I have never cloned before, help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poop-dog

alright alright alright
Reaction score
Should I build a bubbler or clone the popular way? It cannot find rockwool but can easily get rapid rooters, not sure about cloning gel, I figure if they carry rapid rooters they carry a gel. If I go rapid rooters once they grow some roots can I place into dirt? I do not have a tray to hold them, is it worth buying one, or can I use foil or something to hold it upright? I am only looking to start two clones to be dirt grown.

It seems everyone has a different preferred method. I just need to get these going asap. I am like 4 weeks behind starting to flower this girl. She is way to big.

thanks

hello ****...:giggle: yes you will get a lot of diffrent ways..I use a bubble cloner from the DIY section here on MP..works for me...otheres like rapid rooter..some like dirt..I like the bubble cloner for its the easiest for me and cleaner..remember the most important thing is Paitence...be sure to take the cutting with at least 2 node sites..now get to it befor she out grows ya:rofl: take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Drove out there and they had rockwool. I got 1.5 inch cubes. I also got a jar of Olivia's cloning gel. I made a little tray and that tray will be at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with a 12" 6500K 15 watt flourecent tube vertically next to them. I will then place a piece of glass on top. The whole thing will fit under my fish tank next to the refugium where its warm and humid all the time.

Questions - Some say to soak the rockwool for 24 hours first. Others say just get it moist in stick it in - hehe. Some say use light nutes. Others say no nutes at all for a several weeks. The cubes have plastic around the side, not top or bottom. Should I remove this? After a couple weeks or when the roots are shooting out can I transplant straight into dirt, the whole cube and all?

Oh, I also am going to try 1 or 2 straight into dirt cups as well.

thanks!

you will do as you please but this is what works for me 85%-95% success rate.

soak peat pucks
take cuttings and put in water
make 45 degree cut on clone under water
dip in rooting gel
poke hole in wet peat puck
insert clone stem
place on dome with 4ft floro
mist with water twice a day
8-14 days you see roots poking out of peat bag
plant in dirt
you may need to allow them to adjust to having no dome so watch for this.

JMO

Cool thanks. how long do you let them soak? Do you squeeze any water out before you insert the clone?

they can soak for as long as you want, 2-5 hours because you can squeeze em.

your next question is where it gets interesting, and becomes more like experience or personal preference.

i squeeze about half the water out of them before i poke the hole ,
stick the stem in and spray 2x a day in a dome, after about 3-4 days i give them a lite squeeze to remove some water and continue spraying 2x a day until i see roots, they need to be wet or damp but not compltely soaked.

its a lot of judgement calls.

Awesome, I gotta start somewhere. First grow, ended up with a girl after almost killing her 3 times, so if the clones are like her. I might just have a shot.

Well they are clones, so they should be Exactly like her.

Peace and Good Luck

Soak them in a low ph water 5.4 i've heard ! because these rockwool cubes make the ph rise again ! This is only what i;ve heard though I would do some reading and searching before i'd attempt anything ! Take care !

purple is right soak them first. i have had the best results with rockwool. leave the plastic on till transplant time.when you take cuts do it at a 45 degree angle the put cutting in water.you dont want that stem to take up any air. when you take them out of water dip in gel then insert in rockwool. you want alittle bit of humidity so i do mine in dome with 24 hrs of light with about 1/4 inch of water on the bottom of tray.4-7 days you should see roots out the bottom. then just take plastic off and transplant. also a heat matt helps but i never used one yet with about a 95 % success rate

Thanks, I did exactly that 24 hours ago and they still look perfect. I am surprised. They don't look saggy, or shriveled, or anything, just normal. I lightly misted them a bit ago.

So you are saying you have the rockwool in a container partially submerged in water the whole time? I have read you do not want them to moist.

i had saggy results before the rockwool. ya i keep 1/4 of water on the tray and let the m soak up as much as possible once bottom dries wait 2 or 3 days soak again and there just about done. not saying my way is the best it just works for me and so far my best success over all other methods.i tried just about everything before this. go figure it was the least expensive 45 cubes for 7 bucks

Here is a pic. Two clones in a 6 or 7 gallon bucket. 1 12" 6500K flouro tube. Just misted them. About 32 hours since cutting. I keep a top on them, rite next to the hot water heater.

clone.png

Thanks for the mojo... I also have one in dirt like your grow, and one only in water on the window sill. I appreciate all the help I have got on the forum. Everyone has a different experience and its great to base my future after all the knowledge.

As far as cloning goes I keep trying new way to find what works for me. The plants want to grow we just have to make the condition the best we can in each of our inviroments.

****-dog said:
Thanks, I did exactly that 24 hours ago and they still look perfect. I am surprised. They don't look saggy, or shriveled, or anything, just normal. I lightly misted them a bit ago.

So you are saying you have the rockwool in a container partially submerged in water the whole time? I have read you do not want them to moist.

NO, NO, NOOOOOO Never leave rockwool in water. It won't be able to take up air and you'll rot your cuttings. In fact, if it is a flat plastic bottom, you need just a bit of perlite under the rockwool.

To quote from the 1989 (?), SSSC catalog "... On a flat plastic surface without perlite the blocks would suck themselves fixed as it were. The water/air ratio in the blocks would then be seriously out of balance, which would result in rotting at the base of the cuttings."

They also say that the cfl should be about 2' away from the cuttings.

My super duper cloning machine and mommy area is nothing more than a shop light suspended from a sawhorse with a timer. The 2 grow bulbs cost about as much as everything else together.

The 'cloning chambers' are clear plastic storage boxes (about the size of a shoebox), from the dollar store. I leave the lids on for perhaps 48 hours max, then just open to the air, no misting. Might lose 2 out of 50, usually less.

The trick is, good stems on the cuttings. Keep the mommy's on a low N diet for nice firm, strong growth. High phos is good.

Besides all the high tech stuff, I use:
Clonex rooting gel
Clonex rooting solution
3"x3"x2 1/2" (no hole) rockwool cubes, 4 cuttings/cube.

I've used the 1 1/2"x1 1/2" cubes and they work fine, it's just easier for me to handle the 3" cubes since I water by hand, dunking them in the rooting solution. Plus, I only need to water every second or third day with the larger cubes.

Hope this helps. If you have any ???, sing out.

DD

Thanks! My cubes only soaked for a couple hours before I even inserted the clones. I mist them twice a day. I have actually used some toothpicks to make some legs for the cubes. So the roots have about an inch to hang down before they touch the plastic. They are looking great so far.

Latest posts

Back