Getting good useable water from a dehumidifier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexsus2889

Reaction score
Hey peeps, I have a really leaky basement, like amazing leaky.. I recently put a 70 pint (about 9 gallons) dehumidifier in to cope with the extreme dampness of the area. It fills in about 1-2.5 days.
I was just curious and took out my TDS and PH meter and it turns out that the PPM comes in at 12-15 and the PH is 7-7.2. The water is super clear and looks free of mold. Would I be able to use this for a DWC grow?
I feel like this would be a pretty good use of otherwise useless water. My water from the tap (which is what I current use) is about 220 PPM @ 6.8 PH give or take. Someone please give me good news on this cause I am pumped right now. It would save me from buying a reverse osmosis! If I collected the water right when filled I could exclusively (-some ice) use this water for all my plants!

No. Look into legionnaires disease. It comes from this type of water. I pour mine in the drain.

Good info OG Don't need anyone doing something like that and getting legionnaires :S

Um I might be havin this here legionnairs desease i reckon but cant seem to find the niffty hat those chaps got to wear LOL but I did that for a season ifin I may admit. I had dehumid runnin and used the water always to water me plants they turned out fine but guess by these here folks I might have a problem now.

BWD

Isn't there anything I can add to the water that wont harm the plants that may kill any bacteria?

My general rule of thumb for water is, if I won't drink it, it doesn't go on my plants.

Wet

vexsus2889 said:
Isn't there anything I can add to the water that wont harm the plants that may kill any bacteria?
Not really. Bleach won't eradicate leigonella. You would need to boil the water.

How is it that a dehumidifier that is well cleaned can get this bacteria if it is kept clean and drained quickly? Why is that more susceptible to legionaires than an open container of water that is being aerated for use within a couple days? Not meaning to be contrary but curious about why this would occur this way.

This bacteria is aerobic, it loves o2. Most units are impossible to clean thoroughly without tearing them apart. A dehumidifier has cold and hot coil back to back, these would be improbable to clean...Even if you could open the unit it would basically have to be destroyed to scrub all the fins.

I thought chlorine killed everything... Why is a dehumidifier more susceptable than the aerating container of PH'd water? The heated coils?

Exactly^ it lives on the coils. Bleach definitely doesn't kill EVERYTHING. It doesn't eradicate brown algae diatoms, I know that one from experience.

This one's been covered before on here... The condensate from a dehumidifier can/will be filled with all manner of toxic crap. The metal, the solder used to join the condenser connections, etc are all made from nasty level metals. Even if 'purified' of bacteria the water will be filled with nastiness and poisons. Nothing about the condenser in a dehumidifier is food-grade nor needs to be; so they use the cheapest, most toxic crud metal they can find to manufacture the units. And since most of those applicances now come from China, they are probably even worse.

Do not use water from a dehumidifier to consume or to water plants. Its like using cheap plastic containers for your grow - you are passing toxins and poisons to your plants. You may - or may not - taste them outright, but they will end up in your smoke!

Sometimes its what you can't see that is dangerous.

This one's been covered before on here... The condensate from a dehumidifier can/will be filled with all manner of toxic crap. The metal, the solder used to join the condenser connections, etc are all made from nasty level metals. Even if 'purified' of bacteria the water will be filled with nastiness and poisons. Nothing about the condenser in a dehumidifier is food-grade nor needs to be; so they use the cheapest, most toxic crud metal they can find to manufacture the units. And since most of those applicances now come from China, they are probably even worse.

Do not use water from a dehumidifier to consume or to water plants. Its like using cheap plastic containers for your grow - you are passing toxins and poisons to your plants. You may - or may not - taste them outright, but they will end up in your smoke!

Sometimes its what you can't see that is dangerous.

R/O System here I come. :(

So what are the symptoms of this here Leagionairs desease anyway? Couse I have notice things be standin to attention every morning without a buggle call but all stands at ease once I pee. Hopin I get better I guess.

BWD

Wait BWD...are you worried about your morning wood? :rofl:

The symptoms would be close to pneumonia...;) I think your fine.

OGKushman said:
Wait BWD...are you worried about your morning wood? :rofl:

The symptoms would be close to pneumonia...;) I think your fine.

Yup some call it morning wood, wife calls it quit pokin to me arse guess it be natural then. There yual have it water be fine just me into the wood gain. Thank OG aim to point it as normal then ;) Hay hun dont ware any undies to bed night goin to drink some water!

BWD

Latest posts

Back