If a hermie pollinates a female are the seeds any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the only hermie out of the dozen plants. As you can see, it has very little male parts. See the little yellow things? There is also some seed developement but not a lot. The buds are hard and dense, the smell is sweet and I'm sure the smoke will be great. The trics are some clear some cloudy and maybe 2% amber.
I flushed with a hose for half an hour yesterday and today it is put in darkness for a day and a half or two before I cut it down to dry. The other female plants (where the seeds were from a female polinated by a stress induced hermie) are kicking *** and will be done right on time on June 14th. The hermie should be dry and three weeks of curing time by July 4th, the "deadline". So, we'll have fresh medicine for the holiday.
Any seed from this plant will be destroyed.
This grow proved to me that you can get a decent grow from feminized seeds. One dozen seeds, eleven females, and the one hermie.
Next grow I'll be into commercial genetics with Neville's Haze and AK-47.

So, here's the star of the post. Notice the little yellow male parts (sorry for the quality of the pics). There is only one male flower in the second photo.

100_2496s.JPG

100_2498s.JPG

Timmyjg6 said:
:yeahthat:

Howdy Timmy!!!:D

Hermie seeds will produce only hermies, forever. It is possible to eliminate the stress and a plant wont show male characteristics, but it is still a hermie. :cool:

Only stable XX seeds from an XX Mom, are suitable for breeding, unless you like hermies. You can eliminate the male flowers with DUTCH MASTERS REVERSE, getting a normal harvest of sensi, but the plant is still a hermie.;)

I deliberately induce stress to weed out the hermies when I find a strain I like, if I cant get it to hermie with light manipulation, temperature manipulation or nute manipulation, I figger She is worthy of a spot in my pantry.:hubba:

the stress I put my SnowWhite thru is enuf to kill most plants and no sign of male flowers.:)

well i`m not an expert by any streatch of the imagination but the way i see it is this... hermies are a natural phenominon. or they used to be. now with all the seed bank capitalistic dogs manipulateing the seeds to be (feminized) for the sake of a quick buck is causing what used to be an oddity to be common place. i been growing off an on since the early 70`s and till this past year i never seen one. how ever till this last year i didnt do indoor grows either. maybe the intinsity of the mh light @24/7 has some effect on it too. i dont know. the point i`m trying to make is nature has allowed hermies prolly from the beginning of time so i cant say it is all bad. i do however think that purposly creating hermies via chemicals is totally wrong. boycot all them feminized seeds. watch yer crops an pull the males and we`ll all be better off. wow started out as 2 cents an turned into a quarter sorry

thief said:
well i`m not an expert by any streatch of the imagination but the way i see it is this... hermies are a natural phenominon. or they used to be. now with all the seed bank capitalistic dogs manipulateing the seeds to be (feminized) for the sake of a quick buck is causing what used to be an oddity to be common place. i been growing off an on since the early 70`s and till this past year i never seen one. how ever till this last year i didnt do indoor grows either. maybe the intinsity of the mh light @24/7 has some effect on it too. i dont know. the point i`m trying to make is nature has allowed hermies prolly from the beginning of time so i cant say it is all bad. i do however think that purposly creating hermies via chemicals is totally wrong. boycot all them feminized seeds. watch yer crops an pull the males and we`ll all be better off. wow started out as 2 cents an turned into a quarter sorry
I agree. "hermis are a natural phenom'".. but not a "desirable" phenom'.. ;) They poison your sensi' with undesirable and potentialy harmfull(to the gene pool) seeds.
I don't know how many times I have typed this here, but once again..
"If drug quality mj is left to go feral, within a few generations it will revert to hemp. Why?.. becuse the paternal side of the gene pool will be dominated by hermies and/or earliest flowering males."
For decades, if not centuries, the true "breeders" that have brought us the high thc, quality pot of today, have concienciously bred "away" from the hermie tendency. Most feel/believe that the secret to improving thc production and higher quality herb, lies in the 'recessive' traits of late flowering males. (it's been working) ;)
Hermies have always been around, but have also been "selectively" culled, up untill the recent "femminisation" craze. "I" believe that THAT is at least, patially to blame for the recent influx of more hermies.. just "M.O."

interesting note on the 24/0 mh issue, too thiefe. food for thought

i agree...i recently was interested in learning more about feminized seeds and trying to grow some but should have listened to the people on here telling me no...so far i have about half fem and half reg seeds all ordered off a reputable site and the reg seeds are doing so much better, not to mention they cost about 1/10th of the price of fem seeds...imo its better to just take clones to assure females, and stay away from the fem seeds...breeders need to take notice and not be greedy in looking to make that extra $...stay away from hermies and fem seeds!:bong2:

I believe we shouldn't be too harsh on hermaphrodite plants, you may be desperate with no access to seeds, and only one hermaphrodite plants so in order to keep breeding you can let hermaphrodite live and select the male plants and females plants from its seeds, females will carry on the hermaphrodite genetics recessively and these traits may surface any time in future though you can still use them if you are desperate enough...

