how far?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilikebigbuds

Reaction score
how far should my 1000watt relector be from the plants?
I know I should know but I am just wondering what the experts say about it?:eek:

IMO, as close as you can get it without burning your plants. If your reflector is air-cooled and you have good ventilation, you can get them pretty close. Lights lose a lot of lumens as they get farther from the plants. Since lighting is your greatest expense, I don't like to waste any of those lumens. My plants are usually less than 6" away from the glass on my reflector.

thanks Goddess, I have the reflector close with my 400 watt bulb, but my 1000watt is a cylinder type reflector and it does seem to get very hot.
I have it about 2 ft above everyone right now.

What I do is place the lamp where I want it and put my hand just over the highest plant and if I can feel the light burning the top side of my hand, I know it is too close...

the 1000 without air cool should be at 24-30 inches above canopy...There is a chart here somewhere but Im to high to look for it right now..Good luck

The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, as close as you can get it without burning your plants. If your reflector is air-cooled and you have good ventilation, you can get them pretty close. Lights lose a lot of lumens as they get farther from the plants. Since lighting is your greatest expense, I don't like to waste any of those lumens. My plants are usually less than 6" away from the glass on my reflector.

If I remember correctly, lumen output drops approximately about half for every foot...“The Inverse Square Law”

Latest posts

Back