about 15 healthy plants. I just moved the lights a little lower because to me it seems like they are growing slowly. They're only about 2 inches tall and still only have the first 4 tiny leaves. After reading some other CFL journals it seems like mine are coming along a little slow but hopefully that wont be a problem. I realize I'm operating on very little light and wish I could get some more "cool white" bulbs but I'm just going to have to work with what I've got. Maybe tomorrow or Monday I will build more of a smaller box or reposition things or something to make the grow area smaller to hold in more light. Also, I had to water them today with straight tap water since I ran out of rain water... hopefully that wont bother them.

Also I'm starting to worry about the temperature of the grow space. It's pretty enclosed when all closed up (which is most of the time, at least 12 hours a day prolly way more) and it seems pretty hot in there even with the fan on. I'm going to try to find a thermometer to get a reading.

Latest posts

Back