first outdoor grow would like some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantera

Reaction score
so im going to have my plants in 5gal. buckets. then have a 9gal. resevoir that will provide a constant drip. do you think ill over water this way. its my first outdoor grow and this is all i could come up with so i wont have to check them constantly. it would look something like this.

drip.jpg

In soil, I don't think that will work; you'll probably get mould problems, roots waterlogged. Because the plant has different needs at different growth stages it will be tough to adjust. If you want to try it I advise using coco coir, which holds a lot of water and really doesn't mind overwatering like soil media does. It should be possible to rig a battery-operated timer and solenoid valve to periodically open the water supply.

I agree. You need to be able to turn the water on and off. Constantly on is too much. Are you concerned about the visibility of all of that? Sounds good on paper, though.

Home sprinkler sys. controllers will run off a 9v. I dont know how long but the valves and all would work if you can find away to power ther controller foer awhile.

ya im going to get the sprinkler switch after hearing the feed back. it runs off a battery and it has an easy adjuster to program the times on and off. its only about 21.00 bucks at walmart. as for worring about someone seeing the system, its way in the middle of the forest. thats why im trying to devise a system so i wont have to check on it so often. if theres any other sugestions that would make the system better i would like to here them. thanks everyone.

i posted in outdoor grow too pantera my thread may give you an idea of how you can modify your system it is headed poor mans grow system ! good theory 2 bro yours is !

I think it's a sound idea with a timer. I have a modified gravity feed drip system in my little room and it works great. I do use a timer on it, because even at a slow drip it goes thruogh 5 gallons in three hours. All you need is a timer switch that turns the flow on and off .
I do agree with Benny in that if you can set all that s*** up in the open; why can't you go to check on it often. Although that is none of my bussiness.

i can check on it often it is just way the hell back there and i work a hell of alot so i just dont have time and i guess am just a little lazy. so with the gravity drip on your system how often does it run. the timer i was looking at can run twice a day or once a day or every other day. for 15,30 or 60 minutes.

holman two dial timers can run on 2,5,10/15,20,30,60,120,mins on the 2nd dial its 6hrs , 12hrs 24hrs, 48hrs, 3rd day/4thday/5th day/7th day@ upto 4 cycles per day and upto 7 days per week so if i set it on the 1 dial to 5mins and the 2 dial onto 3rd day it will auto turn on and off after 5mins every 3rd day or..if set to 2 mins on 1st dial and 6hrs on 2nd dial it will turn on/off every 6 hrs for 2 mins thats why i attached a tap to the hose to regulate the amount of water flowing through the timer go to www. holmanindustries.com.au you cant direct link from this site though or google bunnings warehouse for pics locate at tap timers $23 cheapest around and great for tomatoes

drill a 5/16 hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket near the edge. Place the hole within a few inches of your plant and you should be good for 7 to 10 days.

Yet sometime a permanent drip can cause root rot as well

Latest posts

Back