Geography's effects on terpenes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpas48

Reaction score
According to this:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27604856/plants develop terpenes in response to their environment. I understand this to mean that acapulco gold, grown in Oaxaca, will have a different terpene profile from one grown in Kansas. So, in effect, this little gal's genetics are always changing in response to her surroundings because she is an extremely intelligent plant.

According to this:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27604856/plants develop terpenes in response to their environment. I understand this to mean that acapulco gold, grown in Oaxaca, will have a different terpene profile from one grown in Kansas. So, in effect, this little gal's genetics are always changing in response to her surroundings because she is an extremely intelligent plant.

good article

for a long time ganja farmers could not figure out why their Mowie Wowie grown in Florida did not match what they smoked in Kona Hawaii

maybe in some examples the pot could be stronger

Interesting. Wonder what effect lights have. I know some of the strains I grow herm. Jackie O, and Big Sandy Holy weed hermed. When grown outside there were no issues. I also had Tres Haze that I got from Boo and it hermed bad when Boo had no issues. Both under lights. Difference was Florida vs Colorado and sea level vs 6,000 ft in elevation.

Interesting. Wonder what effect lights have. I know some of the strains I grow herm. Jackie O, and Big Sandy Holy weed hermed. When grown outside there were no issues. I also had Tres Haze that I got from Boo and it hermed bad when Boo had no issues. Both under lights. Difference was Florida vs Colorado and sea level vs 6,000 ft in elevation.
I’m sure there is something to that. Humidity I’ll bet has a lot to do with it too…

I’m sure there is something to that. Humidity I’ll bet has a lot to do with it too…
Big and I deal with pretty much the same humidity and his Big Sandy was fine. Hmmm. I tend to think it is light stress. I keep the lights close to the canopy.

Big and I deal with pretty much the same humidity and his Big Sandy was fine. Hmmm. I tend to think it is light stress. I keep the lights close to the canopy.
Yeah but big grows outside and you in a tent. I think it makes a world of difference and I’ll bet the temps in boos tent and grow room in Fl are about 30 degrees difference too than your tent. I keep mine low too usually ending up just inches away but never had light stress I don’t think from it. I’m looking forward to growing again outside in Va next year so I can compare outdoor Va to outdoor Co same strain.

yeah , the Jackie-O was like clockwork..take her longer than 65-67 days and one was guaranteed some yellow nanners

the BSHW has Thai in her and is not stable in regards to herms…..some of the hermie plants are also some of the most powerful ive dealt with

Subbie, you'll find that the yield will be bigger outdoors.

Back in the day, some of the best weed I ever smoked was grown on the south side of Blue Mountain in Jamaica. You could almost trip on it.
I’m trying for that sweet outdoor stuff. I grew 4 plants outside for the first time last year. Learned a lot of lessons and found both good things and bad things about this area. I lost two beautiful plants to bud rot one which had baseball bat colas (I actually cried…) but I agree the outside grows seem to be better yield and fatter weed or they must be just due to Mother Nature. You can fake her with lights and fans and tricks but you can’t fool her. I’m gonna try to work with her again next year to see if maybe all four of my outdoor plants do a bit better with one grow under my belt in this area.

Subbie, you'll find that the yield will be bigger outdoors.

Back in the day, some of the best weed I ever smoked was grown on the south side of Blue Mountain in Jamaica. You could almost trip on it.

was there in ‘84 on business and made a point to visit the Blue Mountains

the best coffee in the world is grown up there

good article

for a long time ganja farmers could not figure out why their Mowie Wowie grown in Florida did not match what they smoked in Kona Hawaii

maybe in some examples the pot could be stronger
The soil in Maui is chock full of volcanic nutrients. My wife and I went there about 5 years ago and the local fruit and veggies tasted amazing. We started out eating eggs and bacon at breakfast but quickly transitioned to melon and berries. They were sweet like candy with some indescribable undertone flavor.

