how can u tell if rootbound..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn_toker420

PurpMountainMan
Reaction score
If anyone could explain to me what the signs of a rootbound plant is or even post a pic of a rootbound i'd appreciate it...My biggest plant is in a 5 gal. and i'm worried it's starting to become rb...Also i was wondering if it was rootbound or not, could i cut out the bottom of the bucket and just place it into the ground like a tube...??? if ya can help i'd appreciate it, cye:cool:

You could cut the bottom out of bucket and place into hole in ground... however personally I have never had any problems with plants outgrowing 5 gal buckets since MJ is an annual plant. I use 5gal buckets outside since the weather can be unpredictable as well plants may need to come in before a frost threatens or they are easy to move from prying eyes if they outgrow a spot that hid them. If your climate zone has a longer grow season than mine you possibly could develop a root bound issue, but personally think it is unlikely. Take it inside under 12/12 light and finish her off!

got no indoor setup whatsoever...it's a bummer, i wish i did

I really wouldnt worry about it, from my experience with other perennial plants where root bound issues do occur, it usually took more time than the life cycle of a mj plant has... although, I havent seen everything under the sun, so it is possible I suppose. If your plant is really large and mature, are you sure you want to risk possibly doing more damage to the plant by re planting it into a bigger container, shocking it, possibly killing it? Or just let her finish off naturally in the pot she is in.

Never had problems with root bound but I've read growth will slow down and leaves start to droop. Its amazing how big some peoples plants on here get with very little root space. I gotta agree with growdammit a 5 gal is plenty room to grow a nice sized plant or you could transplant if you wanna.

i had no intentions at all on transplanting to another containg...just possibly removing the bottom and placing in ground...But i'm afraid that when cutting the bottom out of the bucket i'll damage the roots which = stress...soo what do i do??? will there be a lot of damage to roots when i tube it??? The plants maybe 2 1/2 -3 mo after germ...pushin' 5ft

tn_toker420 said:
i had no intentions at all on transplanting to another containg...just possibly removing the bottom and placing in ground...But i'm afraid that when cutting the bottom out of the bucket i'll damage the roots which = stress...soo what do i do??? will there be a lot of damage to roots when i tube it??? The plants maybe 2 1/2 -3 mo after germ...pushin' 5ft

i cut the bottoms off the buckets my plants were growing in a couple years back and they did fine, just be careful. i used a sharp razorblade( again be careful;) ) to cut the bottom off than left the bottom to support the dirt in the bucket untill right before i put it in the ground.depending on where your at you might want to amend the ground with some ferts. i just tilled the ground right where i was going to put the bucket and then added some bat guano.hope this helps:)

Latest posts

Back