Good idea? Bad idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizGig

Reaction score
I'm starting on a new grow, my "baby" is a week old and 1.5" tall (not sure if this matters at all?)...Anyways, I plan to keep it on a 24 hour light-cycle during the veg. stage. However, if I take it out from under the light and put it in a sun-spot in the house to get 4-6 hrs. of direct sunlight (weather permitting), will this help or hurt my plant?

My thinking is, I want to cut back on my electric bill, and nothing is better than actual sunlight...But, will the light changes alter the speed of my grow for the better or worse? :watchplant:

i would leave it under the lights.either you grow outside or inside.might stress the plant.jmo

FizGig said:
I'm starting on a new grow, my "baby" is a week old and 1.5" tall (not sure if this matters at all?)...Anyways, I plan to keep it on a 24 hour light-cycle during the veg. stage. However, if I take it out from under the light and put it in a sun-spot in the house to get 4-6 hrs. of direct sunlight (weather permitting), will this help or hurt my plant?

My thinking is, I want to cut back on my electric bill, and nothing is better than actual sunlight...But, will the light changes alter the speed of my grow for the better or worse? :watchplant:

I do this. I posted about this a lot as well. Direct/indirect sunlight is more intense then your cfls and covers the whole spectrum of light. I try and let them get at least a couple of hours of daylight a day, otherwise its under cfls 24 hrs a day.
I am even going to be using the sun to flower my plants w/ the cfls. I think the results will be bigger and better yields. As far as stress is concerned I think the plant can handle just being moved from spot to spot. Its a weed and is resilient.

omni, that was what I was thinking, also.

Bad thing is, I am known to be inconsistant with moving the plant back under the light, and I wonder if THIS reason can (would?) slow down my grow? (As in, leaving the house and not getting back until after dark.)...Then again, as long as it's not in the dark for 12 hrs., maybe it doesn't matter?

So, I just wonder if I'm wasting my time moving the plant day-to-day, or is it beneficial to my babe?

If you might not be consistant with them I would leave them inside, reduces chances of error. Lord knows I've meant to be home by sunset and came stumbling home at 4 am, so yea, mine stay inside.

omnigr33n said:
I am even going to be using the sun to flower my plants w/ the cfls. I think the results will be bigger and better yields. As far as stress is concerned I think the plant can handle just being moved from spot to spot. Its a weed and is resilient.

I would be really concerned about the different light intensity when you go into flowering switching back and forth between sun and CFLs. CFLs put out so little light and the sun puts out so much light that I think this would stress your plants a great deal. Marijuana is not a weed--it is an herb and while wild hemp may be very resilient, a flowering marijuana plant that is exposed to stress is not. IMO, the result may not be "bigger and better yields", but hermies.

I prefer to leave them alone. While the broad-spectrum is appealing, the sunlight in a window is quite weak. Even on the sunniest day, the window provides less light than the plant would get on an overcast day outside.

Latest posts

Back