I’m trying for that sweet outdoor stuff. I grew 4 plants outside for the first time last year. Learned a lot of lessons and found both good things and bad things about this area. I lost two beautiful plants to bud rot one which had baseball bat colas (I actually cried…) but I agree the outside grows seem to be better yield and fatter weed or they must be just due to Mother Nature. You can fake her with lights and fans and tricks but you can’t fool her. I’m gonna try to work with her again next year to see if maybe all four of my outdoor plants do a bit better with one grow under my belt in this area.
Hi SG, I'm new here, today's my 1st day with the group and your my first poster. Anyway, I've grown outdoor a lot of years in north Florida, a few miles south of Geo.
My girls are kept in the south elevation up against the side of a garage, in 5 gal fabric pots, I have a canopy that sticks out about 6' at the roof fascia of the garage that covers my plants. When it rains, they only get wind blown wetness and not saturated, which is the cause of mold and worms. During our warm nights I have a shop fan blowing on them, I turn it off during the day.
Without that canopy, the plants would get the full effect of our rain's, which is not good on warm humid nights.
Being the south elevation, they get plenty of sun.
Forgive me for jumping in on your post, I just blew an indica and got that feeling that I should through out a few hints on outdoor growing before hitting the sack.

Hi SG, I'm new here, today's my 1st day with the group and your my first poster. Anyway, I've grown outdoor a lot of years in north Florida, a few miles south of Geo.
My girls are kept in the south elevation up against the side of a garage, in 5 gal fabric pots, I have a canopy that sticks out about 6' at the roof fascia of the garage that covers my plants. When it rains, they only get wind blown wetness and not saturated, which is the cause of mold and worms. During our warm nights I have a shop fan blowing on them, I turn it off during the day.
Without that canopy, the plants would get the full effect of our rain's, which is not good on warm humid nights.
Being the south elevation, they get plenty of sun.
Forgive me for jumping in on your post, I just blew an indica and got that feeling that I should through out a few hints on outdoor growing before hitting the sack.
Good morning Gary and welcome to the passion. I know your area very well as lived in South Georgia just about 3 miles from the Florida line off I95 for over 30 years before I retired here in Virginia. Yes it would benefit to have a canopy of some sorts but I don’t have that option here unless I would build something 9which is not totally out of the question) plus I like the benefit of mother natures way regardless. I do plan on drying my plants off after huge rains next year and using some different techniques to prevent bud rot. Many folks got the rot here last year cats too but they were mostly new growers as our state just became legal to grow recently so everyone is getting their feet wet so to speak. Your setup sounds good with the fans adding additional wind for your plants. did your plants finish up successfully? what strains did you grow? In the 5 gal pots only or any directly in the ground? How about yield? Glad you joined the passion and looking forward to seeing what you do this year. Start a grow page if you want to. It helps as a reminder of any mistakes or good advice for the next year and is nice to go back and see how your plants have improved. You can check out my garden page to get an idea. Just search for SubGirls garden In the search block. Glad that I was your first post. We do have a bit of fun here too so jump on in. 😊

Last edited:
Good morning Gary and welcome to the passion. I know your area very well as lived in South Georgia just about 3 miles from the Florida line off I95 for over 30 years before I retired here in Virginia. Yes it would benefit to have a canopy of some sorts but I don’t have that option here unless I would build something 9which is not totally out of the question) plus I like the benefit of mother natures way regardless. I do plan on drying my plants off after huge rains next year and using some different techniques to prevent bud rot. Many folks got the rot here last year cats too but they were mostly new growers as our state just became legal to grow recently so everyone is getting their feet wet so to speak. Your setup sounds good with the fans adding additional wind for your plants. did your plants finish up successfully? what strains did you grow? In the 5 gal pots only or any directly in the ground? How about yield? Glad you joined the passion and looking forward to seeing what you do this year. Start a grow page if you want to. It helps as a reminder of any mistakes or good advice for the next year and is nice to go back and see how your plants have improved. You can check out my garden page to get an idea. Just search for SubGirls garden In the search block. Glad that I was your first post. We do have a bit of fun here too so jump on in. 😊
Good day SG, sorry for taking so long getting back to you, we had a housefull of guest over the weekend and just now getting back to normal living, though nothing seems normal for me anymore.

