how close should a 600 watt HPS lamp be to SEEDLINGS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamstein

Reaction score
i know 18 inches sounds about right for plants, but do i need to lift it higher for seedlings, they are less than a week out of seed

light is 20 inches away now

sorry for being a noob, ive been searching for a solid figure on this for like an hour now

I'm just a rookie but I dont think you can hurt the plants with too much light, its the heat you have to be concerned with, also you should be using a oscilating fan on the seedlings to strengthen them anyways and that will disapate the heat, I'm running a couple 600 watt lights too, 18 inches should be about right, the pros will correct me if i'm wrong, good luck with your grow...

:yeahthat: , heat is your enemy and an oscilating fan will strenghthen the stems to support all the bud they`ll produce!
good luck man, peace

jamstein said:
i know 18 inches sounds about right for plants, but do i need to lift it higher for seedlings, they are less than a week out of seed

light is 20 inches away now

sorry for being a noob, ive been searching for a solid figure on this for like an hour now
This is MHO,a 600 hps is OVER KILL for seedlings.Give them something a little more softer.Like some CFL"S,or floresents.then when they are a little older then go ahead and give them that 600hps.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

some peeps say that using c fl`s to begin a grow will create tighter nodes.
just a thought...

An HPS is going to cause stretching unless you can add some significant blue light into the mix. I also think a 600W is a little much for seedlings. Even with fans, the heat is a real concern. If they dry out at all, you will lose them.

Latest posts

Back