How late can I trim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjb

Garage Grower
Reaction score
Hello. Can any of y'all tell me how far into flowering you should stop trimming lower branches? I'm 7 days into 12/12 now and I have a few lower branches I'd like to trim.:icon_smile:

I have done it at the 3 week period before with no problems, but I try to get any trimming done prior to 12/12.

I have trimmed lower stuff well into flowering without any issues but that will depend on how sturdy the genetics are in the plant. If it came from bag-seed then you have to be careful because of the stress induced hermies are more common with bagseed and poor genetics. I wouldn't do any major trimming after about halfway point :)

I wait two weeks into bloom to see where the sweet budsites are and then trim a third of the vegetation away from the bottom up (including limbs which usually are made into starts at that time) I also like to use my lightmeter and if anything falls below 5k it gets a-trimmin'

7greeneyes said:
I wait two weeks into bloom to see where the sweet budsites are and then trim a third of the vegetation away from the bottom up (including limbs which usually are made into starts at that time) I also like to use my lightmeter and if anything falls below 5k it gets a-trimmin'

I agree, I try to wait till the plants are at least half way done stretching from the flip to do my final trim

I try and do all trimming before the flip to avoid stress and slowing of growth. That being said, I have trimmed up to 3 weeks into flowering. I wouldn't do any major trimming in flower though. The plant will waste energy trying to heal itself rather then focusing all energy on creating Dank buds. Kind of like letting your plant get heavily seeded. Not to mention your lady might get guy parts. Jmo

yeah, I've never done that to any "from seed" gals, just my clones get the radical pruning, never had any probs.

let it grow for the hash.....i never trim...all those popcorn buds/under growth makes great hash......

Thanks y'all. thats a lot of good info.

Latest posts

Back