HELP! Can Fan 8" HO or the Vortex Fan 10"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper

Peace Love & Happiness
Reaction score
I need a new exaust fan to help keep the temps down in a 10x10 room, two 1k lights. I am buying 1 of these fans but do not know wich one would be better for the job, the fan must also be has silent has possible.

Hi Pepper,

With two 1K's you'll do better to go with the 10" fan and ventilation duct. I suggest you pick up a 'Speedster Motor Speed Controller' by Control Wizard for $25 to give you precise control over fan speed and ventilation over the course of the year. I run a 6" 630cfm HO Eclipse inline fan for a 1K and in the summer I have to run the fan at 100% to battle the heat but from Oct til May I can use the Speedster to exhaust the right amount of heat and keep temps where I'd like them in the grow room.

Peace!:cool:

i got a 6'' vortex it has 10 yr. warranty and is very quiet.

Thanks, and yes I'm picking up a speed controller the same one you suggested. I have the option of buying either fan for the same cost so cost is not my main concern, these fans put out about the same cfm, and have pretty much the same amp draw. Do you know how much lowder the 10" is over the 8" on a scalle of 1 through 10?

If I go with the 10" fan should I buy the 10" can fan? Keep in mind that I am trying to keep the noise level down to so the fan I buy must be has silent has possible.

Would you buy the 10" can fan or the 10" vortex? Either one will cost me the same.

I've got a Vortex as well, but if you use a speed controller,like I do, the motor makes a little more racket, a more pronounced humm. just FYI :)

GreenLantern7 said:
I've got a Vortex as well, but if you use a speed controller,like I do, the motor makes a little more racket, a more pronounced humm. just FYI :)

Thanks, I did not know that, that sucks I may have to build a silencer box and put the fan in it.

HI,

I only use 6" duct and a fan but most of the noise is from the W-H-O-O-O-O-S-H of air going through the duct and not much at all from the fan. I agree about the hum with the Speedster... I have my fan in the attic and pull air from a duct that goes up from my closet and it's in a large cardboard box lined with sound absorbing foam and it has a hole for the air to escape... If you use insulated duct it would help the noise factor.

Good Luck~!:cool:

Thank's, I know the insulated duck will help me keep the noise down, but I was trying not to use it because me and insulation do not get along :eek: but I guess I'll put on a 1 piece with some gloves and install some insulated duck, safety first, alergy reactions to insulation second :D

Insted of using the speed control device, how about if I use a CAP temperature control? I have 1 of those hooked up to my AC it has day and night temperature controls on it, I assume it would work just as well on the fan that way I would avoid the huuuuummmmm from the speed control device. There goes another 100bucks just for that device :eek: God when does it stop :D

If you want to get crazy...get the Can MAX 8" fan. Best out there...but a little spendier.

I just ordered 5 of them. Super quiet and run more efficient.

Check em out.

NorCalHal said:
If you want to get crazy...get the Can MAX 8" fan. Best out there...but a little spendier.

I just ordered 5 of them. Super quiet and run more efficient.

Check em out.

Thanks, yes I have heard that those fans are very nice but a little out of my price range at the moment my budget is very small, I am getting a good deal on the fans I ask about that is the only way I can aford to buy one.

Latest posts

Back