Help setting up growing room (wardrobe)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toto_13 said:
I havent found 250W , I found 150W and 400W , and you suggested first that I should get a single 400W or two 250W.
I'm going to read the stickies before doing anything else.
thanks.

My first suggestion was based on the first measurements that turned out to be wrong. The area you have isn't big enough for a 400 watt light. Trying to cool the area would be a nightmare.

I returned It back anyway.
I'll order a 250W HPS bulb online , It will take up to a month to arrive , that'll give time to learn everything I need to know.
thanks.

toto_13 said:
I'll order a 250W HPS bulb online , It will take up to a month to arrive , that'll give time to learn everything I need to know.
thanks.

While you're reading, I would suggest to you that you explain *exactly* how you intend to build your setup and use it. Type of nutrients, type of media, size of containers, prepping of the containers, mixing of media and nutrients, germination of seeds, growing seedlings, using your new light and watering techniques.

Then, as you post your intentions, the experienced growers here on MP can help improve what you've decided to use and guide you on how to go, step-by-step.

Then, when you actually start germinating your seeds, you'll have a much better idea of what to do and what not to do.

If you wait until you are already doing something, if its not right, you'll just have wasted time and money.

I hope you realize I'm not *picking* on you. I've seen so many new growers start each step off incorrectly and get so upset when they discover that they've wasted their time and money. Then they have to throw it away and start over the right way. Many just give up at that point and quit trying.

I'd like to see you do it right the first time and have a successful first crop. I'm sorry if I'm a bit abrupt in my method of teaching. I'm old and I'm kind of set in my ways. I don't mean to be rude, condensating or impolite, but sometimes it's interpreted that way.

toto_13 said:
thanks.

I would recommend buying an entire system--you need a bulb, ballast, socket assembly, cords, and a reflector. A bulb by itself is useless.

I agree with Stoney. Make a plan, run it by us here and let us advise you before you go off willy-nilly buying things that are not going to work.

this kit hydrodiscount.com/catalog/culture-interieure-indoor-growshop-garden-hydroponique/kit-complet-250w-hps/product_info.php/products_id/143%7B36%7D1614%7B60%7D1206%7B84%7D1498%7B35%7D721%7B37%7D707%7B42%7D688%7B48%7D152
seems to be the right one to buy, right ?
so for my plan:
I will suspend the 250W HPS light to the roof with an easy roll system I'll get with the kit, and for the containers I will use these pots (height: 18cm , diameter: 21cm) the space fits for 8 pots but I will use only 6 to have enough space for manipulation.
for the soil I will use loam.
for the reflective materiel I will get some mylar It as appears to be more reflective.
for germinating the seed I will try this method: youtube.com/watch?v=eelwEB4Z1GA&feature=related
for the rest (cooling , nutritients and media and watering/lights techniques) I have no idea and I'm waiting your suggestions.
What should I buy as a nutritients and media ? theres a whole of choices here hydrodiscount.com/ and I'm confused.
I havent made my command yet so I'm waiting for your instructions.
If there's anything else I should get tell me.
and stoneybud It's alright mate better prevent me that way or let me waste my money for nothing.
Thanks.

StoneyBud said:
While you're reading, I would suggest to you that you explain *exactly* how you intend to build your setup and use it. Type of nutrients, type of media, size of containers, prepping of the containers, mixing of media and nutrients, germination of seeds, growing seedlings, using your new light and watering techniques.

Then, as you post your intentions, the experienced growers here on MP can help improve what you've decided to use and guide you on how to go, step-by-step.

Then, when you actually start germinating your seeds, you'll have a much better idea of what to do and what not to do.

If you wait until you are already doing something, if its not right, you'll just have wasted time and money.

I hope you realize I'm not *picking* on you. I've seen so many new growers start each step off incorrectly and get so upset when they discover that they've wasted their time and money. Then they have to throw it away and start over the right way. Many just give up at that point and quit trying.

I'd like to see you do it right the first time and have a successful first crop. I'm sorry if I'm a bit abrupt in my method of teaching. I'm old and I'm kind of set in my ways. I don't mean to be rude, condensating or impolite, but sometimes it's interpreted that way.

good post and plan..... :D

toto_13 said:
this kit seems to be the right one to buy, right ?
so for my plan:
I will suspend the 250W HPS light to the roof with an easy roll system I'll get with the kit, and for the containers I will use these pots (height: 18cm , diameter: 21cm) the space fits for 8 pots but I will use only 6 to have enough space for manipulation.
for the reflective materiel I will get some mylar It as appears to be more reflective.
for germinating the seed I will try this method
for the rest (cooling , nutritients and media and watering/lights techniques) I have no idea and I'm waiting your suggestions.
What should I buy as a nutritients and media ? theres a whole of choices here and I'm confused.
I havent made my command yet so I'm waiting for your instructions.
and stoneybud It's alright mate better prevent me that way or let me waste my money for nothing.
Thanks.

