Hydro container choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia

Organic Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was browsing through the rubbermaid containers during a recent trip to walmart, and I was looking for a future container to setup four plants in. One that caught my eye mainly due to it's size was a 16 gallon with dimensions 30.5"x14.3"x12.8" Is this container deep enough to accomodate the large root systems that develop in hydro setups? I'm planning on setting up a DWC style with six inch net pots. I was hoping to squeeze 4 plants in a row along the top. Pictures of the container below. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated.

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

Yes, that bucket would be perfect. Hydro systems actually develop a very small amount of roots when compared to soil. If you see in my grow journal, "rooted skunk clone to flower", there is a pic of an 18" tall plant and its root system. Literally a half a hand full. The reason behind this is the nutes being so easily available for the plant in the water so it doesn't have to search like in soil. I have my plants in 5" of water depth and they do great. The most important piece of a DWC is the bubbler. You need many, many bubbles for the plant to be as happy as possible.

I wouldn't put the plants in a straight line... take advantage of your space as much as possible and space them out.

Latest posts

Back