Wow, we were almost neighbors as one time. I need to get over to the new members intro and say something to the gang.

I grow in 5 gal fabric pots above ground and my soil is homemade, or was homemade, this coming season I'll be growing in Roots Organics Formula 707. Just ordered 9 cubic feet from amazon yesterday.

Ma and I are heavy smokers (pot that is) as well as decarb for hot drinks. We both are retired so we don't have anyone to answer to anyone. My preferred grow is an equal amount of sativa and indica, wirh a mixture of different levels thc and cbd. Our day starts off with a heavy laden sativa and as the day progress the we tend to work toward the indica and by nighttime we're into the heavy indica to sleep on.

Last year was probably the worst grow I’ve ever had. I took a few days off during late vegetable for a hospital stay and by the time I got back to tending the garden, worms had taken over. Luckily there were a few stems not harmed, I cut off and gave to a friend with an indoor setup and he eventually get them going and had a decent yield.

Fortunately I grow more strains than we can consume in a year so we had smoke from a year or two past to work from. I’ll be putting out 13 plants this season and if they are successful, I’ll have a reserve put back for whenever as well for guests.
They are Dr. Grinspoon, G13 Haze, ACDC, Harliquin, Godzilla Glue #4, BCN Critical, Girl Scout Cookies, Gorilla Glue, White Widow, Dos Si Dos 13, Sugar Black Rose and Eleven Roses.

Thanks for the invite to check out your garden, I'll be going there next.

Take care,
garybo

Good day SG, sorry for taking so long getting back to you, we had a housefull of guest over the weekend and just now getting back to normal living, though nothing seems normal for me anymore.

Wow, we were almost neighbors as one time. I need to get over to the new members intro and say something to the gang.

I grow in 5 gal fabric pots above ground and my soil is homemade, or was homemade, this coming season I'll be growing in Roots Organics Formula 707. Just ordered 9 cubic feet from amazon yesterday.

Ma and I are heavy smokers (pot that is) as well as decarb for hot drinks. We both are retired so we don't have anyone to answer to anyone. My preferred grow is an equal amount of sativa and indica, wirh a mixture of different levels thc and cbd. Our day starts off with a heavy laden sativa and as the day progress the we tend to work toward the indica and by nighttime we're into the heavy indica to sleep on.

Last year was probably the worst grow I’ve ever had. I took a few days off during late vegetable for a hospital stay and by the time I got back to tending the garden, worms had taken over. Luckily there were a few stems not harmed, I cut off and gave to a friend with an indoor setup and he eventually get them going and had a decent yield.

Fortunately I grow more strains than we can consume in a year so we had smoke from a year or two past to work from. I’ll be putting out 13 plants this season and if they are successful, I’ll have a reserve put back for whenever as well for guests.
They are Dr. Grinspoon, G13 Haze, ACDC, Harliquin, Godzilla Glue #4, BCN Critical, Girl Scout Cookies, Gorilla Glue, White Widow, Dos Si Dos 13, Sugar Black Rose and Eleven Roses.

Thanks for the invite to check out your garden, I'll be going there next.

Take care,
garybo
I’m sorry about your last years grow. It doesn’t take long to go to hell in a hand basket. It’s good that you had backup weed. I’ve only been growing for a couple years since I retired. I have a tent but also look forward to my second outdoor grow. We can have four plants here so I’m hoping this year I can save all four of my outside plants. When do you put yours outside and do you start them inside? I started mine inside last year and had revegging on two plants.

Welcome, Gary to the Passion. I think you will find this a great place to hang out. Introduce yourself and then Try the Island Of Misfits thread when you get time. A bunch of fking stoners hang out there and talk plenty shit. 😁
I lived in Florida a few years chasing work. Lived in New Port Richey and Hudson. I had a big grow room inside a walk-in closet. Didnt have to worry about rain. Loved the fishing and i still miss it.
Now my ass is back in Texas where i belong. 🤠 😁

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/island-of-misfits.77754/post-1250905

Latest posts

Back