How Do People Get Busted?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raw Dog

Reaction score
I read forums on marijuana and theres always some dude killin my high sayin that growing bud isnt worth getting caught. Now Im growin a little bit of weed right now( 2 plants). But Im thinkin of steppin up. I think as long as you dont tell noone and your not sloppy theres probably no way cops can catch you for growin like 4 or 6 plants. Yet theres always people sayin youll get caught. Anyone seen like an episode of cops or something and know some ways besides the obvious how cops catch growers?BTW I live in Texas so Im a little more paranoid .

Raw Dog said:
I read forums on marijuana and theres always some dude killin my high sayin that growing bud isnt worth getting caught. Now Im growin a little bit of weed right now( 2 plants). But Im thinkin of steppin up. I think as long as you dont tell noone and your not sloppy theres probably no way cops can catch you for growin like 4 or 6 plants. Yet theres always people sayin youll get caught. Anyone seen like an episode of cops or something and know some ways besides the obvious how cops catch growers?BTW I live in Texas so Im a little more paranoid .

there is always the chance to get caught.

Almost all people get caught because of there mouth, people facing jail will quickly throw out your name to save their own hide, so think about that.

Also, you need to know the criminal climate of your area.

Living in the suburbs, i can tell ya, cops have nothing better to do than bother peaceful growers, as there isnt much crime.

a small grow (1000w or smaller imo) should be very hard to detect if you use carbon filters and cannot see from the road.

go big, get busted, stay small and you shouldnt have any problems.

:ciao: most time it someone telling..a lot is ex boyfriend/girlfriend..And like Jbones said..theres allways a chance of getting caught..But IMO..if ya dont tell anyone..and i meen no one..and keep you nose clean..you wont have any problems.. I think a lot get a grow on..get excited and want to share it with someone...Thats where we come in...Come here to do you Braggin:D Good luck to you..keep us posted..but most of all Take care and be safe

oh...i do a lot of bragging:giggle:

I have been growing many years and no-one I know would have any idea that I have a secret hobby ;)

I remember back to when I first started growing it was like I had a burning desire to tell someone, anyone, it was like a pressure inside needing to be released.

Resist it, it will only get you busted.

:peace:

People forget about "image" too.
Even if you don't tell anyone, if you have traffic at odd hours, parties, criminal history, neighbor complaints, and just being young and dumb will draw the eye to you.
Keep your yard looking good, try to keep a regular schedule regarding yourself and when company comes over. no new faces. or better yet live like a hermit like myself LOL.
Don't sport clothes that show your a stoner too much. Keep the tie dyes for special events. Look like a regular joe schmoe living your life will help as well. Keep your neighbors at a safe distance...don't be too friendly, but be nice polite and helpful. They'll keep an eye out for ya too without even knowing your up to anything ;)
Live under the radar. Don't give em an excuse to put an eye on ya.

edit:
One thing that has kept me out of trouble is be very picky who your friends are. none of mine have any serious criminal offenses and 0 within the past 7 yrs simple possession being the worst. Most of my friends have micros or sumit in the garden. They are proffesional working people with families and just as paranoid as me :p...its all the good weed we grow LOL. NONE of my friends deal. NOT A ONE. Watch out for the ones that get into trouble a lot...sorry they me be fun to be around get your back n all, but the first things cops notice are the people associated with those types. I call people like that an unnecessary risk. They will get you into trouble at some point. even if by accident. people like that i consider a time bomb..."oh crap, whats it going to be next"

DONT TELL NO ONE and if you do tell em you only have 1 7 inch plant nothing big

Along with all said. I kind of think growers are busted mainly as a 2nd hand offense.
Cop comes to the door to serve ChildSupport papers, or some other notice. And see the person is wrecked, so check the home. Like the guy last week in the news section busted for pot when he was stealing power and had 2 stolen cars parked in the yard.

Im the opposite of Mutt. I keep everyone as close as possible. Had a couple neighbors over earlier. Have people coming in and out all the time. Which I encourage, not to be cocky like Im trying to get away with something. Im just more comfortable that way is all. Nobody even knows I smoke, not local friends, family or anyone.

