help me with spider mites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aeroman said:
I have had trouble with spider mites in the past. One post mentioned keeping temp down and humidity up. You want to down just the oppiste. Spider mites stay on the under sides of the leaves while your lights are on where it is cool and humid. Plants transpire from the under sides of the leaves. You want under 50% humidity if possible. When you spray neem oil are you spraying the under sides of the leaves. I wear rubber gloves and turn the leaves over. If you have a healthy looking mother plant in another area they may be migrating from her. You could also be bringing them in from outside or your pets or kids could be bringing them in. I hope that was helpful

..definately.. temp's down and RH up...to help curb reproduction and control population

A female lays about 100 eggs during her lifetime. Depending upon climate conditions, the eggs hatch in as little as 2-3 days, and the adult stage is reached in 7-10 days. The females reproduction is greatly affected by climate and humidity with a significant difference in the days till their maturity dependant upon the temperature i.e.) egg to adult. For instance at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, it takes 30 days for the egg to become an adult, at 70 degrees 14.5 days and here is the astounding number - 90 degrees Fahrenheit they reach adulthood in just 3.5 days! So now imagine those populations increases over a month when the offspring start to reproduce less than a week after hatching - at 70 degrees she and her offspring number 13,000; at 80 degrees she and her offspring represent a staggering potential of 13,000,000 individuals over a single month - huge population increases!

Mites evaporate large quantities of water from their bodies, so they must suck juices from the plants. This is easier for them to do in a dry environment. Humid environments (above 60% RH) slow down their metabolism, life span and reproductive rate. Mites may be controlled somewhat by lowering the temperatures (at about 50 degrees Fahrenheit they start to hibernate), thus slowing down their life process considerable. Even if you only decrease the temperature during the indoor dark cycle (when it is easier to lower temperatures), the progression rate of the infestation is slowed considerable

Avid, Doktor doom foggers, Doktor Doom Spray, Safer's Soap. Use these in rotation every 3-4 days. Do not use the Avid in flower unless you want to kill someone or yourself by smoking a bowl. Avid is best handled by a professional but can be done by the novice, however I strain the importance of safe handling and saftey precautions, such as gloves, apron, goggles, and a mask when applying. It will kill the mites but it can also kill you.

Wow!! A lot of great suggestions. I have tried the ladybugs once but they all just disappeared and didnt kill the mites. I think i will try the pest strips that someone recommended. I am in flower stage right now so I dont want to try any kind of pesticide right now. I also have animals and I am growing in my bedroom closet so Id rather try non leathal ways.

NPS (no pest strips) "ARE pesticide..:eek:
and a toxic one to humans and animals as well ;)
"I".. would't try them during flower..
here are a couple of links that might interest 'anyone' considering useing NPS ..

hXXp://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Products.jsp?PestName=Cocoa%20moth
hXXp://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/ddt-famphur/dichlorvos/dichlor_prf_0388.html
hXXp://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Bibliography/pesticide/bib.dichlorvos.cfm

maineharvest said:
Wow!! A lot of great suggestions. I have tried the ladybugs once but they all just disappeared and didnt kill the mites. I think i will try the pest strips that someone recommended. I am in flower stage right now so I dont want to try any kind of pesticide right now. I also have animals and I am growing in my bedroom closet so Id rather try non leathal ways.

if you dont want too use chemical methods i could only say go back too using ladybirds or ladybugs lol depending were your from :);)

Any of the the ones containing pyrethrins can be used up to 48 hours before harvest. I recommend a Doktor doom fogger and some safer soap on a sponge. Try to get all the undersides of the leaves with the Safers'.

maineharvest said:
I have been having trouble with mites for about six months now and they just wont die. They started in one closet and it wasnt long before my other two closets got infested too. I even cleaned my entire closet out and cleaned very thoroughly but after each grow they still come back stronger than ever. I am on a five day rotation where i use neem oil, ciggerette water, mite pesticide, and it doesnt even faze them. Is there a gauranteed way to kill these things?

