Hydroponic clone question.....Please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
First off, hello all.
I'm starting my first hydroponic garden and I'm in need of some information.
I can't seem to find any decent seeds to grow. But a friend of mine knows someone who can get me some decent clones. The problem is: These clones have been growing in dirt. My question is: Is it possible to turn these dirt clones into Hydro plants?
Any information would be deeply appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

sorry, man... no help here. never done hydro. sorry.

but I mean.... could you just remove the dirt from around the roots and transport them to your hydro system?... anyone?... anyone?

Its possible, pain in the butt to actually do.

Get a slow stream of warm water, not hot, not cold, warm. Then slowly and gently wash the dirt away. All the while trying to hold the root ball without crushing or damaging the roots, a 2nd pair of hands would probably be useful. If you have the little hose thing on your sink that'll work perfectly. Don't ask me what to do with the dirt though, maybe a few 5 gallon buckets??? I don't think you would want all that stuff going into your garbage disposal...

Make sure to get ALL the dirt, it'll clog up your pump if you left it filter through your media... What type of system are you using?

bono said:
Its possible, pain in the butt to actually do.

Get a slow stream of warm water, not hot, not cold, warm. Then slowly and gently wash the dirt away. All the while trying to hold the root ball without crushing or damaging the roots, a 2nd pair of hands would probably be useful. If you have the little hose thing on your sink that'll work perfectly. Don't ask me what to do with the dirt though, maybe a few 5 gallon buckets??? I don't think you would want all that stuff going into your garbage disposal...

Make sure to get ALL the dirt, it'll clog up your pump if you left it filter through your media... What type of system are you using?

I thought that might be the way to go... now for cleaning off the dirt... fill a 4 or 5 gal bucket with water and leave it sit for a day or so to reach room temp, then dunk the clones gently in the warm water to clean off the roots... just be real gentle

Token said:
First off, hello all.
I'm starting my first hydroponic garden and I'm in need of some information.
I can't seem to find any decent seeds to grow. But a friend of mine knows someone who can get me some decent clones. The problem is: These clones have been growing in dirt. My question is: Is it possible to turn these dirt clones into Hydro plants?
Any information would be deeply appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

No problem. You can even take a rooted plant from dirt, Wash the roots and stick in in a hydro garden. Not that I reccomend it but Ive done it.

Stunzeed..

vancouver has it right. I have taken clones from dirt and switched them to hydro on 4 different grows when i decided i'd try dirt growing but of course changed my mind last minute and reverted back to trusted hydro. This wont work good in a NFT system but in DWC or ebb and flow etc it will work nicely. Id suggest putting a screen over the pump/pumping column for the first couple of times you change the water/re-water just in case of loose dirt and clogged pumps. And if you had fertilizer in the dirt with the clones be sure to check the mix with a ppm meter cause it can add to the strength of your existing nutes. good luck and heres a little extra of that good green luck:48:

Latest posts

Back