Desperate times requires desperate measures.

Cornellius said:
I believe we shouldn't be too harsh on hermaphrodite plants, you may be desperate with no access to seeds, and only one hermaphrodite plants so in order to keep breeding you can let hermaphrodite live and select the male plants and females plants from its seeds, females will carry on the hermaphrodite genetics recessively and these traits may surface any time in future though you can still use them if you are desperate enough...

Desperate times requires desperate measures.

Sorry, I just can't go with that. It just simply contaminates the genetics. You can get quality seeds from a reputable seed bank for $35. If you can't spring for that, maybe you should find another "hobby".

You are not going to get male plants from hermie seeds. And the hermaphrodite gene is not necessarily recessive.

You are not going to get male plants from hermie seeds. And the hermaphrodite gene is not necessarily recessive.
...AND, the more it is done, (breeding with hermies), the more predominant it will become.

exactly... it is a DEFECT within the genetics, and HAS to be removed from the gene pool if it is going to be eliminated... not carried on....

The Hemp Goddess said:
Sorry, I just can't go with that. It just simply contaminates the genetics. You can get quality seeds from a reputable seed bank for $35. If you can't spring for that, maybe you should find another "hobby".

Please do not misunderstood me, there are some peoples out there, desperate enough to cling to 2 years old bag seeds and hoping that they will sprout, there are people where seed banks are inaccessible and there are people whom can not reach proper equipment though they have a fondness for cannabis plant.

If a seed bank is accessible, you can easily spend 100$ on seeds, because without good genetics, your system is limited and crippled but if not accessible, no seeds can be found, one crippled genetic is valued as gold in weight.

Hermaphrodite genes are not necessarily to be recessive and they are not necessarily to be dominant and in both cases there is a chance to see a plant showing single sex at F3.

Cornellius said:
Please do not misunderstood me, there are some peoples out there, desperate enough to cling to 2 years old bag seeds and hoping that they will sprout, there are people where seed banks are inaccessible and there are people whom can not reach proper equipment though they have a fondness for cannabis plant.

If a seed bank is accessible, you can easily spend 100$ on seeds, because without good genetics, your system is limited and crippled but if not accessible, no seeds can be found, one crippled genetic is valued as gold in weight.

Hermaphrodite genes are not necessarily to be recessive and they are not necessarily to be dominant and in both cases there is a chance to see a plant showing single sex at F3.

Maybe so, but none of that makes it right. They should not be encouraged. "Peoples" out there need to know that it is not okay to plant hermie seeds...I don't care if that is all they have access to (yeah, and I wanted to race in the Indy 500, but all I have is a 91 Acura). Actually, virtually everyone in the world can get seeds shipped to them. While I understand that you can easily spend $100+, you can also get some good beans for a decent price. For instance, Mandala Seeds have several strains that are 10 for $25.00 + $7-10 shipping. So, I will say this again--If you cannot spend $35 on good seeds, maybe you should find another "hobby".

The Hemp Goddess said:
Maybe so, but none of that makes it right. They should not be encouraged. "Peoples" out there need to know that it is not okay to plant hermie seeds...I don't care if that is all they have access to (yeah, and I wanted to race in the Indy 500, but all I have is a 91 Acura). Actually, virtually everyone in the world can get seeds shipped to them. While I understand that you can easily spend $100+, you can also get some good beans for a decent price. For instance, Mandala Seeds have several strains that are 10 for $25.00 + $7-10 shipping. So, I will say this again--If you cannot spend $35 on good seeds, maybe you should find another "hobby".

I hope you will never fall into this kind of desperate situation. Problem is not money, problem is customs offices. In anycase in a desperate situation, given time and efford, a hermie can beat up the best skunk over there. I don't know if you did but I take bioistatistics as a lesson, it is possible to isolate best genes from worst hermie. As soon as I make two seperate cabinets.

Cornellius said:
I hope you will never fall into this kind of desperate situation. Problem is not money, problem is customs offices. In anycase in a desperate situation, given time and efford, a hermie can beat up the best skunk over there. I don't know if you did but I take bioistatistics as a lesson, it is possible to isolate best genes from worst hermie. As soon as I make two seperate cabinets.

"I" can't agree.... IMHO...You will/would need "at least" one of true gender, either a male or a female,.. "at minimum".. in order to isolate and attempt to 'eliminate' the hermie gene. ..
"Theoretically" you could breed it down to a very minimal propensity, but it will always lie in the recessive qualities.

Corne'.. I don't know your situation. So I will refrain from any harsh judgements ;). If that is absolutely the only seed that you have available to work with, I wish you the very best of luck. I promise you, you have a very long and taxing project before you...

Cornellius said:

LOL--Trust me, I have been in desperate circumstances...

Whether the hermie trait can be bred out is debatable, however that is not really what this thread is about. This is inexperienced growers wondering if it is okay to plant hermie seeds. The short answer is a resounding, No".

Latest posts

Back