Now for safety. Since Im no spring chicken. I do have a cleanup person that should anything ever happen to me. Will come instantly and take care of all that mess. Have to do that. Dont want to have a heartattack and be up in the hospital with plants and lights sitting there burning nonstop with just the wife and kids there. Since they know nothing about it themselves.

...on the Marijuana Passion Forum! :holysheep:

No one needs to know anything. It can only hurt both you and the informed parties if they know that you're growing weed. If friends get suspicious about where all the killer bud is coming from, tell them you have a buddy from work who knows someone that has a hobby and you have access to limited quantities... In Cali or many other areas no one would wonder where you're getting the diggity dank but out here in the United States of Paranoia pulling out some stanky stank at a social gathering will cause a stampede if good bud is in short supply...:rolleyes:

Be safe... Imho loose lips and carelessness including lack of odor control get people busted... A couple just got popped not too far away from here with a grow in a bedroom. The news mentioned that the $450 power bill was used to confirm a tip from an informant about the grow op. So once again, it wasn't the fact that the house was using $450/mo in power while the neighbors all had bills around $150-$200, it was some informant who tipped the police to investigate and then they pulled their power bills to confirm...

Shhhhh!;)

Now for safety. Since Im no spring chicken. I do have a cleanup person that should anything ever happen to me. Will come instantly and take care of all that mess. Have to do that. Dont want to have a heartattack and be up in the hospital with plants and lights sitting there burning nonstop with just the wife and kids there. Since they know nothing about it themselves.

I have the same exact arrangment with a grower friend. They are very hard to find. but this one got me into ID gardening and been bros with him for 12 yrs.
He knows i'm a single parent and if i should die or get into an accident he'd be here in 30 minutes to dispose of whole grow. Don't need that kinda hell on me or family when laid up or sumit worse.

When crap hits the fan...an herb garden is the biggest PITA to have. I know first hand what taking a whole grow with late mid flower plants down in 30 minutes with cops parked out front for other reasons not so good but not legal with your head spinnig on other things.....not fun.

Side note i still giggle we pulled it off right under there noses :p Everything finished up and got harvested elsewhere LOL pays to run a business butt load of boxes and a trailer. Cops just watched one even offered to help load due to my circumstances. :holysheep: Said dude drove 200 miles and had to deal with it then would deal with the other stuff. They had to do there suicide watch i guess till family showed :rolleyes:

Even if you don't have a grower friend at least have someone cool enough to help you out. Back-up plan. helped me out immensely then.

"I aint got friends I got enemies, so if they with me that means they my brother"

I saw an episode of Cops where they were chasing a suspect through a southern suburban area. They ran into a front porch area looking for the suspect. The cops saw a front door slightly open so they opened all the way yelling "police". What they saw was crazy! The house was filled with herb! They didnt find the suspect...but they did find the owner. :( sad times

maryjanenewbie said:
What about medical cards? Won't that help if Johnny Law comes a knockin?
As long as you are following the medical laws. For me its 12 plants. 6 mature-6 immature

Many people get busted because they can't keep thier mouth shut, however the single biggest reason growers get busted is power theft.

Keep your mouth shut, keep the odour under control, pay your power bills and if you are growing outside don't piss off your neighbours.

If you need to tell someone, post it up here, we'll all appreciate it.

Alot has been covered, but I have to say that Mutt makes a very Valid point. Really know your friends man. I have only a few friends...and alot of aquaintences....if u now what I mean. Hang out with felons...ur just lookin' for trouble. Hard lesson learned for me.

But really, it's 99% a dumb move on the growers part. The number one dumb move, imo, is comfortability. You get comfortable...you get lazy...you get lazy....people catch on.
IE. Bringing in grow supplies while your neighbor is mowing his lawn. Washing your equipment outside...u never know who is lookin'.
Being "comfortable" can lead to many many mistakes man. Another BIG one is blowin' your herb at the bar pickin' up hotties and then bringin' the afterparty to your pad. Was that 3some really worth it? Hell ya! Buts thats another story!

But seriously, stay on guard when working in and around your garden.

you get lazy
Another BIG one is blowin' your herb at the bar pickin' up hotties and then bringin' the afterparty to your pad. Was that 3some really worth it? Hell ya! Buts thats another story!

moral to that is don't be lazy...turn out the lights and fans before bringin the party in :p

Latest posts

Back