HID went out ...help plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn_toker420

PurpMountainMan
Reaction score
Ok, i'm kinda freakin out...but hopefully over nothin'...I just had a slight power surge/blink , lights kicked off for a brief sec...So i check the garden to make sure things are fine, and my HID hadn't kicked back on, so i wait about 10 minutes and still nothing... I thought my MH conversion bulb could've blown ( not sure how to tell) , so i decided to put in my HPS while it had cooled off...And still nothing, i've gotta buzz comin from my ballast as usual...But not a thing out of the lamp/light ... Any ideas ? and my t5 was still goin' without a hitch btw...

Geez dude thats f***ed up. Do you use surge protectors? I have bad wiring in this house, blow breakers all the time.(nothing to do with my closet, this is well before I started) Were bioth bulbs in use... they could have both been blown?

NO...The HPS is straight outta the box, and the t5 was in the same tent...With the t5 and HID plugged into a dual-outlet timer ...If it was a breaker, or lack of use of surge protector wouldn't the t5 be affected as well??? This blows, i hope it's ok...But regardless i'm still vouched in my 1 year bulb warranty and 2 year on ballast ...But damn i don't wanna go through that again...

sometimes they just take a while to turn on if you try it right after they were shut off.

Like over 20 minutes ..??? I'm just gonna leave it alone and wait ...hopefully it will kick back on...But usually of the mornin, lights on, it's just a bit dim for about 5-10 min. at most ...Never took this long to kick on...

The bulb is cold ...Right outta the box , brand new ...But it had sit long enough before i changed it that there wasn't any heat at all from the reflector ...But the Ballast, the heavy @$$ thing that stays hot , it's really hot and loud right now ...but it's been over 30 min now since i switched the bulbs and left it plugged ...Man i hope it's ok tho...

if it's been that long and nothing has kicked on I would unplug it. I know you said that you tested it with a fresh bulb right out of the box, but what if that bulb came bad? Also after your power surge did the original MH bulb that went out have a slight glow too it or was it completely dark?

Do you have any other MH bulb to test it with since that is what you were running in it before? Have you ran HPS in this ballast before? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, just trying to help troubleshoot!

Nothing but the 1 Mh conversion bulb has been in till now ...And the Mh was competely dark ... Same with the HPS now ... And is there any way to know for sure if the bulb is bad ??? I've shut down my HID , gettin' by with the t5 ... any chance this would disrupt my light cycle ??? i'd been runnin' the t5 with the HID both 12/12 ...Is there anything i'm missin' here ??? somethin' i'm forgetting or not realizing ??? i'm not too educated with this stuff yet ...hopefully i'll be enlightened ...What exactly should i do ppl??? Should i leave unplugged till next light cycle starts, or should i just wait till ballast is cool to touch and kick back on ???

Let the ballast cool right down and try again.

When you say the bulbs are dark do you mean its blackened the glass?
Usually a sign of a blown bulb but if your hps new out of box that should be fine. Bit of a riddle really.

If the hps dont work when the ballast comes back on from being cold you got issues for sure, surge could of done a few things but most likly blown something in the ballast.

Should be possible to test if ballast throwing power out with some testers if you got some but i guessing you dont lol.

No Testers , i don't think i would actually know what to do if i had a tester ...I'm not big with electricity sadly ...But neither of the 2 bulbs are "darkened black " ...It just doesn't have a lick of light comin' from it , like it's not even screwed in ... And i re-screwed the bulb in to make sure it wasn't b/c i hadn't screwed it in right ( if that's possible) or a somethin with the circuit or whatever ...Still unplugged... And on another note, anybody think this would void my warranty with HTG ???

What the surge?

If so dunno but i'd be trying for a replacement for sure if you need one.

Its a shame there not another bulb just to tripple check the two bulbs arnt blown.

Just have to see if it works once its cooled down and go from there

Newbud said:
What the surge?

If so dunno but i'd be trying for a replacement for sure if you need one.

Its a shame there not another bulb just to tripple check the two bulbs arnt blown.

Just have to see if it works once its cooled down and go from there

Thats honestly my suspision, I have the same ballast tn is talking about and I went through a power surge similar to tn. It fried my MH bulb I had in it at the time. So I think it is a small flaw in the design of these things. :confused:

I think you fried your MH and you had a dud HPS. If once your ballast cools COMPLETLY and it still wont fire the HPS I would get a new bulb.

The buzzing from the ballast is still normal no?

From the limited knowledge i have of the internals of a ballast they have a large coil and i think it was 3 resistors or capasitators or sumet anyway in my mates old one, i'd imagine the buzzing would just come from the coil being charged. It could be getting power but just not able to send it to the light cos of blowing something??????????
I dunno lol if anyone does know if that possible speak up.
I dont do stuff like that, i can run cable lol

Don;t freak. If the surge got your ballast. Either your capacitor or starter got took out. Grab a friend with a lil solder knowledge and get it fixed. Cheap. The same friend shud be able to see if u have pwr to the bulb, if u do , even better, u have a couple bad bulbs, replace bulbs. These grow light r pretty simple/dirty built. Unless its digital, then repost -all good:)

Still nothin' with the new HPS ...I'll try tomorrow at 1 when light starts after having the whole night off ...Should i leave unplugged until then, or should i plug up when lights go off ??? i'm thinkin leave unplugged till the morning ...but i'm thinkin there's somethin wrong tho ...Can anyone tell me if HPS bulbs have somethin of a rattle sound, like most regular household bulbs has a spring or something that comes loose and rattles when blown...But i know there's a lotta difference in a household and HID ... But can anyone tell me if this would still be under warranty or not at HTGsupply ??? and do you think i should be completely truthful about what's going on , as to the power surge and not using a surge protector with the Dual-timer ??? i'm not sure about it ...but i'll be finding out it seems...Thanks everyone, if there's anything more to be said about this i'd appreciate it... as of now i'm bummed , but it blows my mind the amount of light that's lost, and the difference in the way the plants look...but after losing 30000 or so lumens i guess i should expect that ...welp, might as well :bong: till then eh ?:bong1:

purplephazes said:
is ya ballast under warranty
2 year on ballast...1 year bulbs ... And as to having a friend with any knowledge whatsoever to my grow is out of the question...Heck, i don't have too many friends personally ...But you'll hear more outta me tomorrow i'd say...Still not happy tho :(

If your ballest is still humming Its still good there is a condencer in there replace it and you should be fine. Happened to me a month ago the nice lady at the hydro shop helped me out. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back