It's a girl...and a boy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourmet

Reaction score
Pics below. One still looks female, the rest look like this... these are herme's, right?

Oh well, wash down the cabinet and start from scratch with second round of bag seed. Not spending money on seed till I get it right.

I guess it is true, what doesn't kill her makes her stronger.

Hermie1.JPG

Hermie2.JPG

Hermie3.JPG

Hermie4.JPG

yes hermie... I do suggest trying to buy some cheap seeds like nirvana or KC brains... with bagseed you have to pick through males and hermie to maybe find a female...

HI,

Yup... it's a she-male. Sorry about the bad luck. But 'it' sure looks like a healthy plant. I'm definitely pro bagseed for growers to get their germinating and seedling chops together but if you have a grasp on that I think you're ready for some good genetics by the looks of things. You should consider stepping up if you can afford it. You can get some quality seeds for $50 or less that will be much more stable for you. Many of the companies like Attitude give freebies and you could end up with a few new strains in your garden to grow.

Peace!:cool:

Thank you both for the info and guidance. I know I haven't asked a lot of questions throughout this grow and just got my camera for taking pics, but I have been watching and listening and learning from all of you.

I made so many errors that I think I can id almost all of the nutrient deficiencies micro and macro (lol). I also have horrid water that is buffered so even after adding ph down to bring it down from 8.2, a test sample shows it goes back up from 6.3 to 8.2 within 24 hours.

Good news is I finally found a place that sells Fox Farm growing medium and hubby (who is retired) is picking up for me. He can't smoke anymore, he's just a doll.

I figured I would order seeds from Nirvana and World Wide (have the strains picked out already) before Christmas when customs and the post office are overwhelmed.

Thanks again!

Try collecting some rainwater if you can gourmet.
What I do. It has a ph under 7. Usually around 6.5 for country areas. More acidity for city or high pollution area.

Probably nothing you did to turn them herm. Knowing bagseed. It probably had generation after generation of herm pollution.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Try collecting some rainwater if you can gourmet.
What I do. It has a ph under 7. Usually around 6.5 for country areas. More acidity for city or high pollution area.

Probably nothing you did to turn them herm. Knowing bagseed. It probably had generation after generation of herm pollution.

:yeahthat:

Using bagseed could be the reason that you are getting hermies. With that many hermies, you can almost bet that you have hermie seeds. After doing all that work it is horrible to have to cut them down. Seeds are cheap. I would encourage you to get some good genetics now. There are actually very very few seeds that get confiscated by customs.

my last run was almost all hermie . granted most shoed in late flower but some did it erly o too an i got seeds in everythin LOL.
i got my one bonzai mom that was never hermie and froma known grower via a friend
and two others im mommin up are from bagseed also but have flowered em once an revegged an no herm on them so...
but thats wat, 3 outta how dang many i greew total that never hermed ... :hairpull:
but i got the 3 moms taht not herm to ride me for lil while yet.
but DOS an i was talkin via pm one day and hes convinced me im a say heck wit rworryin bout the security behind it all etc an just order some good genetice myself next extra cash i have for sure.
but hey if ya'll a beginner i think its a good way to get practice to determine if you really wanna continue growin or not before ya spend money all over place for things etc.
but if ya have a love for teh mary jane then you'll be hooked in no time :hubba:

Gourmet-
It is indeed unfortunate that the plants went hermi on you. That being said, the plants look quite healthy and well cared for, so it may have had nothing to do with your skills but rather that the trait was there and they would have hermied regardless.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! :cool2: :cool2:

Thank you all. I am getting some buckets for collecting rainwater as you suggest Spearchucker, and have decided to go ahead and order some seeds from Nirvana. After agonizing on how to whittle down my choices, I have decided on Full Moon, Papaya and Eldorado. Full moon for its trippy visual effect, Papaya for its calming narcotic like high and Eldorado because back in the 60's and 70's we used to get weed from Oaxaca Mexico we remember to this day. I had a hard time removing Aurora from the sort and Haze for the rush, but I can only grow 5 or less at a time anyway. Not going with feminized either.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Never dawned on me that it could have been the seeds themselves!

