Hours of Darkness for Flowering other than 12/12??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
so what's the cut off on the number of hours of darkness for flowering. like i keep hearing people say that it is SO important 12/12 but lets just say it's out of your hands and you had to pick one, would it be better to give it 11.5 hours of darkness or 12.5 hours of darkness?

and the people that say it needs AT LEAST 12 to flower, does that mean if you give it even 15 minutes less, it won't?

thanks!

jeffca said:
so what's the cut off on the number of hours of darkness for flowering. like i keep hearing people say that it is SO important 12/12 but lets just say it's out of your hands and you had to pick one, would it be better to give it 11.5 hours of darkness or 12.5 hours of darkness?

and the people that say it needs AT LEAST 12 to flower, does that mean if you give it even 15 minutes less, it won't?

thanks!

I am no expert, but i was led to believe that 12/12 was the best, but i would have to say if i had to choose, i would give it 12.5. The reason i say this is becuase you just might get a little more production.

I would just go to the weather channel or online and look at your whole month of september and october. average out the daylight hours and violah.

Only humans are semetric and repetitive. Not plants. A little and little being the keyword here, difference couldnt hurt.

jeffca said:

thanks!

Actually plants do not require "12" hours of darkness at all. Outdoor plants start flowering with a lot closer to 10 hours of darkness. But it requires several weeks of decreasing light hours to initiate flowering OD.
By going directly to 12/12 ID, the flowering onset is accelerated in comparison. "Most" strains, other than equatorial sativas, will remain flowering under about 14 hrs of light. According to studies that I've read, nearlly twice as much thc is produced under 12 hours of light, than under 10. Deductive reasoning, would then point toward 11.5 hours of darkness, as the better choice of the two.. IMO

Yep. What Hick said. I've flowered on 13 on/11 off before without a problem:).

Latest posts

Back