I did it all and still can smell it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazz

D Great Conversationalist
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not stranger to growing and have a serious problem that I need imediate help with. I'm growing about 13 plants in a grow tent (3 super skunks, 1 northern light- feminized, 1 durban poison- feminized, 5 red diesel- feminized and 3 white berry- feminized). I'm running a 250w hps and a 125w cfl 2700k with an inline 6" exhaust going straight to a carbon scrubber. I have two lysol nutra air auto sprayers set in 9 minute intervals in my garage to go along with 2 air wick plug ins and a 1/2lb tub of clenair cherry odor neutraling gel block sitting in a 4gal bucket complete with a small fan blowing directly on the block. I put holes in the bucket to increase the effectiveness of the bucket setup. All that and I shouldn't have a problem right? The problem is that i smell the herb as soon as I walk in my front door everyday. when I walk in the garage, I can't smell a thing but the basement also has airwicks throughout as well as the other parts of my house. FOR SOME REASON I CAN SMELL IT UPSTAIRS. WHY? WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO DO? I CANT HAVE LEO AT MY DOOR. I AM LITERALLY 1 DAY AWAY FROM CLONING AND STARTING THE FLOWERING PHASE. PLEASE HELP ME. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED? :confused::holysheep:

yes. it would cost me another $500 for the supplies to exhaust to the the chimney not to mention the chimney cleaning costs.is that my problem? when i did about 6 plants the same way, i didn't have these problems with less air freshners. just the carbon scrubber and 1 airwick

Is your furnace in the garage and is it as cold as a witch's teat outside? If so, then you are spreading the odor through that system, most likely...

Peace...j.b.

most likely... when was the last time you cleaned/replaced the active carbon?... it loses it's purification abilities with use, eh?

why would you bother to clean the chimney?... no fire is going to be going up the flu... just air...:confused:

you said you are doing this in your garage... the grow is in the garage, is it not?... it's not possible for you to punch a little hole for an exhaust vent in one of the walls IN THE GARAGE? ? ? how about a window?... open the window and block off the opening except for a hole which is yer exhaust....

tazz said:
yes. it would cost me another $500 for the supplies to exhaust to the the chimney not to mention the chimney cleaning costs.is that my problem? when i did about 6 plants the same way, i didn't have these problems with less air freshners. just the carbon scrubber and 1 airwick

well thats your problem right their,it needs too be going out somewhere or smelly house :)

my garage is attached to my basement but it's separated from the house by a steel door. the heater is at least 40 feet away from the garage in another part of the basement so that's not it. it is cold outside so i think i may need to vent outside but i don't see how that's gonna help me. if the air is neutralized, how does it get upstairs? the garage is separated by cement. no holes or anything.

vancouver. i'll get fresh carbon tomorrow since i last used this system about a year ago

If you put the carbon in the oven and run it at about 250C - 300C for 45 minutes it will be reactivated and work fine.

If you are using a Carbon Filter why not vent it outside.

Hey Tazz, TCVG has you on the right path to a solution. The absorption pores of activated carbon get pretty clogged up when using it for filtering the odor of weed.

Odor is actually particulate that in the case of weed, is plant matter and oil. Your plants are in their most "smelly" condition from the time of just short of flowering, up to harvest. If you were to take a look at the pores of the carbon now, you'd see that they're full of dust, oil and plant matter. It's a bummer, because of the cost of the stuff, but starting with a new filter for each grow is important.

Good luck man! As soon as you've changed out the filter, you'll be back to a safe grow without having to worry about having any pork sliding up to your door.

leafminer said:
If you put the carbon in the oven and run it at about 250C - 300C for 45 minutes it will be reactivated and work fine.
I'm sorry leafminer, but that's not accurate information.

Reactivation of activated charcoal is done in an oxygen free atmosphere at between 600 and 1200 degrees F. It has to be vented outside for the obvious reasons and the lack of oxygen will keep it from burning.

If you were to put it into an oven at 200 to 300 C (about 400-600 F) in an oxygen atmosphere, what you would get is a house full of really obnoxious smoke and fumes and possibly a fire in your oven when the clogging substances reached their flash point. For those substances that didn't reach flash point or vaporization, it would melt and further clog the absorption pores of the charcoal and make it worse, not better.

DO NOT try this at home folks. Throw the stuff out and just buy some more.

For the price of a burnt down home, you can buy a LOT of activated charcoal.

tazz said:
Hi All,

I'm not stranger to growing and have a serious problem that I need imediate help with. I'm growing about 13 plants in a grow tent (3 super skunks, 1 northern light- feminized, 1 durban poison- feminized, 5 red diesel- feminized and 3 white berry- feminized). I'm running a 250w hps and a 125w cfl 2700k with an inline 6" exhaust going straight to a carbon scrubber. I have two lysol nutra air auto sprayers set in 9 minute intervals in my garage to go along with 2 air wick plug ins and a 1/2lb tub of clenair cherry odor neutraling gel block sitting in a 4gal bucket complete with a small fan blowing directly on the block. I put holes in the bucket to increase the effectiveness of the bucket setup. All that and I shouldn't have a problem right? The problem is that i smell the herb as soon as I walk in my front door everyday. when I walk in the garage, I can't smell a thing but the basement also has airwicks throughout as well as the other parts of my house. FOR SOME REASON I CAN SMELL IT UPSTAIRS. WHY? WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO DO? I CANT HAVE LEO AT MY DOOR. I AM LITERALLY 1 DAY AWAY FROM CLONING AND STARTING THE FLOWERING PHASE. PLEASE HELP ME. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED? :confused::holysheep:
Problem solved :aok:

OZONE GENERATOR

http://discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=204&navid=23 (the best one)

http://discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=205&navid=23 (this will still work just as good)

discount hydro is the cheapest and fastest shipping in california and they ship across the US and great customer service

i know ozone generators are an efficient way to eliminate odor but i think ozone generators have the potential to damage lung tissue if your around it all the time. im pretty sure i read an article somewhere on that. check it out, just a thought.

Bukshot911 said:
i know ozone generators are an efficient way to eliminate odor but i think ozone generators have the potential to damage lung tissue if your around it all the time. im pretty sure i read an article somewhere on that. check it out, just a thought.
yeah yeah :ignore: , at least it stops the smell ;)

:goodposting: not only that, but if your not carefull you can damage the plants with ozone.

pimpdaddycoolz said:
:goodposting: not only that, but if your not carefull you can damage the plants with ozone.
:ignore: :ignore: Bottom line is that if you know know what your doing with the ozone gen, you shouldnt have any problems, it's not that hard to successfully run a ozone generator

whats the point of running an ozone generator if he has a carbon scrubber though?

And thats like saying HEY! LETS LIGHT A BON FIRE NEXT TO OUR PLANTS! AND SINCE WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OKAY!

But that goes for anything i guess, including the lights. honestly, the whole electrical setup of a grow operation is a hazard. especially running 600 to 1000 watt lights. I mean yeah we know what we are doing, atleast i hope everyone else does hahaha! just kidding, but seriously, whats the point in buying a new contraption when a new filter would work fine?

Well obviously you will smell it inside, the smell is gonna creep through every nook and cranny of your house until it's reached an equilibrium, being dispursed equally thorugh-out the house. So as your plants get smellier and smellier, you're gonna notice that smell further and further around your house as it makes it way through the walls, floors, etc.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to start off with replacing the carbon first. I'll post a few pics for all to see in a few hours. I forgot to ask one more question, should the carbon filter be connected to a duct from the fan or is it best to run it straight from the exhaust without the duct work?

Latest posts

Back