First Grow & First Post on MP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrj567

Reaction score
First of all hello to whomever may be reading this! A little about my setup (it's not the best, I know):
1 Aerogarden setup (soil not hydro, just using the lights)
there are two 26w 1560 lumen full spectrum lights in it

1 Ottlite
24w 1400 lumen with UVA rays

So far I just have one plant and one clone, both from bag seed. The first plant is 7 weeks old and I did the clone about a week ago.

Anyway, I wanted to know when you guys and gals start your flowering cycle? I'm sure it varies for different strains, but I just wanted an estimate.

PS- I have a Glow Panel 45 LED on the way to assist with the flowering cycle! Can't Wait!

Happy Growing!
Mr J :icon_smile:

Welcome to MP....I think you will need more and or better lighting. Where are you going to flower your plants? Closet, tent? You need a cpl things for flowering(growing). You need at least 5000 lumens per square foot of grow space, ventilation, and complete darkness during the lights out period.

That's what I've been thinking. I've followed several grows online that use less, but they end up with popcorn nugs. As of now they are chillin in my room, but I think I'll flower in the closet. The temp and humidity is perfect, so I'm pretty stoked!

hello mr j, welcome to mp
with the needed bigger lights and ventilation that closet will become hotter and humidity will change just to warn you. you need to set up proper ventilation if you are set on using that closet is this possible? an intake and an output for air circulation to bring in fresh air and remove hot stale air while still keeping it light tight for flower,
good air circulation is very important. youll need a good centrifugal fan sized to your area.
what size is your closet?
having those plants under very little light will make them very stretchy and tall and unmanagable especially in a small closet(assuming its small) it would be best to get them the light needed quickly or it will be hard to deal with in the future.

if you can afford one a tent is a good investment, it helps with alot of these issues being light tight and reflective etc.

what size pots are they in? feeding regime etc,
more details on your grow will help people help you.

Props to Hamster & Bogart for the info! As of now while they're in my room they have good circulation w/ two fans and my door open.

I've been thinking about getting a tent, my little cousin is visiting soon and I don't want them out in the open. And yeah my closet is small, for sure not a walk in!

Surprisingly the plants are compact, not stretching for light whatsoever. I have my first plant in a 2.75 qt pot, my clone is still in a clear Dixie cup for a couple more weeks. Then I'll be transplanting to a recyclable bag from HEB (acts just like a smart pot, but free!)

On my first plant I started it with a 12-5-7 granular time release fertilizer (no good, I know). Then I realized it wasn't going to be enough, so I purchased the full line of FoxFarm products. I don't use the full line on this plant though, as it is already being fed base nutrients still from the 12-5-7. I give it Big Bloom, Kangaroots, Open Sesame, Microbe Brew, Beastie Bloomz, ChaChing, & SUPERthrive. So far so good on that one!

I've been feeding the clone a foliar feeding of Big Bloom and watering with SUPERthrive so far. But next week I'll be starting it on the full FoxFarm regiment.

PS- Been having a little problem w/ whiteflies. Future reference in case you all didn't know, throw a 1/4" of sand over your soil and the problem will cease to exist. Make sure it is play ground sand though, as this sand comes sterilized.

:ciao::welcome::48:

I would place the clear dixie cups into something that will block the light from getting to the roots

mrj, you will find that you can grow a plant with less than optimal lighting, soil and nutrients, but eventually if you pursue this hobby, you'll end up with some good T5's or HID lights and a recommended nutrient schedule.

Almost ANYONE can grow a pot plant. Most of us are striving to grow the MOST and the BEST that we can grow.

Welcome aboard partner! ;)

Yeah I've been looking into some T5's recently, but I can't find any setups that come with the lights and the panel for a decent price. I'm looking for a 2' two tube fixture, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Amateur Grower said:
Almost ANYONE can grow a pot plant. Most of us are striving to grow the MOST and the BEST that we can grow.

Welcome aboard partner! ;)

This is not a hobby for the novice. There is much research, effort, trial and error, and money that goes into a successful grow. Cant say i agree with you AG.

drfting07 said:
This is not a hobby for the novice. There is much research, effort, trial and error, and money that goes into a successful grow. Cant say i agree with you AG.

We all had to start somewhere. The best and most experienced grower was once a novice.

AG

Well when you put it that way.

There are quite a few people in this life that dont have the patience or know how to put into marijuana horticulture. Not just anyone can grow a mature, healthy plant and successfully bring it to harvest.

MJR, im here wishing you the best of luck. If you need anything, let us know. take 1% of that anxiousness to get started, and put it into planning for a successful grow, and save up some loot. Then, you will be well on your way.

drfting07 said:
There are quite a few people in this life that dont have the patience or know how to put into marijuana horticulture. Not just anyone can grow a mature, healthy plant and successfully bring it to harvest.

On that we agree drfting07!

AG

I think new growers need to realize up front that this is a hobby where you only get out of it what you put into it. Sure you can grow a plant and get some smokeable bud with inadequate lighting, inadequate ventilation, inadequate nutrients etc. But if you learn to do it correctly the final amount and quantity of your end product will be infinitely superior.
Most of us that have been accused of being auto or CFL haters know this and it is why we don't recommend autos or using CFL's for flowering over HPS. It's not that we are hating...it's the fact that we know better bud can be had. jmo

Hi mrj567!

I can feel your excitement from here. There is nothing as fun as growing.

We all just don't want you to be too disappointed by not having all you

need. I started with three pitiful,stretched, spider ridden clones in a

bathtub. Now I have three grow areas....

Have fun learning, and you have a lot going for you, you found us didn't you? Green mojo!

Enjoy the journy of the trail yual walkin friend, it truly is a learning trail yual started to walk, but as yual walk it and see whats ahead as well as understanding whats behind yual will find your own perfected in your way at trails end. just remember though the part about understandin whats "behind" cause as yual walk yur trail ifin yual learn something or have problem long yur trail dont just keep to walkin, nope stop yur trail and study the lesson and understand it before yur travels take yual forward. Knowledge is growth and with growth comes ability to be confident in the teach of others. Oh and once yual get started be hard hobby habit to break, yual be freakin hooked. ;)

Have fun yur journey friend! ;)

BWD

It's like anything else that's worthwhile: it takes time and effort to learn and get better. I'm only about a year ahead of you in terms of growing experience, and I can tell you you'll learn so much in that first year...

I agree with diamond. You will learn alot in the first successful grow. After that, its constant improvement.

You do need basic equipment. Regardless of your skill level, without adequate lighting, ventilation, environment, nutes, etc, etc. you are not going to end up with a satisfactory harvest--I don't care how good you are.

While 1 small ott light (and a small LED) in an aerogarden can get you going, you really are going to need some kind of enclosed growing space and substantially more light than you are going to have to bring them to harvest. Unfortunately, I believe that you are going to find the LED almost worthless for flowering though it may aid in vegging some.
It is important to have a reflective enclosure to take the best advantage of your light and control ventilation, humidity, and temps.

I like this light for a 2' T5. hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-2-Foot-2-Lamp-PL-55-Tek-Lamp.asp It is a special double tube that puts out 5000 lumens each. However, remember than 10,000 lumens is only good for about 2 sq ft of flowering space.

Latest posts

Back