First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the clones lower leaves are turning yellow.... Is this normal for the leaves to do this? And I don't see any roots coming out of the rock wool cubes yet so they r not quite ready to be transplanted into soil. Should i just keep using water on them or should I add any nutes? Thanks!

That depends, they will start yellowing sometimes on the lower leaves when rooting, you may have too much light which is causing them to try to stay in full veg mode. You want to cause the veg mode to "pause" while they develop roots.

When I am running clones, I have a single bloom T5 bulb that turns off for 15 minutes every 3hours. I was doing this to allow some cool down as they were getting too hot back in the summer, but I have kept doing it as it seems to encourage rooting faster.

I would hesatate to feed them anything until I see some roots popping out, and then I feed lightly until the roots get stronger so that I don't burn the new roots, as they will burn easy.

How long have they been in the rooters?

Thanks Hushpuppy.

I am actually using rockwool and it has been 6 days now.

I think my light was a little too strong for them (FL 75w equivilant to about 23w?)

So I swaped that out with one of my aquarium 15w T8 bulbs.

See pictures:

The first two pictures are with the brighter bulb and the last one is with the aquarium bulb.

The 7w FL is full spectrum, while the aquarium is not (not sure on K rating) will this matter much? It looks to be more bluish/purple in color...

DSC00769.JPG

DSC00770.JPG

DSC00771.JPG

Here are a couple pics of the garden.

Hard to tell but it looks like there are some tiny buds starting. Oh, and we have 4 FEMALES plants! The one plant I could not tell sex for the longest time just showed this week, FEMALE! lol. This made me happy! Glad I kept her!

This 400W HPS is insanely bright! I have to wear sunglasses when looking at the plants lol... so dope. I can't believe I have that much light in a tiny 6 ft squared area lol. Plants seem to love it!

Dosing 1/2 strength FF ferts seems to be the trick, too. Plants are healthy minus some tiny leaves here and there on the bottom that shrivel up (probably not getting enough light). I see this as normal as trees outside loose leaves when they are healthy, too.

I just want to thank everyone who has helped me get this far! Wouldn't of been able to do it on my own!

Enjoy the pics! :)

DSC00772.JPG

DSC00774.JPG

DSC00777.JPG

DSC00778.JPG

DSC00779.JPG

I think your dome is too big, and you should be wetting the whole inside of the dome. My clones begin to droop when I leave the dome open too long... For what that's worth :)

Peace

HemperFi said:
I think your dome is too big, and you should be wetting the whole inside of the dome. My clones begin to droop when I leave the dome open too long... For what that's worth :)

Peace

So wet the dome daily? On the insides of the dome there is water running down so I know the Humidity is probably at least 90%.

Right now I can't get a bigger dome, unfortunately. So I should maybe just water the inside of the doom more?

Thanks!

growgreen420 said:
Thanks Hushpuppy.

I am actually using rockwool and it has been 6 days now.

I think my light was a little too strong for them (FL 75w equivilant to about 23w?)

So I swaped that out with one of my aquarium 15w T8 bulbs.

See pictures:

The first two pictures are with the brighter bulb and the last one is with the aquarium bulb.

The 7w FL is full spectrum, while the aquarium is not (not sure on K rating) will this matter much? It looks to be more bluish/purple in color...

There is no way that a 23W CFL is too strong--it is a 23W bulb equivalent to a 75W (rather than the other way around), however, equivalent wattage is a useless figure for growing purposes and means nothing. I would put the 23W back.

Don't get too impatient, roots often take 2 weeks or maybe more, depending on the conditions,

Did you presoak your rockwool cubes in water pH'd to 5.5 before you put the clones into them?

The Hemp Goddess said:
There is no way that a 23W CFL is too strong--it is a 23W bulb equivalent to a 75W (rather than the other way around), however, equivalent wattage is a useless figure for growing purposes and means nothing. I would put the 23W back.

