growing regular old tobbaco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have about 60 little tobacco seedlings (that I started about a month late:eek: ) that I'm planning to put in the ground once they get another inch or two taller.

My soil is fairly sandy, but spent some time as a horse pasture/grass land so it has halfway-good fertility. I got the neighbor to use a big John Deere disc harrow (ever try to rototill 3 year old sod?).

So this whole thing is less than idea--I wish I had it turned under last fall (and maybe manured), I wish I had the seeds started on time...

I'm wondering though--I should be able to use my regular 400W HPS and keep them on 18 hour light for a week to really crank up the growth rate, wouldn't you think? It's just, I have about 3 weeks of wasted time to try and catch up on.

Any thoughts on what kind of ferts to use outdoors? I was hoping to shovel in a good load of rotted horse bedding, a handful of bone meal, a tsp of lime, and a pinch of blood meal.

Also, any thoughts on curing it?

Sorry for all the questions--I really should have got this figured out around Feb! I'm up here in WI, about 45 degrees north.

Trying tobacco for the first time this year as well. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back