Grow Lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Presenting Issue: Grow lights.

HI yual; as an oldtimer, 73 years young. I grew for a couple years in the mid 70’s, old school backyard growing technique where starters were planted among the vegetables and the final product was affectionately referred to as the 5 minute buzz.

With my current plants, I started the seeds in a small hydroponic growing kit in Feb. and in May planted them in large containers and since going thru the transition from water to soil they appear to be doing well? I want to move them inside my shop and set aside an area of 4W x 6L x 8 feet high. I would prefer going with an LED grow light system but finding local growing supply outlets are discouraging me from going with LED and suggest another alternative, explaining LED bulbs are in their infancy and not quite at the stage at producing the light and heat required to obtain the best results???

I feel fortunate that I came across (stumbled) across MP website clearly lots of knowledgeable members. I would appreciate comments and suggestions and perhaps once I have progressed past the infancy stage of growing I can contribute.

Thank you.

‘Problem with engaging in useless activity is never knowing when you are done’

2E2AED0D-0871-4225-A819-727B1A525448.jpeg
Check out Rapid Led, they’ve got diy kits, my six hundred watt setup fills a 4x4 tent

I started with those led bulbs like that...but for just a little more $$.$$, you can put together something much better...there are “ cob kits” all over the place, I chose something a little different and they’re working well for me. Doesn’t require an ac, though I only use them in (outdoors in spring thru fall) winter. Pretty cheap to operate as well as buy, they provide very good coverage of a space and are customizable in kelvin color...Solstrip.com
My setup https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/diy-led-with-mid-power-chips-and-no-fan.74993/

Last edited:
Angie and Dan, greatly appreciate comments and or suggestions, intend to do some research on 'Rapid Led kits', again I thank you!

Last edited:
I linked to the website U posted; wow lot of info, intend browsing site for options. I thank you!!

Last edited:
I can not thank everyone enough for their comments, suggestions and links to the various sources of information. I can see LED lights are doable, I will be browsing the various MP forums and 'how to/DIY' website links.
Again, I thank U's!!

Last edited:
Lightspeed -- Welcome to MP !-- Come on over to the Home of the Old Farts Club in the coffee table section !-- There may be a senior pot farmer or 2 around !
I run a small 4 part bloom rotation -- Aero under LEDS and use the Mars Hydro 300 Reflector Series!-- Love my LEDS!

Thank you Keef, intend wondering over to the ole farts club and perhaps find a few who can relate to ole school tech which for me is basically a 'plug and play' where no assembly is required> Since last post I have been letting my fingers do some online browsing and kinda looking at the Horticulture light group HLG 300 full-spectrum 285 watt quantum board Dimmable LED 3000L Spectrum? Although I found the DIY system comments helpful not sure I understand current vs voltage vs watts and whether to install in parallel or in series??

Anyhow, intend continue to shop and in the meantime let the girls bask in the sun until I come up with an alternative and able to move them indoors.

Those will probably serve you well but My guess is you will need two for a 4x4 space, I don't care what they say. I made the switch from 600 watt HID to 600 watt equivalent led and well, lets just put it like this. In my garden it took two 600 watt leds to properly light a 4x6 space. Now I have a 8x8 ft space and it requires 5 600 watt fixtures or essentially the same # of lights I would have used had they been HID. For $329.00 this really will make you happy and you actually will be able to use the dimming feature to your advantage by controlling the light spectrum you supply your plants. Oh and save money too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/VIPARSPECT/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased Lush LED's and am very excited about them. They cost a lot but are worth it so far, have had a big one over a year and just got a smaller one. They are plug and play. I use them to germinate seeds all the way to harvest. They have great customer service and will get you a replacement if they fail, mine have not. Anyway, that is just the ones i use, lots of folks use other kinds and we seem to all be pretty happy.

Oops, i forgot to say welcome to MP, we are glad you found us.

Rosebud, St. Nick, I thank you. I am trying to brain storm with little to work with. In my online browsing I came across yet another possibility, the King Plus 1200w, appears cost is such I could perhaps purchase 2 for about the same/similar cost of a single kit by other brands? At this point looking forward to getting thru my 1st growth season, if all goes well then intend supplementing existing kit,

4 of the 5 seeds I started took with a couple are struggling more than the other 2? Measured and if set side by side they take up approx. 4x4 area. I intend to include the 8x4x6 growing tent in my purchase, appears customer reviews seem favorable my thinkin is for few $ more I would go larger in event decide to upgrade?

Anyhow, as a newbie do not hesitate, I greatly appreciate suggestions and comments!! Thank you!

Last edited:
Find I am faced with a dilemma but time to make a decision so going to check out the Viparspectra at this time, eliminated the King Plus based on customer reviews and a toss up between the Vipar and Lush?

Thanks for the input!!

Last edited:
No matter which wy you go, it beats buying replacement bulbs every third grow and I'm saving about 20% on my electric (which I just turn around and use to upgrade other parts of the garden. Its addictive!

St Nick: Since familiar with the Vipar and although the item includes enclosed fans I am considering including a 5x5 mylar tent; if so, whether U have an opinion should I add a fan and filter? I promise to put this thread to rest.

Last edited:
St Nick: Since familiar with the Vipar and although the item includes enclosed fans I am considering including a 5x5 mylar tent; if so, whether U have an opinion should I add a fan and filter? I promise to put this thread to rest.

Last edited:
Decided to place the order for the tent, grow lite, and accessories and hold off on the fan and filter, figure I can toss them in later? .

I thank U!

Last edited:
The light does run pretty cool with the installed fans but don't be misled they do produce heat. Due to chassis design you just don't feel it as much. The fan and filter are about environment control. Around the 4th week of flower you just may be wishing you made the investment. You definitely need a method of moving air inside the tent and a way to vent excess heat. Supposedly anyway, I don't grow in a tent I grow in a 14x14 room that is partitioned into 2 grow rooms and a hallway kinda thing. Each room has a filter/fan that exhaust the heat out the roof and input fans in the door to supply cool air from the hallway. Didn't happen overnight though, I been at this for a while.

Latest posts

Back