If these are live links, you'll need to kill them as not many will click them, and it's against site rules lol. Without clicking, I'll comment on the reflective...mylar is tricky to use, must be pretty much wrinkle-free to best benefit you. Flat white paint is as good for reflection and easier to use, if you can go that route.

toto_13 said:
hydrodiscount.com/catalog/culture-interieure-indoor-growshop-garden-hydroponique/kit-complet-250w-hps/product_info.php/products_id/143%7B36%7D1614%7B60%7D1206%7B84%7D1498%7B35%7D721%7B37%7D707%7B42%7D688%7B48%7D152 this kit seems to be the right one to buy, right ?
so for my plan:
for germinating the seed I will try youtube.com/watch?v=eelwEB4Z1GA&feature=related this method.
for the rest (cooling , nutrients and media and watering/lights techniques) I have no idea and I'm waiting your suggestions.
What should I buy as a nutrients and media ? there's a whole of choices hydrodiscount.com/ and I'm confused.
I haven't made my command yet so I'm waiting for your instructions.
Thanks.

There may be other nutrients at that site that are equal to the General Hydroponics Flora Series 3 part, but I've used that one exclusively for many years and have grown lots and lots of great weed with only that.
Here's the link: (You'll have to copy and paste it into your browser)
hydrodiscount.com/catalog/culture-interieure-indoor-growshop-garden-hydroponique/flora-series-1l-ghe-x3/product_info.php/products_id/746

That method of germination will work. If you go to the Germination area of this site and read up, it'll help you keep from falling into some of the more common mistakes.

Here: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

(As long as links are to this site, you can use the entire link like I just did. Otherwise, you can use highlighted text like I converted your links to. One of the Mods will fix your links, I'm sure.)

I would suggest, like the others have already, that you go with Flat White Paint for the cabinet. Mylar is a pain in the butt to use and isn't that much more reflective to be worth the hassle.

Let's discuss why you've decided to grow so many plants. Its really not necessary and will add to the difficulty of your grow. The standard for container size is "one gallon for each foot of height of your plant). You're restricted to about 42 inches of plant height after the cabinet height minus light height minus container height minus distance from light is calculated.

72 minus 12 inches light height

62 minus 12 inches of container height

52 minus 12 inches safe plant distance from light and light from top of cabinet.

42 inches are left, or three and a half feet that your plants can grow.

At that height, you'll want each container to be a 3 gallon container with good drainage into a catch-pan. 5 gallon would even be better. Two plants will fill that cabinet from wall to wall at 42 inches tall. No way are you fitting 8 plants in there if you allow them to grow to 42 inches. Remember; more plants does not equal more harvest yeild unless its outdoors with plenty of room and natural sunlight. In a cabinet, one plant will yeild the same thing as 10 plants if one plant will fill the area. 10 plants just crowds it and won't produce as much as the one plant would have.

Let's discuss what we've talked about so far. Is everything clear that I've said so far and what do you think of it?

Stoney, your math is off...or I am. Subtract the 12, not 10? I get 3'....

Roddy said:
Stoney, your math is off...or I am. Subtract the 12, not 10? I get 3'....

Actually, I wasn't using real numbers, just examples of what had to be calculated to determine grow height.

I have no idea what the height of the containers or the light are.

How far the plants can be from the canopy depends on the type of light used and the specific ventilation.

Until toto13 can provide the real numbers for the light and containers, he can't figure out how much height he has to grow in.

I figured you were going on a standard tent size and didn't want toto to get the wrong info...all good!

Keep in mind that the plants will double in most cases (or more) when they are flipped to budding...so grow the plants to half the height you desire before going to bud!

Roddy said:
I figured you were going on a standard tent size and didn't want toto to get the wrong info...all good!

Keep in mind that the plants will double in most cases (or more) when they are flipped to budding...so grow the plants to half the height you desire before going to bud!

I've never even seen one of the tents, other than pics here. In fact, he said his closet was 74 inches tall, not the 72 I thought.

We'll have to wait until he tells us the height of the actual containers he's going to use and the height of the light after assembly. Then, figuring a 6 to 8 inch gap between the light bulb and the plants and another 4-6 inches above the light for safety, we'll be able to tell more about how tall his plants will be when he switches to flowering.

everything is clear , thanks stoneybud .
I will start with a single plant then when it grows I may add up another one if theres enough space.
I confirm wardrobe height is 74 inch.
actual containers are 7.1 inch height but have only 1.6 gallons of volume.
3 or 5 gallons containers must be arround 12inch ,I'll post their exact height as soon as I get them.

Thanks.

toto_13 said:
everything is clear , thanks stoneybud .
I will start with a single plant then when it grows I may add up another one if there's enough space.
I confirm wardrobe height is 74 inch.
actual containers are 7.1 inch height but have only 1.6 gallons of volume.
3 or 5 gallons containers must be around 12inch ,I'll post their exact height as soon as I get them.

Thanks.

Your approximate growing area that the plants can actually fill is about:

41 inches long

20 inches deep

40 inches tall

If you grow one plant, you'll learn how to top the plant and use LST to fill the entire grow area with tops.

