Healthy Roots Drive Killer Yields

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not. I simply reused the soil after removing most of the rootball. Folks advised against reuse of the soil but I wanted to try it anyway and paid the price. I have fantasized about building a living soil but I am a bit lazy and have a problem with the delayed gratification needed to cook organic soils. I know a lot of people reuse soil but amend the bejeezus out of it. My concern for submarinegirl was that she was making the mistake I made. Reusing soil vs amending and reusing soil are two different worlds. Organic lime should help neutralize the pH. As I recall, like is a good buffer as well making pH swings less likely.
Yes sir , I would never just reuse a soil that has been through the ringer once already without adding back new amendments to make it happy again.
I too tried it, and it preformed very poorly.

If you are re-using soil, you may want to rethink that. I tried to do that and ran into pH problems that I never had before. I have read that as peat breaks down, it makes the soil acidic thus my pH issues. I now just dump my old soil in my vegetable garden where there is a lot more soil to neutralize the acidity.
Oh I can see now where it looks like I reused the soil but I used fresh soil of the same type. FF soil carried me to where I didn’t have to do much nutrients during the veg cycle because I repotted 4 times with new soil each time which was my time to actually see the roots and what they are doing. I have adjusted by adding more perlite and it gives me a good look at the bottom dirt and get a little sample if only for a few moments

I am just starting to get away from bottles and go True Living Organics. I have read several books involving organic growing, and now just gathering up all necessary soil amendments and other required organic products. I just discovered your amazing website after reading your fantastic article on "healthy roots" you posted a link to above. I still have many more of your articles to read. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your vast knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
I am just starting to get away from bottles and go True Living Organics. I have read several books involving organic growing, and now just gathering up all necessary soil amendments and other required organic products. I just discovered your amazing website after reading your fantastic articles on "healthy roots". I still have many more of your articles to read. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your vast knowledge.
Morning and welcome.

I am just starting to get away from bottles and go True Living Organics. I have read several books involving organic growing, and now just gathering up all necessary soil amendments and other required organic products. I just discovered your amazing website after reading your fantastic articles on "healthy roots". I still have many more of your articles to read. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your vast knowledge.
Welcome
1651670766304.png

I am just starting to get away from bottles and go True Living Organics. I have read several books involving organic growing, and now just gathering up all necessary soil amendments and other required organic products. I just discovered your amazing website after reading your fantastic article on "healthy roots" you posted a link to above. I still have many more of your articles to read. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your vast knowledge and experience.
Hey shovel1966,
Thank you for the kind words! I have always grown in organic soils, but I appreciate all kinds of grow systems, as long as they don't include spraying plants with poison. I learned a lot from forums like MP back in the day, and I am happy to contribute when I can. Cheers!

we have been using this for a few years now and the plants seem to be happy

453E661C-C578-40FB-906A-18AB43BBC098.jpeg

5265AFDE-EE73-45A4-A237-236DBCA77275.jpeg

Latest posts

Back