I need help sealing our the rest of this light comming in my room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
I built my room in the garage using 2x4's and drywall. Unfortunately, neither the ceiling, or the floor was level, and after i put up the drywall there were a few spots with light still seeping through. I caulked the top and bottom of the room where the light comes through, but the caulking is not actually keeping out the light all the way. I still have a very minimal amount of light just barely illuminating through some cracks. I tried to use duckt tape to seal it out, but that did not work.

Any ideas of what I could use around the ceiling and baseboards to keep the light out? I dont really care what it looks like, i just want to make sure the light stays out. Its a growroom, so it does not need to be all the pretty, it just need to work. I would prefer some tape i could just line the room with, but open to other suggestions, thanks!

Hello Type S150-
Why didn't the duct tape work?

I used aluminum tape for all my cracks its almost like duct tape only better IMO, I also encorperated some cut up black garbage bags to stuff in the cracks as well.

Good luck

Cheers!!!

why isnt the tape working? is the light still coming through it? I would think that silver thick tape along all the edges would work.?

2Dog said:
why isnt the tape working? is the light still coming through it? I would think that silver thick tape along all the edges would work.?

Yeah, i used the cheap $2 per roll duct tape and it was very helpful at identifying the cracks of light, lol. Its just too thin to keep out light, but i figured with the caulk already it would be fine.

I will most likey just use the foil tape, it just a tad expensive so i was going to see if anyone had a cheaper solution. Thanks for the input!

have you tried simply layering the tape?or taping foil over the cracks?

thick black/white poly, or stuff the cracks with insulation

2Dog said:
have you tried simply layering the tape?or taping foil over the cracks?
Regular tin foil- Brilliant!!! Its cheap as hell (recycled is omly $1 for 25sq ft). I cant beleive i didnt think of that lol.

Go to your local home store and buy a 3 dollar can of spray foam insulation.Spray a thin bead between anywhere you see light.In a matter of second the foam will expand filling your cracks and sealing out light.In half an hour it is dry .You can then trim any excess if you choose.The foil can rip or fall down the foam will never go anywhere.

If you line the room with Panda film this will take care of your light leaks and give you great reflection.

No, really.....they sell caulking that is black that you can run along baseboards or cracks in the wall (I use it)...

I don't know if the other stuff works that was suggested because I've only had to use "tar paper"..and that is it for any chance of light getting through..period....

Tarpaper isn't the most pliable to work with, but it'll git er dun:holysheep:

not gettin nasty on ya:D

I have had great success with caulk and Foil tape,
did you caulk both inside n out?
and there is always spackle or plaster

Best wishes
"P"

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you line the room with Panda film this will take care of your light leaks and give you great reflection.

:yeahthat:

Yup... solid wisdom from The Hemp Goddess...

I always like to put a double layer of panda poly over the floor of my grow room too. If you cut it an extra foot wide and long for your room you can run it up the wall from the floor and tape it down and it will seal out any light issues along the floor line and give you some added spill protection. It really brightens up the room. It's probably not a concern in your garage but back in my hydro growing days in a spare bedroom it saved the floors from getting ruined more than once...;) It would hold water like a swimming pool liner even with HUGE mishaps in the grow room... "Dude... hit that joint and pass it back... you did shut off the garden hose right?" "DUDE!" :eek: "Water is going everywhere... get the WetVac!" :rolleyes:

It's probably also a good idea to get some of the suggested spray foam insulation to fill and expand any remaining cracks around the walls and floor as well...

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back