Two plants, and you'll have to top and use LST also. Just less LST and perhaps one less topping.

In nature, if left to itself, an MJ plant will grow to its maximum height and diameter, thus maximizing the amount of harvest yield.

In an inside grow area that is restricted in size, a grower has to modify the way the plant grows, so that the entire space from corner to corner is filled with flower colas packed in as tightly as the space allows and allowed to grow to fill the height as well. This will result in the largest colas and the greatest amount of colas in the growing space.

To fill the area like that, the plant needs to be "Topped" at least once, and maybe as many as three times at each third nodal intersection. Each topping will result in that top becoming two tops. The second topping results in each of those two tops becoming two more for a total of 4 tops after the second "Topping". The third topping will expand the resulting tops to 8 tops.

During the time it takes to top the plant 3 times, you also use "LST" (Low Stress Training), to make each branch grow in the exact direction you need it to grow so that after positioning, each top is equal in height and spaced so that the entire grow area is filled with tops about 12 inches from each other, but filling every spot.

This combination of topping and LST will maximize the amount of harvest yield in a restricted growing space.

There are plenty of Topping and LST threads already here on MP. If you do a search on each, you'll find them. Read, read, read and then read some more. You have a lot of reading and learning to do in the next month.

If you need help learning how to search the site for specific posts or threads, just ask. Someone will help. This is one of the most helpful sites on MJ you'll find on the net.

I suggest that you grow two plants. You'll need two females, so if you're using seeds, you'll need to plant 6 to make sure you get two females from the group.

If something really bad happens and kills one of your plants, you'll still have another to finish. First time grows are prone to problems. Its natural to make mistakes when doing something you've never done before.

You can use smaller containers for the first run to sex the plants. Then, after sexing them to your two best females, you'll be able to transplant them into their final homes in the large grow containers.

There are also a bunch of posts and threads on "Sexing" an MJ plant, here on MP. If you have any trouble finding them, just ask.

I guess I'll have to read a lot more than I did (thats why I took so long to answer to avoid doing/saying something stupid).
I also bought new stuff
-small containers to" run to sex the plants" (I havent entirely understood that is but It will be useful)
-2x planting pots 3.2 gallons each (the best I could find).
-a thermometer (could be useful).
-soil (to fill the new pots , called pindstrup universal).
-universal (indoor/outdoor) liquid fertilizer npk 6-5-5 ( I know its really a WEAK NPK as I saw on forums but Its all I could find there)
all for 25$
still looking for the lights.
so far I've found the bulb , ballast , socket assembly but no reflector.
If I could find them here it's better because shipping fees from that website (hydrodiscount) are 250$ and its ******* insane.
thanks buddies.

Sorry toto_13, I meant that you have about a 50/50 chance of any two regular/non-femmed seeds being male or female.

Out of 6, at least two should be female. Even one will work if it has to. You can learn how to cut and grow clones too that way.

After your seeds germinate, it will take about 3 to 4 weeks for them to show male or female characteristics. Then you can pitch out the males and keep the best 2 of the females. During this "sexing" time of about 4 weeks, you could keep them in a one gallon container and transplant the females into the larger containers later.

Before germinating your seeds, I would suggest that you go to the germination and seedlings area on this forum. Lots of real good advice in there already. I would suggest that you start by reading the "stickies" at the top of each area first.

I think it would be beneficial to you if you read a lot of the posts in each area of the forum before you even start germinating. It'll save you a lot of panic later.

Hi guys.
sorry for the long absence.
Okay I have read a lot of interesting stuff , and I've got a clear idea now.
the thing is I cant find a HPS set-up tho so I'm thinking I should start first with CFL's.
here's the CFL's I've found.
6400K 1500 lumens 25watt.
and 85watt 3900 lumens.
I think I'm getting the 25 watt because they have more lumens/watt.
how much CFL's I should get ? (as far as I know that the minimum lumens/sq.ft is 3000 so 5.5*3000=16500lumens = 11 CFLs so I should get 11 ?)
For the cooling I will suspend a fan to the left wall and make a hole in the right wardrobe for an exhaust fan.

thanks.

You would be far better off getting a HPS. CFLs will probably cost more to purchase initially, they will run hotter, they will cost about twice as much to operate every single month and you will get substantially less yield. And 3000 lumens is a minimum for vegging. For flowering, you will want 5000 lumens per sq ft. When you go to flowering, you will need 40% more lumens and a different spectrum. Also, in addition to the bulbs, you need cords, sockets, and reflectors. I would add all this up before purchasing CFLs.

Here is a link to a 400W HPS in a cooltube: hXXp://www.amazon.com/LED-Wholesalers-GYO2009-3-Piece-Hydroponic/dp/B004HNPGKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305984866&sr=8-2

I don't quite understand your cooling plan with the suspended fan...You will probably need to have an actual exhaust fan and ducting to the outside of your tent with some passive intakes.

Latest posts

Back