itchy myth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamstein

Reaction score
anyone heard the myth that police helicopters all have IR cameras and go looking for grow rooms?

i know its feasible in terms of energy, if your attic is at 80F in winter then obviously youre doing something in there, but is that evidence enough for them to come knocking at the door?

i know it sounds like paranoid nonsense but has anyone heard of it before?

It's not uncommon for an attic to have a hot spot (bad design or insufficient insulation). I would however watch out for several 1K lamps and a bunch of stuff. but a small op with 1K set-up or under and it won't even send a flag up IMHO.
Another way to cover up an attic grow is to frame out and insulate the grow area and vent out of either the soffit vents or gable end vent. It is not uncommon for those to have heat coming out. You would want to do this anyway as attic grows are tough to control temps.
hope I helped a lil.

its nice to know i dont have a big "i smoke weed" flag flying high when i hear the helicopter about :)

haha naw i herd they do that in california alot cuz peeps out there grow pounds and pounds and pounds of it but nething lower then 2 1k hps's wond do nothin

There was a post here a while ago that said that in Florida and other states it was ILLEGAL for the chopper to use IR on residential areas, like a warrant type of thing... Now i see why it would be different in California..
But honestly if choppers where to go araound looking for hotspots to bust people, they would be so many arrests, that im sure someone here would know about it..

Firepower said:
But honestly if choppers where to go araound looking for hotspots to bust people, they would be so many arrests, that im sure someone here would know about it..
and a lot of lawsuits for busting into innocents houses because there attic or something is not adequatly insulated. many things will cause a hot spot...unless it's like a 4k grow or something :p but 1k- nothing to worry about IMO

killersmoke said:
haha naw i herd they do that in california alot cuz peeps out there grow pounds and pounds and pounds of it but nething lower then 2 1k hps's wond do nothin

I have never heard of that here, honestly we have bigger problems than people growing pot.. I have, however heard of visual aerial searches.. I was told that a helicopter spotted a grow in the backyard of someones house, and sent car patrol.. The police were greeted with medical marijuana papers, and they walked away without a problem.. As far as the IR scans, what would their reasoning be? Have you heard of busts in your area because of that?

I didn't think that was legal in this country as a whole... right to privacy. However, in the UK, that is a major fear for growers as the LEOs can use that as freely as they wish.

I was thinking about using (2) 1K lights if i do a bedroom grow. Is something that pertains to the bedroom, or just the attic?

attic dude...the house "should" be well insulated...in the attic tho there is no barrier between the grow and the roof. unless you make the attic grow area a seperate insulated room (which should be done anyway due to seasonal temp fluctuations)

Mutt said:
attic dude...the house "should" be well insulated...in the attic tho there is no barrier between the grow and the roof. unless you make the attic grow area a seperate insulated room (which should be done anyway due to seasonal temp fluctuations)
Ok, thats what I thought. Can never be too safe though.

Probable cause has flaus like dirty draws!......Just had to say that.
IR can see extreme hot spots in the house. Mainly against walls becouse your average Joe is going to do thier grow in a closet. Even with insulation that makes it more dangerous because it will hold the heat in. This how ever is used to bust large grows, not 1-4 plants or the such that I have heard of yet at least.:cool:

clever_intuition said:
Probable cause has flaus like dirty draws!......Just had to say that.
IR can see extreme hot spots in the house. Mainly against walls becouse your average Joe is going to do thier grow in a closet. Even with insulation that makes it more dangerous because it will hold the heat in. This how ever is used to bust large grows, not 1-4 plants or the such that I have heard of yet at least.:cool:
Can you say what country you are in? Looiing at the the beer in your avi I can draw my own conclusions, but you never know.

Type_S150 said:
Can you say what country you are in? Looiing at the the beer in your avi I can draw my own conclusions, but you never know.

Michigan, United States of America.

Latest posts

Back