flower time specifics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
What determines the amount of time it takes to flower a plant, other than strain. How can i get optimum results in this department.

by providing as near 'perfect' conditions as you re able.
A plant is mature, when it is mature. There is no "rushing" it, nor delaying it, without potential damage to the plant..."IMO"

I'd say strain is the key determination. Can't imagine anything that'll help with this that you won't already be doing (lights at optimal, watering sched, room temp, air exchange etc).

But, if there's something, someone here should know!! Will see what new I can learn!

eta...Hick nailed down my assumption while I was still trying to form my thoughts!! THANKS!!

Thanks, so if i want to finish in 8weeks , i need to get a strain that finishes in 8 weeks.

Yep....and even that isn't a guarantee! Trich checking will get you the best results.

You got it, the strain I grow takes around 60 days and its always within a couple days.

Its hard to find a strain that finishes in 8 weeks... Even the ones that advertise usually need about 10 days longer than is posted. The reason being that each strain will differ in phenotype even if it is fairly stable. There may be a pheno that finishes as early as 8 weeks but you have to acquire that pheno and even then the 8 weeks is minimum time and you will probably be disappointed in the final results. The finishing time on my Purple Kush is listed at 48 to 56 days and I take it 60 to 65 days before I am satisfied. There is a small window when the plant is at its maximum and finding that window takes time and some of that depends on personal tastes. I like to take most of my heavy indica plants until I see the first sign of amber showing in the trichomes any further and Its extreme stoned and couch lock but a sativa dom I like to let her go 40% amber or so where as a good even hybrid I like maybe 25% amber so it will vary. The key is not getting in a hurry and let the plant do its thing. Plan on most strains going around 70 days to get the best out of them and 80 to 90 days for Sativa Dominant. If you want a fast finishing, heavy yeilding strain try a pure indica like the Pure Afghani from DNA... I got mine from Attitude and I expect they will finish around 60 days or so...

I have found that breeders' estimates for flowering times can be quite optimistic. Like Big-V, I have found that most strains take 7-10 days longer than estimates. However, like Hick mentioned, optimum conditions play a big part in harvest time. I had a hard time recently regulating temps during lights out because of our hugely varying lows. I know that the days that the temps got below 60, the plants slowed down and I will probably have to add a week or so to my flowering time.

i appreciate everyones take on this topic, it helps to get a good idea about things.

BTW...don't forget there's a week or so of drying time to add on to the end of the process.....

I totally agree with THG... Breeders estimates are almost always 7-10 days less than the advertised "flowering time" ime when growing most strains from breeder's seeds. Either they are just making it sound quicker than it really is for sales OR maybe they are only counting the days that the plant is in profuse flowering and not simply in 12/12? :confused: Cuz if you think about it outdoor growers need flowering estimates based on days the plant needs to flower on average to mature, not how many days of 12/12... And we as indoor growers always assume they mean the # of days in 12/12... :rolleyes:

Peace~! :cool:

yeah what they said, my "8 week strains" are actually 10 week strains. get a pocket scope, check the trichs, give them the extra time they need to ripen, it makes all the difference, worth the wait

Latest posts

Back