Help with organic tea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have composted cow manure I plan onmaking tea out of and using to feed my plants during flower. My question is, what ratio should I use for making the tea? I do not want to overfertilize these ...especially since my last grow I overfert'd and the buds did not meet what their full potenital was. Anyways, anyone use compost/ manure teas on your grow? Thanks

I use from 1/2 cup to 1 cup per gallon of water while in veg, along with other amendments. I do not use cow manure for a tea amendment during flower.

I have used several different compost teas. Most of them had about 5 ingredients. There are quite a few tea recipes there. I liked one that Ozzy posted and I have used another that driftn posted.

I don't know a whole lot about the organics as I haven't done much of it, but I did use "Cow Peat" to make compost tea along with some other stuff and it worked quite well. I think it depends on the manure compost that you are using as to how well it will work for you. I actually used a couple different things with mine and aerated it for several days before using it so that I could get a microbe "bloom" to occur before adding it to my plants.

The problem that I ran into was the compost material began to clog up my soil because I didn't filter my tea before using it. I would recommend that if you use it, get some panty hose and stuff some into that and soak it in the water so that you are not having to strain the water to use it. If it isn't real high in Phospherous, I would get something that is and add to it like some high P guano. :)

I get a 1 or 5 gallon paint strainer to put my tea ingredients in, like a big tea bag. All the tea ingredients go into that and I tie it closed. I put that in a 5 gal bucket with water and bubble it for a couple of days. The cheesecloth teabag comes out and the resulting tea doesn't even need to be strained. What is left in the "teabag" is thrown in with the compost.

Only need to strain if putting in a sprayer and foiler feeding. In order not to plug the sprayer.:D

I am new at organics and every recipe said to strain, so I do.

This is the one I use most often. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got it.

5 gal water
5 T molasses
2 c worm castings
1 c compost
5 T epsom salts
5 T blood meal
5 T bone meal

Aerate for 48 hours and strain. Mix 50/50 for watering. Mix 25/75 for foliar spray

Latest posts

Back