Flowering tips needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You purposely wait until halfway through budding to cut the bottom branches off your plants? Truly?

.."ANY" pruning, trimming, training.. is best performed "prior".. to the onset of flowering.
While all being beneficial to some extent, depending on circumstances .... to induce stress "during" flowering is not an advisable practice.

Small and weak!?
<-- to be taken w/ a grain of salt ;) or don't be offended, your plant looks healthy and is going to produce. :D .. but I agree, it can't afford to lose anything at this point.

try Clorox on those socks ;).. not a flowering tip, but a freebie laundry tip :rofl:

from what ive read so far....all advise is correct(depending on situation)...the factor is how much longer your flowering time is....for the most part, the plant is what it is now..you look atleast 5wks in2 flower(low guess)...if thats on a 8wk flowering strain then it is 2 late for improvement....mine is 13wk so in my case id remove all the leaves blocking light & new baby growth(and yes it would benifit all other buds already in growth).having 2months still in flower that is but nothing is going to improve that plant in the last 2-3wks...so, good luck and enjoy..

Having 2 months left in flowering, you'd remove leaves? The leaves are what you need MOST, removing them at ANY stage is asking for trouble. if you're worried about light being blocked, get more light, plain and simple, NEVER remove leaves of any size.

You say it'd benefit the buds already in growth, this is flat out false.

I wouldnt remove any leaves at all while flowering, unless they are dead.

Sounds like i should'nt touch the fan leaves than. I'll just let it do it's thing... but for future grows should i trim up the bottom half before flowering or still just let it ride?

I started lollipopping my last few grows, seems to make the gals happier! Not as much bud, but bigger, fuller buds. Try it on a single plant and see if it's what you want to do. Do so about a week or so before flipping to bud, this will give the gal time to heal and she'll be ready to go! If you top, you should let the gal heal a bit longer IMHO, you've just taken the best producer out, she'll need to replace it with a few shoots before you'll really see anything like big colas.

buddogmutt said:
from what ive read so far....all advise is correct(depending on situation)...the factor is how much longer your flowering time is....for the most part, the plant is what it is now..you look atleast 5wks in2 flower(low guess)...if thats on a 8wk flowering strain then it is 2 late for improvement....mine is 13wk so in my case id remove all the leaves blocking light & new baby growth(and yes it would benifit all other buds already in growth).having 2months still in flower that is but nothing is going to improve that plant in the last 2-3wks...so, good luck and enjoy..

It is a bad idea to remove any healthy fan leaves ever. The fan leaves are the little solar panels that turn light, nutrients, and CO2 into good things. All the photosynthesis takes place in the leaves and the fan leaves are responsible for most of it.

Sounds like a plan... thanks for the info everyone.

I agree with trichnut- cut off those lower branches. Those popcorn buds won't amount to much and are depriving your main buds of nutrients.

I know, I know. Shouldn't do it in flower. But it works for me.

BBFan said:
I agree with trichnut- cut off those lower branches. Those popcorn buds won't amount to much and are depriving your main buds of nutrients.

I know, I know. Shouldn't do it in flower. But it works for me.

I am with you bro.....I almost always take the bottom 1/4 off the plant before I flip. I try not to remove any leaves after the 1st week of flower though.

I have removed lower branches from plants during flower before. It is much more beneficial to do it prior to flowering. But it doesn't look like it has been flowering more than 2-3 weeks anyways.

Right now the lower branches are using more photosynthates than they will produce. They aren't producing enough energy to make anything worthwhile IMO. It even looks like some of the lower nodes on the low branches haven't even produced reproductive material. I don't think the plant will miss them.

If I were in your shoes I would remove the lowest 5 or so branches. If your plant stresses and hermies, I will personally take responsibility.

the plant grows fan leaves all its life...all the fan leaves hold goodies for the plant,we all know that...and to believe removing a few is going to hurt or do damage is....well inacurate...it wont do a thing...at what point is your plant starving(or in need of what the fan leaves have stored)...a day or 3 b4 harvest...and with all those other leaves thats grown and stored goodies, do you really think a plant is going to suffer...common sence goes a long way...im not talking about stripping it just the removal of sum....

i remove fan leaves the intire grow of my plants(due to LSTing for PM prevention & air flow)growing a plant sideways its mandatory..and my ladies have never suffered only prospered...ima show you how i know this..look at the pic and find the plant i didnt prune(just to see how jack herer responded to pruning)..notice how its not as far along as the rest. Full of fan leaves and popcorn buds...not all strains responds the same...and i always leave a control..(control=a plant untouched 2 c difference)...so take a look...whats true for 1 strain may be false for another...remember that...if no1 is or has grown your strain...how acurate is the info...

The 2nd plant on the right... baby buds and leaves...it stands out...in other words conduct your own experiments...experience is the only teacher

As I said, to each his own.

As for conducting experiments....reading the OP, this is the "second grow, first successful this far"...now is NOT the time to experiment, jmho. Get a harvest under your belt, grow a few plants and experiment as you wish.

Just my thoughts exactly, thanks Roddy, and everyone.

its always time to experiment...how else do you learn...and having a successfull first grow should make one(i would think)more comfortable with experimenting..exspecially when two oppisite advises are being offered to the same question...if he takes one of our advises..he's experimenting at that point..he is looking for input so obviously his info is short in this area..and recieving oppisite info...how to pic the right one? either way its an experiment..and the fact that he's concidering a little pruning this go around means he wasnt all that pleased with the first grow and is now looking for a better outcome...thats how i see it at least..TRY it...IT WONT KILL THE PLANTS..BOTTOM LINE...and see the difference..at the end..How else will u know???

you cant live life off the next persons experiences...To me growing is the same...too many different major factors to acount for for there to be just one difinitive answer....you gotta see for your self.. what works for you with your strain,atmosphere,grow mediums.technique,climate,hardware,...like nike says...just do it...

Latest posts

Back