High times for an Oregon business: Pot Growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
The accidental death of a U.S. Forest Service worker last week in the Monument Rock Wilderness underscores the seriousness of an unusually active marijuana-growing season across Oregon this summer.

Steven A. Uptegrove, 52, died Thursday when he was hit by a falling snag while helping the Baker County Narcotics Enforcement Team eradicate 2,156 marijuana plants.

The same day, Baker County authorities took down a marijuana garden with 12,023 plants about three miles away, Baker County Sheriff Mitch Southwick said Friday.

"That makes 27,000 plants in Baker County this year" in four raids, the sheriff said, estimating the street value at maturity of each plant at as much as $3,500.

Statewide, law enforcement officers have shut down roughly 80 marijuana gardens so far this summer, said Harney County Sheriff Dave Glerup of Burns. Mexican drug gangs are suspected to be behind the big operations.

Glerup used helicopters last Tuesday to take down a 5,250-plant marijuana garden at almost 6,000-feet elevation on rugged Steens Mountain south of Burns, he said. His deputies arrested 11 Latino men.

"We believe they are all Mexican cartel grows, and these are hired people," Glerup said.

Also this month:

-- The Grant County Sheriff's Office last Wednesday, took down a 23,000-plant marijuana grow south of Dale, the biggest in county history. Three men and a woman, all Mexican nationals, were arrested, Sheriff Glenn Palmer said.

-- On Aug. 14, police seized 1,630 marijuana plants on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. It was the fourth time since July 2007 that police had raided pot-growing operations on the reservation, all believed linked to Mexican drug gangs.

-- In an Aug. 4 raid, Grant County deputies shut down a 1,530-plant growing operation and arrested five Latino men, Palmer said.

In nearby Malheur County, deputies in early August seized more than 30,000 marijuana plants in three raids in the White Horse Creek drainage north of the Nevada border. Eight "garden tenders" were arrested.

Police say Mexico-based criminal organizations are finding it easier to grow marijuana in the United States than to smuggle it across the border. Glerup has found intricate irrigation systems of PVC pipe, hand-dug water reservoirs at natural springs filled with fertilizer to provide nutrients to the marijuana plants, and camouflaged drying racks.

Palmer said most of the growers he's encountered are in their 20s and entered the country illegally. "They run like the wind, and they don't like police," he said.

Uptegrove was killed at a growing operation dangerously sited about 2 1/2 miles from the nearest road in an area that was swept by wildfires in the late 1980s.

"Snags are all over the place, rotting," said Southwick, the Baker County sheriff, of the site along the West Fork of Bull Run Creek south of Unity. "They are everywhere up there."

Uptegrove was a career Forest Service employee who spent more than 30 years in the agency's wildfire program. He had been assigned to Unity for three years as an engine foreman and station lead, and worked on the Wallowa-Whitman, Malheur, Payette, Willamette and Deschutes national forests, said Judy Wing, a Forest Service spokeswoman in Baker City. He is survived by his wife, Hope.

To the public, the biggest danger of stumbling across a growing operation comes not from snags but growers with guns, sheriffs across the region said.

With archery season beginning Aug. 29, black bear season already under way and people hitting the woods to cut firewood and pick huckleberries and blackberries, the potential for encounters is rising, they said.

Palmer, the Grant County sheriff, seized two semiautomatic rifles and a stolen .40-caliber handgun in a raid on a remote marijuana garden earlier this month, he said.

"These people are armed," Palmer said. "They probably are not going to take lightly anybody coming into their grows."

Anyone accidentally wandering into a marijuana grow should "just leave and notify the authorities," Southwick said. "A GPS reading would be great if they have one with them."

The season still has weeks to go. Lt. John Gautney of the Bend Police Department and a member of the Central Oregon Drug Enforcement Team said his officers have already confiscated more marijuana this year than all of last year, and the raids may just be getting started.

"I would anticipate you are going to see quite a few more between now and the end of September," he said.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/mhwstj

oh crap...420benny you shouldnt use that forest Man..i told Ya:rofl:

Fruity..thanks.:bong: any news on the " Operation GREEN Reaper" Here in Seattle? take care and be safe

"We believe they are all Mexican cartel grows, and these are hired people," Glerup said.

is that really true? or is it just another way they're trying to get people against growers?
i find it hard to believe they're ALL mexican cartels.

kaotik said:

is that really true? or is it just another way they're trying to get people against growers?
i find it hard to believe they're ALL mexican cartels.

whether they are hired, or have been kidnapped and forced to do it, i think its the cartels for sure.
i dont think the average Cali grower can make 10 people hike 50 miles from civilization into the forest and plant 30,000 plants. that takes money and organization

I agree, here in eastern wash. we have several OD grows that get busted on the regular. Who in their right mind would plant those kind of numbers anyways !!

lots of that going on in cali. they speculate it is hispanic people because when they leave in a hurry things are often left like rosary beads, spanish blankets, plans written in spanish. They def arent all hispanic growers. But that is the country that borders us so...just like asain people get blamed for opium here. statisticly I bet it is mostly illegals who feel they dont have as much to lose as citizens do. They plant so many because for that kind of risk they want a big reward. Whats amazing is how few people it takes for that large of a crop.

It's kinda like throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks... If an organization sends a couple of guys to 20 different locations to plant huge weed plots, even if the majority get found and busted by the authorities or some gets stolen they'll still cash in BIG time with only a few harvests. A couple of workers with backpacks full of food and supplies can prep the soil and plant thousands of seeds in a couple of days. Once they run some gravity fed irrigation they're out of there.

Peace!:cool:

I read somewhere a while back about 'crop dusting' the national forests with feral hemp pollen as a means to deter cartel grow ops. I live in the mountains and this tripped me out for a while. I don't see how it could be done but I have heard nothing about it since.

Anyone?

nvthis said:
I read somewhere a while back about 'crop dusting' the national forests with feral hemp pollen as a means to deter cartel grow ops. I live in the mountains and this tripped me out for a while. I don't see how it could be done but I have heard nothing about it since.

Anyone?

I think they do this... cuz there has been some seedy crap floating around here lol:D

Latest posts

Back