If a hermie pollinates a female are the seeds any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good question and also opened the floor to much debate. I have worked with a very stable strain, no issues whatsoever of hermi characteristics, but yet they still dropped a couple balls and gave me a couple seeds. I really believe that it is natural for marijuana to hermaphrodite.

Runbyhemp said:
It is natural to hermaphrodite under "unnatural" circumstances.

Not necessarily. I have read alot of post's where plants dropped balls nearing the end of flowering to help continue the cycle.

hermies are detrimental to quality genetics. For decades,(possibly centuries,) breeders have avoided and selectively bred to get away from them. Only recently with the femminised craze, have hermies became a desirable trait.
Hermies procreate hermies.
If you allow high quality mj to go ferral, grow wild, with absolutely no intervention, selection from man, it will revert to hemp. Why?.. because the male genetics will be dominated by "early" flowering males and/or "hermaphrodite".
The respected and reputable breeders of today, that have brought us the highest quality mj ever in recorded history, know this and have selected for it.
It is also why those same reputable breeders, recommend selecting late flowering males for your x's. Mny believe that the secret to inproving the 'quality' of drug grade mj. lies in the recessive traits of the late flowering males.

Hick said:
It is also why those same reputable breeders, recommend selecting late flowering males for your x's. Mny believe that the secret to inproving the 'quality' of drug grade mj. lies in the recessive traits of the late flowering males.

I am not following you on this Hick.

godspeed.. read dj shorts article on caaloging and selection, from the breeding section on the resourc page. He can likely explain it much better than I.

Hick said:
IMO....no. They carry the hermie tendency..trait...genetics, and should be destroyed.

That said, dutch masters reverse will keep the plants from seeding again. If you are just after stash, you can continue to use the seeds, but you need to spray the plants in weeks, 1, 2 and 3 of flower cycle to kill the male flowers.:hubba:

hermies beget hermies, they are worthless to breed with.:cool:

Puffin Afatty said:
That said, dutch masters reverse will keep the plants from seeding again. If you are just after stash, you can continue to use the seeds, but you need to spray the plants in weeks, 1, 2 and 3 of flower cycle to kill the male flowers.:hubba:

hermies beget hermies, they are worthless to breed with.:cool:

well that is what u say but spray them with what?

MARY-JANE said:
well that is what u say
.."THAT" is what any concientious breeder, or seedmaker with a single clue of genetics say. Anyone interested in producing or furthering the quality of mj, will not, should not, has not used hermies as breeders. THEY ARE POISON to any breeding project.
Please, do just a li'l reading, research. You will find that the 'breeders' that have produced the "benchmark" strains that are considered the "best, most potent" mj of today, say the same thing. The most potent pot in recorded history is being produced today, becuase of carefull selective breeding. Selecting only the "best" to be pollinated by only the "best".
Hermaphrodism has NEVER been considered a desirable characteristic.
but spray them with what?
"dutch masters reverse "....

our last grow we had just 1 seed out of a supossed bag of sweetTooth that we grew out and it grew super fast,superlush,superdank,short,squat,showed sex second day of 12/12 and was one of the greatest plants we have stuck in our garden up to the point on which it turned hermie at around the 6 or 7th week of 12/12 producing pollen and we let it pollinate itself an a few Jwakefords we had in the same room.. we shed alot of pollen around but the pollen only produced just a few seeds on all that were pollinated> all in all the seeds from this sweettooth turning hermie gave out all female pollen and seeds & all self pollinating themselves at around the 6th week of flower..and only about 10 seeds per plant. :eek:

Dankerz said:
our last grow we had just 1 seed out of a supossed bag of sweetTooth that we grew out and it grew super fast,superlush,superdank,short,squat,showed sex second day of 12/12 and was one of the greatest plants we have stuck in our garden up to the point on which it turned hermie at around the 6 or 7th week of 12/12 producing pollen and we let it pollinate itself an a few Jwakefords we had in the same room.. we shed alot of pollen around but the pollen only produced just a few seeds on all that were pollinated> all in all the seeds from this sweettooth turning hermie gave out all female pollen and seeds & all self pollinating themselves at around the 6th week of flower..and only about 10 seeds per plant. :eek:
It matters little if there were 1 seed or ten thousand seeds. They ARE embellished with the hermie gene, characteristic, trait.....and will only further the propensity of ALL offspring to hermie.
These are xctly the type of scenarios that "I" believe has brought about the much higher ratio of hermaphrodite plants in todays grows.
Unsuspecting or uninformed growers"assuming" that seeds are seeds, and because they were found in 'decent' bag of weed, or came off of a plant that was good smoke, that they are "good" seeds.
Never considering the poison genetics involved.

If you own a Show quality, "Grand Champion" Labrador retriever, do you allow it to be bred to the alley running, biscuit stealing, egg sucking, one nutted, mongrel that runs the neighborhood ?..
Or do you "selectively" search out another truely fine Labrador specimen, with desirable characteristics to breed to?

I think that premo strains ike WW or whatever should only be bred with another premo strain.

hick i have thought that myself for many years now..this is the reason even true top notch strains go hermie because they just didnt breed them the right way they didnt seek out that true specimen it should have been.
..this swttooth was and still is topnotch even with the 1-2 hermie pods that come out..who would not want a strain that kicks out very fem female beans each time. i also think on the other hand a good plant is where you find it and when you do you will know it!

Hick said:
It matters little if there were 1 seed or ten thousand seeds. They ARE embellished with the hermie gene, characteristic, trait.....and will only further the propensity of ALL offspring to hermie.

Just felt the need to quote this.
Once hermie trait is in...I seen peeps swear they got it out. :rolleyes:
Once its there...In my experience its done and over...chasing a dream trying to back cross it out. Just get good established strains from reputable peeps...oh and BTW just cuz these money grubbing seed banks say its "true breeding" don't trust until you test yourself...just my 2 cents.
I am not saying all of the breeder packs are bad...but I would test em out...never know..seen some breeders issuing warnings on mjp b4 human=possible error.

Just get good seeds from a reputable seedbank and dont grow hermi seeds! Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe. Great thread, by the way. Lots of great information.

so can this traits become extinct or can a grower actually grrow a set of plants back to good strains? :aok:

Latest posts

Back