Has anyone tried

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viper1951

legalization Warrior
Reaction score
has anyone tried to shorten a plant ? by cutting it off just above the ground and taking a few feet off the bottom of the top and put them back together ? I know I have had plants that I have broken and just taped them back together tell they heal but was wondering if anyone has tried to cut 2 feet out of the middle of the plant . ? If not then I will give this a try and make a report on it . I have a jack herer mom who I really want to keep but she has gotten too tall and topping is not an option what I want to do is cut the plant off the main stalk at about 6 inches above the ground and then take about 2 feet off the main stalk and reattach it to the 6 inch stump any info would be greatly considered Thanks

Are you serious??? Surely this post is a joke. Why would traditional topping not be an option, yet this seem viable? Good luck with this venture pal......

I have seen this work with other plants, but not sure if you really would want to stress out a mother like that. I def wanna know how it works out though.

well the plant is 7 ft tall in a 7 ft room .it is just an experemint the problem is now get this all the lower branches have been pruned so only the upper remains about a ft of which has leaves so I figured I going to put it down I might as well try something that might not have been done. was just asking a question and this is an "experiment " who knows maybe someone else faces this problem i'm sure I'm not the only on but I am willing to sacrifice this plant to the experimint wasn't asking for insults. just good info if it has been tried or not . maybe it's not your cup of tea or it doesn't twist your nuts but doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried last I looked this site was about growing ! not insults !and thing to do with growing

You can try to tie it down horizontally like i did recently. Rather than tie a few nodes down i tied the top of the 3ft plant down horizontally i plan to have it grow this way through the life time of the plant. Although the nodes are now closer to 10in now but its better than 3ft for my setup. There are pics under my post in this forum called 2nd grow quick question. Id paste the hyperlink but i am on my iphone.

Shockeclipse said:
I have seen this work with other plants, but not sure if you really would want to stress out a mother like that. I def wanna know how it works out though.

I will post pics and a video of how I do it for you and we will see how it goes
Like I said this is an"Experiment " I have had broken plants in the past that I taped up and it worked fine, this will be my first attempt at cutting a plant in half on propose to see if it will grow back together and survive at a shorter height so I'm out a plant I gots lots of them viper1951

Why not make the whole plant a clone????? Just prune everything up to a foot from the top, just chop it in half and stick it in a rooting cube......

Friend-of-a-friend said:
Why not make the whole plant a clone????? Just prune everything up to a foot from the top, just chop it in half and stick it in a rooting cube......
too much transpiration for one.. IMO. But, I have my 'doubts' about the probability of success with "splicing/grafting" a large amount of vegetative material, too.
There are some materials/products "for" splicing/grafting plants that might aid you viper. In addition, I suggest google up the terms grafting or splicing plants, for more indepth instructions..."if" you aren't well versed on the subject ;)

Why not bend it over like an accordion, back and forth, do it like at foot at a time and bend itself on it self? Just a thought.

pcduck said:
Why not bend it over like an accordion, back and forth, do it like at foot at a time and bend itself on it self? Just a thought.
Now that would be cool lookin.

pcduck said:

Yes this would work to. I was just looking for something new to try more curious then anything I have plenty of plants and moms this is just one I was going to put down anyway .this is just to see if it could be done thats all I really don't need the plant as I have many of it's clones already. more for info on what you can and can't do that sort of things . that at a last resort you could try this .so I am going to find out if you can or not . thought I would just share the info on it as i go maybe someone else is interested in it to
it's just a plant. I want see what all I can do to it for more options later on in growing and see what effects it has on it that sort of thing an EXPERIMENT thanks for all the input I will let you know how it goes and try to keep you up to date if interested . maybe the info would be of help to someone with a closet grow thats out of room . like I said it is just an "experiment " when you see the picture you will see the problem thanks Viper1951

Latest posts

Back