FOX FARM OCEAN FOREST organic soil...HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
hey guys i was just curious about a few things regarding this soil..

1.) Can i get away with not adding any perlite into this fox farm soil? Is the yield and overall outcome going to be worse, or am i going to still get great results without the perlite?

2.) I just started germinating my purple seeds; when i go to plant them into the 5gal pots(im avoiding any transplanting), does the soil already have to be watered or do i water once i plant the germinated seeds??

3.) lastly, how far away do i keep my 400w mh light away from my newly planted seeds?

...............thanks guys, i appreciate it

1. Fox Farm is great right out of the bag
2. Water lightly AFTER you plant
3. start with 3 feet away, drop 4"-5" a day until about 16 inches away. Keep an eye out for light burn, if you see it back the lights off a little.

If you're going to start them under the 400w light then i would suggest putting a little piece of plastic wrap over the top of the buckets to act like a greenhouse for the really young tender seedlings. Just take it off about a day or 2 after they first break ground and they'll be fine. If you leave it on for 2 days though make sure you take it off and change out air. Good luck

foxfarm is great, here is my advice.

Dont add perlite or vermiculite, it has plenty.
Why are you avoiding transplant? Start in 20oz Solo cups, with plastic wrap over them, click my sig if you want to know how to get the best, and fastest results with my method, hey it works.
If your dead set on avoiding transplanting ( why, i dont know) then you are gonna wanna hold off on nutes a bit longer, that much soil, depending on your watering habbits, will hold more natural nutrients a little bit longer since your using such a big container.

Hope this helps.

as for lights do this. Start with the light about 4' above the plants. put your hand directly above the plants canapy or tops. Lower the light until you feel the warmth of the light, but not enough warmth that it warms your skin after a minute. If you are not air cooled, then you need to be at least a couple feet away, but if you are air cooled, like me, then let the light fall directly on top of the plants, the impact will kill them, but the heat wont, (dont really drop your light on the plants, making a point about how cool a air cooled 400w is)

appreciate the help jbonez...lol n idk why im avoiding transplanting, i guess messin with the roots makes me a lil nervous

you could put them in 12 oz sytrofoam cup then just cut the bottom out and put on top of a larger container. the roots will grow into the larger container without disturbing the roots.

Latest posts

Back