You want alot of rain water. If you have a big tarp. Set it up and let it collect. Will get gallons off a small shower.
I just sagged the one on my boat in the middle. Just scoop out bucket full easy.
What I was doing was taking like Rubbermaid trashcan lids and setting them outside upside down. They are like 2 feet across so gather pretty good. Couple of those and I can get around a couple gallons it seems with less than a inch of rain.
I dont collect from the gutters though. I dont know about that water, count all the bird **** from flyovers, and that tar/sand and anything else used in shingles. Might be perfectly fine. I dont know, not to worried about it since I have methods just as easy to get all I need. Especially since it rains so much here.

Appears the last two are female and so far no signs of terming hermie. Using my cheap jewelers headband I can see clear trichs on them also. Here ae the photos. One is pretty bad looking. The other looks fair to middling...

seefemale.JPG

seefemale2.JPG

One of the females is poor looking the other fair. The robust ones of course were hermies. Here are the two females and shots of the buds. I use a cheap set of jewelers glasses that are on a headband to check the trichs and they work great...no need to zoom in or focus them and you can see the trichs even while the plant is swaying in the wind.

buds2.JPG

buds3.JPG

Fullfemale.JPG

smallfemale.JPG

I am impressed with Tiger Bloom by FF. I was using Big Bloom but
Tiger Bloom really seemed to boost the plants. Pics below.

3 weeks flower2.JPG

3 wks flower1.JPG

3 weeks flower4.JPG

3 weeks flower5.JPG

3 weeks flower6.JPG

3 weeks flower7.JPG

Seems like every couple of days I can see the difference in the plants now. No sign of nanners so still female (lol).

No seeds forming either that I can see.

Latest pics..

Picked up a pocket microscope from Radio Shack. Not great but it will do. Although outside of buds look amber, appears this is just from the "hairs" so they have some time yet.

InFlower.JPG

Inflower2.JPG

Inflower3.JPG

man i fn hat hermis.. ive had bad luck with hermis from dp and bagseed.. good luck not getting seeds :)

This is good thread for me. I've yet to grow. So, with bag seed yall are saying the hermie potential is far greater? If you do a bunch of seeds and you are successful at pulling the hermies when you spot them can you get the hermie trait out or is that useless? Do the same rules apply if you do get good females and you take a cutting?

Is this considered hijacking? If so, correct me and I will move the question.

I am interested in the answer to some of those questions also Texas. Is it dominant or recessive and what happens to the cuttings.

I think though, that I would rather start working with good seed as suggested earlier as for me, this bagseed is okay but not great. I would rather work with good seeds and known genetics. The bagseed grow was perfect for learning and for tweaking my equipment, water, nutrients, soil and growing cabinet.

TexasMonster said:
This is good thread for me. I've yet to grow. So, with bag seed yall are saying the hermie potential is far greater? If you do a bunch of seeds and you are successful at pulling the hermies when you spot them can you get the hermie trait out or is that useless? Do the same rules apply if you do get good females and you take a cutting?

Is this considered hijacking? If so, correct me and I will move the question.
bagseed tend to have a higher rate of hermies "because" they are usually fathered by an undetected staminate flower, an accidental pollination by a hermie. Predominately, eveyone grows seedless/sensimillia bud. When an occasional seed is found in a bag of 'otherwise' seedless pot, you can almost bet, that it was fathered by a hermie male flower.
Cuttings are "identical genetic replicas" of the plant it was taken from. "IF" that plant has a tendency to hermi, so will the cuttings. There are different ?? "degrees" of heraphrodism. By that I mean, some are more dominate, or easliy provoked into turning. Some can/will show with very little stress, even under near ideal conditions. Others may require more stress to make them exhibit.
The hermie trait is VERY difficult to eliminate, breed out, once instilled.

Latest posts

Back