How long are seeds good for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSkool420

Reaction score
Last week my deep freezer went out, while I was cleaning it out I found some seeds that I put in there years ago.
So I tried tgerminating some and they sprouted, are these seeds good or do they lose their potency after awhile.

I would hate to waste the time and effort on bad seeds.

Yual good pilgrem some says they get weak but i be growin seeds over forty years old some of them and still fills my pouch. Ifin yual says they germinated and broke tap root well that tap root be needin some dirt so goes helps it out pilgrem and happy smokin ;)

BWD

if they sprouted they will grow...its the Love you give that makes the potency

:48:

High temperature and high humidity will degrade your seed quality quickly. Consider them the enemy!
Fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels are just as damaging.
Seeds can be frozen for longer storage.
Seed moisture must be below 9% to avoid the internal moisture from swelling when frozen and damaging the outer seed shell.
Test to see if moisture levels are low enough. As a general rule of thumb, dried seeds that break when pressure is applied, instead of bending in, are 9% moisture or lower.
Use airtight containers to store dried seeds. Baby food jars or small canning jars with rubber seals work well. You can cut gaskets from rubber inner tubes or similar material to fit larger jars for larger stocks. Vacuum sealers can also be used.
Unless you plan to plant the entire contents of your entire storage jar, (never a good idea to plant all your seed at once-if you loose that planting, you loose it all!) when you remove it from the freezer allow the jar to warm to room temperature before opening. This prevents condensation from forming on cold seeds and partially re-hydrating them.
Partially re-hydrated seeds may exceed the 9% moisture level and die when refrozen. Choose the smallest jars possible to avoid frequent openings and temperature fluctuations to keep the remaining seed in best condition.

I use the small strip containers or old camera film snap top airtight plastic "bottles" to store my seeds at cupboard temperature. i have seeds that germ after 10 years of storage and others that dont. but 90% is good i think. this is regular seeds of course.

OldSkool420 said:
High temperature and high humidity will degrade your seed quality quickly. Consider them the enemy!
Fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels are just as damaging.
Seeds can be frozen for longer storage.
Seed moisture must be below 9% to avoid the internal moisture from swelling when frozen and damaging the outer seed shell.
Test to see if moisture levels are low enough. As a general rule of thumb, dried seeds that break when pressure is applied, instead of bending in, are 9% moisture or lower.
Use airtight containers to store dried seeds. Baby food jars or small canning jars with rubber seals work well. You can cut gaskets from rubber inner tubes or similar material to fit larger jars for larger stocks. Vacuum sealers can also be used.
Unless you plan to plant the entire contents of your entire storage jar, (never a good idea to plant all your seed at once-if you loose that planting, you loose it all!) when you remove it from the freezer allow the jar to warm to room temperature before opening. This prevents condensation from forming on cold seeds and partially re-hydrating them.
Partially re-hydrated seeds may exceed the 9% moisture level and die when refrozen. Choose the smallest jars possible to avoid frequent openings and temperature fluctuations to keep the remaining seed in best condition.

Other than the freezing part, I agree 420%.

I don't freeze mine, but keep in the fridge and the seeds stay viable for years.

Big +1 on letting them come to room temp before cracking the jar.

Wet

4u2sm0ke said:
if they sprouted they will grow...its the Love you give that makes the potency

:48:

pretty much that

:smoke1:

Latest posts

Back