Happy Halloween Everyone

• Thread starter THE BROTHER'S GRUNT
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
happy samhain. the new year for us celts.

All Hallow’s Eve is the eve of All Hallow’s Day (November 1). And for once, even popular tradition remembers that the eve is more important than the day itself, the traditional celebration focusing on October 31, beginning at sundown. And this seems only fitting for the great Celtic New Year’s festival. Not that the holiday was Celtic only. In fact, it is startling how many ancient and unconnected cultures (the Egyptians and pre-Spanish Mexicans, for example) celebrated this as a festival of the dead. But the majority of our modern traditions can be traced to the British Isles.

The Celts called it Samhain, which means “summer’s end”, according to their ancient twofold division of the year, when summer ran from Beltane to Samhain and winter ran from Samhain to Beltane. (Some modern covens echo this structure by letting the high priest “rule” the coven beginning on Samhain, with rulership returned to the high priestess at Beltane.) According to the later fourfold division of the year, Samhain is seen as “autumn’s end” and the beginning of winter. Samhain is pronounced (depending on where you’re from) as “sow-in” (in Ireland), or “sow-een” (in Wales), or “sav-en” (in Scotland), or (inevitably) “sam-hane” (in the U.S., where we don’t speak Gaelic).

Not only is Samhain the end of autumn; it is also, more importantly, the end of the old year and the beginning of the new. Celtic New Year’s Eve, when the new year begins with the onset of the dark phase of the year, just as the new day begins at sundown. There are many representations of Celtic Gods with two faces, and it surely must have been one of them who held sway over Samhain. Like his Roman counterpart Janus, he would straddle the threshold, one face turned toward the past, in commemoration of those who died during the last year, and one face gazing hopefully toward the future, mystic eyes attempting to pierce the veil and divine what the coming year holds. These two themes, celebrating the dead and divining the future, are inexorably intertwined in Samhain, as they are likely to be in any New Year’s celebration.

As a feast of the dead, this was the one night when the dead could, if they wished, return to the land of the living, to celebrate with their family, tribe, or clan. And so the great burial mounds of Ireland (sidhe mounds) were opened up, with lighted torches lining the walls, so the dead could find their way. Extra places were set at the table and food set out for any who had died that year. And there are many stories that tell of Irish heroes making raids on the Underworld while the gates of faery stood open, though all must return to their appointed places by cockcrow.

my it was a cold one! We have about a 40-45 minute walk back from the pub, and yes the smoke halfway home was good but it was darn cold! Lovely clear skies too, I saw a Taurid meteor (shooting star to those not in the know) that was brilliantly bright, burning through Gemini :D

Hope everyone had a great night!

Well, a guy in front of a convenient store near me tripped and smashed his nose up into his brain and died....

A poor little boy got shot in the head...

And, a buddy of mine got hit by a car going 50 mph and he flew 30 feet.

Not the best Halloween this year.

DomsChron said:
Well, a guy in front of a convenient store near me tripped and smashed his nose up into his brain and died....

A poor little boy got shot in the head...

And, a buddy of mine got hit by a car going 50 mph and he flew 30 feet.

Not the best Halloween this year.

sorry to hear... few months ago.. my brother got caught up with the guy that have ak47, he sticked that gun to my brother s head... telling him where to go.. told him to follow that car.. he did and pulled up by that car the guy took his gun and shot 18 times to the car where the man sit by the driver side.. he got killed my brother saw that guy holding his liver and passed out.. it did freak my brother out.. they left my brother dropped him off with huge promise of not telling anyone.. then he went straight to his dad... his dad turn my brother in.. we has to give up some of acres of land to the state.. to get my brother out... (sigh) that guy who killed is in jail. and won't confess.. (bit my tongue) hmm....(sigh) right now my brother is in school and straight up!!.. :hitchair::hairpull::mad: now he can't be around public that much.. if he need mojo he only can see me for that..safe than sorry...

Wow man, I heard you say you had to give up land and stuff but this story is much more in detail. Hope all goes well papa.

my god guys, sorry to hear this. Doms sorry you didn't have a great time this year, thats awful :(

Thank's thorn, I received news from him that he's alright! The heavens took two young boys last night but they spared my buddy.

He has only a scratch! Well, a few but compared to broken bones...internal bleeding...he has none of this. So I am very glad.

My smoking brang the karma spirits out!

ok man, i'm so glad to hear your friend is ok and my thoughts are with those 2 boys. Was just their time.

I believe that some people do have an influence on when it is people's time.

Because why else would they be punised if they did what was meant to happen?

I think whenever someone kills someone the reason they are being punished is because they ruined some poor persons life.

Seems like it makes sense. Just my opinion, it's not religious one at all. Just seems like thats how KARMA works.

yea everyones different and we all believe diferent things and how the world works, if we didn't it'd be one hell of a boring place to live! I would hate to be remembered for who i have been over the last few years what with the depression and anger i feel i could be so much more as a person and hope to change things over this coming year :) Some things are just sad, like innocent children getting caught up in things that were never their problem like child abuse leading to murder that kinda thing, and those are the ones that really make me sad. But who knows, maybe we all do live many lives and we are only paying for what was done in the past.

Latest posts

Back