Grow Box for Flowering Question??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devildog5524

Still learning everyday!!
Reaction score
Would this be a good sized grow box for flowering 4 plants? And would a 70 watt HPS cover 4 plants or will I have to get a 150 watt?

Here is a scan of the box I'm going to build:

devildog5524 said:
Would this be a good sized grow box for flowering 4 plants? And would a 70 watt HPS cover 4 plants or will I have to get a 150 watt?

That might be good for one plant. I'm just going from your lighting specs alone as I can't see a pic.

150W Standard HPS Lamp = 15,800 Lumens = 3.16 Sqft = 5000 lumens per sqrd Ft

i dont think you would get 4 plants in that size area.

The dang pic won't download for me. The box is 70" X 43" X 32" with 10" upper intake and a lower exhaust fan, on each of the sides.

Thanks, this is still in the design stage right now. I will be running one 150 watt HPS, so I still need to know if this box will be able to hold 4 plants????

devildog5524 said:
The dang pic won't download for me. The box is 70" X 43" X 32" with 10" upper intake and a lower exhaust fan, on each of the sides.

your space is around 21 sq ft.. in order to get 3000 lumens per sq ft during veg and 5000 during flower you need to be runnin a 1000w.. a 600w would b jus short of wut you need.. you need to think about puttin alot more light in there

yea think a 150 watt hps would do ok in a smaller area for 4 plants, despite what others will tell you I have had a 250 watt in a 3x3 with one huge mother in flower and 10 clones and i m having great success so maybe get another 150 o a 250, but hey do what works for u man you will hear alot of diff opinions:cool:

devildog5524 said:

also yes you can do 4.. you could even do 6 if you like

devildog5524 said:

Dimension are generally written as L x W x H--so, is your box 70" long 43" wide and 32" high? I suspect that it is 43 x 32 x 70? Lighting needs are figured as lumens per sq ft. You need 5000 lumens per sq ft to flower. A 150W puts out about 15,000 lumens and is good for 3 sq ft. If your space is 43 x 32, you have a little under 10 sq ft and will need a 400W HPS to be adequately lit.

As already mentioned, since hot air rises, you should have your exhaust at the top and your intake on the bottom. What is the cfm of the fan(s) you are running?

Thanks alot guys, Your advice is most valuable in this stage of my grow. Green Mojo to you all.

devildog5524 said:
43 X 32 X 70 Hemp

you have about 9 sq ft.. since you put demensions like that.. a 400 w WILL run jus fine.. jus over the requirements for veg/flower lumen output.. as long as you get proper ventilation goin u will b good.. and you can fit 4 in there but it will b tight

Have you chosen a strain you want to grow yet. check out some journals and try choose a skinny one so that over crowding wont be an issue.

As everyone else said 400w hps will be fine for flowering and veg, I have also hear it is best to have a passive intake and use any fans for exhaust. That will give you better air exchange

devildog5524 said:
Would a 150 be enough for just two plants?

Light needs are figured by sq footage, not the number of plants. IMO, 2 plants in 3 sq ft would work--you want a strain that doesn't get bushy.

Latest posts

Back