Don't get too impatient, roots often take 2 weeks or maybe more, depending on the conditions,

Did you presoak your rockwool cubes in water pH'd to 5.5 before you put the clones into them?

Yes I did pre-soak them.

Okay so I will put the other light back on...

What about the yellowing leaves? Will the clone be able to make roots fast enough before the plant dies so I can start feeding it?

Little update on the clones:

What do you guys think? Everything look alright?

DSC00780.JPG

That looks ok to me. Just my opinion but I don't particularly like using a dome as for mine, I found it to be too much humidity, but that could be my environment or my strains, but your readings there look good. I also agree with THG on the lighting. I actually use a single T5 bloom bulb and have it on a timer to turn off for 15min every 2hrs. They really don't need a lot of light when rooting. Also, the yellowing I wouldn't worry too much about now as during rooting yellowing will occur because of the whole process.

I also make sure to use water that is 78f-80f for everything that goes to the cloning process, it just seems to work better. :)

Hushpuppy said:
That looks ok to me. Just my opinion but I don't particularly like using a dome as for mine, I found it to be too much humidity, but that could be my environment or my strains, but your readings there look good. I also agree with THG on the lighting. I actually use a single T5 bloom bulb and have it on a timer to turn off for 15min every 2hrs. They really don't need a lot of light when rooting. Also, the yellowing I wouldn't worry too much about now as during rooting yellowing will occur because of the whole process.

I also make sure to use water that is 78f-80f for everything that goes to the cloning process, it just seems to work better. :)

My cloner sits in the kitchen beside the sliding door and gets only the light afforded there (natural sunlight diffused through the door's glass, only during midday an don as it's a west facing wall), works great! I don't use my dome either, they look to do great either way, but I was getting a bit of mold on some leaves for some reason.

I think whether you use a dome or not has to depend on your individual RH. The humidity is generally quite low where I live and I could never clone without a dome.

Wow thanks for all the responses! I guess I will just keep watching them and hope they do well!

What do you guys think of this for my next clone? Worth it or not Worth it?

hxxp://www.midwesthydroponics.com/seed-starting/cloning-machines/daisy-cloner-8.html

That's a nice aerocloner but You can save that $80 and make a DIY bubble cloner that will work just as good. Go to Walmart and get a shallow storage tote that is as big as you want to go with, go to the fish store and get the biggest air pump that they offer, 10' of air hose, and and 4 of the big air stones that are heavy (not the round ones as they don't sink right and move around too much). While you are at walmart, look for the round floaty tubes that are made of neoprene(or go to the hardware store and get the same stuff that is used to make pipe insulation)

When you get it home, cut the round insulation/neoprene stuff so that it is about 1"to 1-1/2" thick "pucks" and then measure the diameter of them and cut holes in the lid of the tote that are about 1/4"-1/2" smaller in diameter so that the pucks can be squeezed into the holes and be able to hold the cuttings. Drill 2-4 holes in one end of the lid for the air hose to go through and connect each hose to an air stone and to the pump, and set them in the bottom of the tote so that they are spread out from each other. Fill her with water and clonex solution, plug in the air pump and insert yer cuttings :) If you want to see mine, I have a small one that I built last year at the beginning of my "stealth cabinet" grow journal, and I have a new bigger one that I just built a few weeks ago on the last page of the same journal :)

Wow that is a great write up! Since I am into fish keeping I already have most the stuff lol. Is there a special clonax gel or powder I need to mix into the water?

I use the clonex solution and the gel. I take my cuttings and dip them in the gel then let them sit for about 20-30min before putting them into the cloner. I mix about 5ml of clonex solution to 1liter of water :)

Is there any way to put my clones in a slow growth/"dormant" state. I only have one grow room which is being used for flowering right now and wanna keep my clones a little smaller until I harvest and can move the clones into the grow room. I was thinking about just exposing them to a smaller amount of light?

Latest posts

Back