how do you explain??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missabentley

Gold Member
Reaction score
hello all

looking for some opinions here. i am a young father in a
"decriminalized" state. so here is my question how do you explain t,o or hide from your children your grow room. they will be of age soon to where they would be able to get into the room. so i will be keep a key lock then. simple enough right? but eventually they will become curious and questions will be asked. i dont want to lie. my wife obviously knows and 100 percent supports my grow (only a seldom toker) however we are activist in our state. we would not be upset if our children smoked or grew some day. but until were mmj or its out right legal in our state i fear other children's parents finding out. i guess im really just looking for any input on the matter whether youre legal or not. thanks!!:48:

It's my opinion that if you have children, you no longer have secrets. If/when your kids find out what you're doing they're gonna' tell. They'll only tell their closest friend and make him swear to keep it a secret (until they have an argument).
But it's a juicy tidbit of info and it will get around.

yeah. taking a hiatus or moving to a mmj state or my state going legal are all possibilities.. i have a good 5 years before having to answer questions, i just got to thinkinbout it tonightl.... oh or moving to the shed LOL

i sat mine down and told them the truth. i showed them how it helps people, so they could judge for themselves. i also let them in on the secret, that their grandparents use marijuana too. they only show interest when i'm making caps, butter, or oil for patients. i'm not in a med. state. honesty can definitely bite you in the ***, but i refuse to lie to my children.

I built the room in the new house with a secret door. Has peg board that has hidden hinges and swings out. Has ropes, tools, etc hanging on hooks. Not even a adult would know. For me, were just not there yet to tell them about it. Not lying if I don't say anything about it. :)

thanks for the input everyone! Also, has anyone ever smoked with their adult children? 17-24ish after being approached? or say after busting your kid with their own? lol. In no way do i mean push it on them. As a newer parent its very weird to think about these scenarios. seems like not to long ago i was on the opposite end striking a curiosity for marijuana.

this is a great topic...as I started growing when my children were very young...I live in Seattle...we been Medical since 95...and just went recreational use...before Seattle was Rec...I was keeping secret..when the kids came of age...3rd grade..I sat them down and told them...I wanted them to know MY feelings on the subject...not the schools...My kids are now older....I think because I sat them down and explained why I do what I do...they dont even think of it anymore....I dont smoke with my kids and not sure they even partake...my oldest is 19 now and I dont think the kids Smoke....and I would rather them tell me and smoke some my meds and not get busted buying crap from friends....and its so available around here...if they was to take some...I wouldnt know....so in a nut shell...explain to the kids when they old enough...or the schools will tech them....

:48:

The shed is probably a good idea. I quit when our kids were little then started again when they were out of the house. Now my daughter, in her thirty's, and I have the best time smoking or vaping together. It is good medicine in more ways than one.

Since i live in a legal and mmj state I think if i had young kids i would tell them i was growing medicine from a plant and then explain all the medicine we get from plants.
Because you asked the question, your going to be a good dad and do the right thing. Good luck.

It also depends on the kids, I think 4U did a great job with his great kids.

Cubby is right too, if you tell them it is a secret... your in trouble.

Like i said, good luck.

Wooo.. I have so much to say, so for now I'm only going to say; Thank you! Thank you for making this thread! I have a 2 and 1/2 year old little girl and I feel exactly like the majority here. I want to tell her when it's appropriate timing, and allow her to understand various medicines come from various places and the uses etc. I have a small want to let her know that daddy would go away for a very very very long time if she told anyone. I don't know what to do yet, and I damn near got emotional reading all these posts above me.. I don't know why. Yeah, that's the child part of me now too....I cry on certain TV commercials since she came in my life!! lol! :D

Basically, I'm going to subscribe to this thread and keep reading it through the years. :aok:

i had dyfs come to my house 3 days ago, and the wife got freaked out cause the lady wanted to search the house. now the wife doesn't want me growing anymore. so we sat down and had a long discussion about what im doing and how long i want to be doing it for and especially what to do about the kids. they're 5 & 10. i really appreciate everyone's feedback as well. i really like hearing everyone opinion and experiences on this subject

...ohh and no i don't beat my kids, i flicked my daughter on the arm. she got a bruise, and was telling her friends about it in class. her teacher saw, brought her into the other room. she told the teacher what happened, and they're required by law to report it. it's inconvenient, but i'm not mad about it.

i got a 12 yr old---grow is under lock down---she has seen many outdoor plants and jars throughout the years---mom is a big stoner and likely smokes around her---we are divorced---even if mom is smoking around her now as she was when we were together---not confident she will use it against me in the courts---i do not smoke around my daughter---i have given much thought to how and when i will share the secret she prolly already knows---figure i will move into light conversations about it when we see grows on the news---we spend quality time together and i will show her when the time is convenient---will be having those conversations soon

My children are grown now....... I never grew in my house or any where else til they were out of the house...... I live in a state where penalties are stiff for growing...... I'm sure my kids know I smoke their mother(my wife) doesn't smoke...... if it was legal where I am, I would have grown........ but because it is not legal, I choose not to.

I would explain to them that sometimes the Government lies to their citizens.

4u2sm0ke said:
:giggle:

I started growing in my shed....and is where I grow today:D

:48:
The shed is a def possibility after I invest in temp controls. It already has its own breaker from the house bc the people before us used it as a coupe :D

pcduck said:
I would explain to them that sometimes the Government lies to their citizens.
I agree 100% my main concern was them telling people not realizing how much trouble they could get their daddy in

Thanks for all the input everyone. It's nice to talk to normal, good people about this. We are NOT criminals. "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."-Thomas Jefferson

Rosebud said:
The shed is probably a good idea. I quit when our kids were little then started again when they were out of the house. Now my daughter, in her thirty's, and I have the best time smoking or vaping together. It is good medicine in more ways than one.

Since i live in a legal and mmj state I think if i had young kids i would tell them i was growing medicine from a plant and then explain all the medicine we get from plants.
Because you asked the question, your going to be a good dad and do the right thing. Good luck.

It also depends on the kids, I think 4U did a great job with his great kids.

Cubby is right too, if you tell them it is a secret... your in trouble.

Like i said, good luck.

Thanks Rose

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."-Thomas Jefferson

Cheers for the quote Miss :aok:

Yeah, I don't want to lie and I do not feel like a criminal. It's just not right! :(

I agree with Brimck325

lovbnstoned :cool: :icon_smile:
ol stoner

Latest posts

Back