flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

adam420

My plant is in it's 6th week of flower and the top looks so sweet with all that buds :) but the bottom is not as filled. I have 2 questions, Question 1 - Can i take some buds off 6 weeks in to flower, would it hurt the plant? Question 2 - I heard if you take the top buds off :) :) it would help the bottom half is that true?

Often buds at different heights on the same plant will be ready up to a week apart.
It doesn't hurt the plant at this point to take off the ripe buds and leave the other ones on.
If the top buds are ready, I'd cut off (top) the part of the plant that is ready and lower the light somewhat.
For instance, if the plant is 36" tall and the buds on the upper 15" are ready, cut off 15" and lower the light 15"

i think there ready, but not 100%, how could i tell? This is going to be my first successful plant,

Here is a picture that will explain that.

2.jpg

How long you let the bud mature also determines the type of high it is. I can't remeber which is which, but it picked alittle early may produce a mind 'buzz' instead of a body 'buzz'. But that is what I have read on the internet. Im still on my first generation so I haven't had the oppertunity to experiment.

Dont think so. The factor that decides that is if its a sativa or indica.

You're absolutely correct joey. The chemical changes that occur throughout maturation influence the "type" of high. Earlyier harvests "within" the window of maturity produce a more "heady" sativa type high, while later harvests, which allow more THC to break down into CBD or CDN, give a more narcotic, body stone.

When to harvest<-link
There are several important points to consider when choosing the optimum time to harvest your marijuana crop. There are different factors to consider between indoor and outdoor marijuana plants. There is the difference between Sativas and Indicas in bloom duration and final effect.

There is the difference between early and late harvest to encourage head to body high respectively. There is the issue of chemistry because what we are really considering in terms of the ripeness relates directly to the chemical nature and state of the plant at harvest.

Calyx swelling is a major indicator of peak maturity. The lowest, oldest calyxes swell first and the swelling works its way up to the highest, youngest flowers on each bud. At peak maturity about 90% of the calyxes will almost look seeded, they are so fat.

Three quarters to 90% of the pistils will have turned reddish brown as well. For a basic Indica this takes well into the seventh week of the flowering cycle.

By the end of the eighth week most of the calyxes will have swollen and a surge of trichome development has coated most of the buds. It is now that the development of a very discerning palate comes into play to determine the finest harvest time. Remember - patience is a virtue and often a discipline.

The ripening signs for most Sativas are highly similar, except extended over a longer period of time. Occasionally, some Sativas have windows of peak harvest that actually open and close. That is, for a week or so the plant may exhibit signs of peak ripeness.

The "high" marijuana provides is caused by a number of different substances contained in the plant, one of which is THC.
The reason some pot makes you sleepy, some gives you the crazy muchies, some makes you laugh like a loon, some makes you horny is the blend of these psycho-active substances; different pct's in different strains.
You can get a number of different highs off the same plant.
Smoking leaf produces a different high than smoking buds of the same plant when 25% of the bud hairs have changed color, which is different from smoking buds when 75% of the bud hairs have changed color, which is different from the high you get from screening the buds to make hash.
Degree of "ripeness" has a lot to do with the high produced.

Latest posts

Back