Dude get a fogger it kills all pests in your grow area, its like 10 bucks at any hydro store well worth it.

try the fogger as stated above and let us know if it worked :)

I would have to disagree and say that this is somewhat misleading... Extended exposure and ingestion

Here is some info on dichlorvos, which is an insecticide not a pesticide and is used by most all domestic animals in the form of a flea collar, which is worn around a dog or cats neck, these are sold everywhere and recommended by vets all over, so it can not be too toxic to them, being that they are wearing it...

Here's the info:

What is dichlorvos?

Dichlorvos is an insecticide that is a dense colorless liquid. It has a sweetish smell and readily mixes with water. Dichlorvos used in pest control is diluted with other chemicals and used as a spray. It can also be incorporated into plastic that slowly releases the chemical.
Dichlorvos is used for insect control in food storage areas, green houses, and barns, and control of insects on livestock. It is not generally used on outdoor crops. Dichlorvos is sometimes used for insect control in workplaces and in the home. Veterinarians use it to control parasites on pets.
What happens to dichlorvos when it enters the environment?

• Dichlorvos enters the environment during its manufacture and use, from landfills, and from accidental spills during transport and leaks from storage containers.
  • It evaporates easily into the air, where it is broken down into less harmful chemicals.
  • It will dissolve in water, where microorganisms can break it down.
  • It takes about 24–36 hours for half of the chemical to be broken down in water.
  • Dichlorvos does not appear to accumulate in plants, fish, or animals.

Hick said:
NPS (no pest strips) "ARE pesticide..:eek:
and a toxic one to humans and animals as well ;)
"I".. would't try them during flower..
here are a couple of links that might interest 'anyone' considering useing NPS ..

hXXp://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Products.jsp?PestName=Cocoa%20moth
hXXp://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/ddt-famphur/dichlorvos/dichlor_prf_0388.html
hXXp://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Bibliography/pesticide/bib.dichlorvos.cfm

massproducer said:
I would have to disagree and say that this is somewhat misleading... Extended exposure and ingestion

Here is some info on dichlorvos, which is an insecticide not a pesticide and is used by most all domestic animals in the form of a flea collar, which is worn around a dog or cats neck, these are sold everywhere and recommended by vets all over, so it can not be too toxic to them, being that they are wearing it...

Here's the info:

What is dichlorvos?

Dichlorvos is an insecticide that is a dense colorless liquid. It has a sweetish smell and readily mixes with water. Dichlorvos used in pest control is diluted with other chemicals and used as a spray. It can also be incorporated into plastic that slowly releases the chemical.
Dichlorvos is used for insect control in food storage areas, green houses, and barns, and control of insects on livestock. It is not generally used on outdoor crops. Dichlorvos is sometimes used for insect control in workplaces and in the home. Veterinarians use it to control parasites on pets.
What happens to dichlorvos when it enters the environment?
  • Dichlorvos enters the environment during its manufacture and use, from landfills, and from accidental spills during transport and leaks from storage containers.
  • It evaporates easily into the air, where it is broken down into less harmful chemicals.
  • It will dissolve in water, where microorganisms can break it down.
  • It takes about 24–36 hours for half of the chemical to be broken down in water.
  • Dichlorvos does not appear to accumulate in plants, fish, or animals.

Ive had spider mite issues and fungas nates, and that organic fogger from any hydro shop, most of them sell them, well yeah it killed everything so it should work for him also. :)

Looks like I was doing the wrong thing. That's why I was having so much trouble with spidermites too. I kept hiting them with neem oil and finally got rid of them. I don't know how I got the heat and humidity so *** backwards. Must have been stoned.

I am on my first grow (check it out below) Damn that was shameless plug, oh where was I. :bong: Oh yea thats right, first grow. OK yea first grow and I have heard that Lady Bugs tear them up. That is my absolutely no experience in this matter opinion :D

Gets some Avid, mix it with water and dip your plants in it. Its usually best to do it when the plants are 6-10" tall. Works excellent. Sprying works too but who knows if your going to get all the cracks and crevices.

P.S. Use gloves and do it outside if you can

i got one of the Hotshots pest strip things and plan on just throwing in my closet for twelve hours and hope it kills those buggers. I still have six weeks of flower left so hopefully the pesticides dont effect the buds.

Does anybody have any info on pesticides and how long they stay in the plant and how they wear off? Explained in simple terms please.

Dichlorvos does not appear to accumulate in plants, fish, or animals

Latest posts

Back