Just to talk... poor vs rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Hammy, as long as it is Peace Time.
Joining the Service in these days and times can cost you your life or limbs. And if you live,, your mind may be totaly screwed by the time you get back home. So doing a stint in the Service to get a kick start in life,,might not be a good idea today.
The Service did help me grow up,,but when I went in at 17(Parent Signed) Vietnam was being drawn down and the guys were coming home. My Cousin did three tours,,he came by and visited me in Basic traning on his way home. He on the other hand was a mess.

Its had its ups and its downs and I rode them both. Good and bad be had and in the end thats what I got out it good and bad not sure what ones winnin time to time. Peace to your firesides pilgrems

BWD

WeedHopper said:
Done got to deep for me. I bet ya been smoken some good shet Bro?:D
No bro, i know it seems i've smoked manna but the truth is that i was sober:D …just a bit in hangover maybe^^' Now it's different:hubba: …but i'm going to try to participate:stoned:

Rosebud said:
Pistil, your english is great. I am impressed.

Can you define poor? We always had wonderful home grown beef and food from the garden that was canned fresh...We had classical music played live daily. I had an awesome bug collection...and I never felt like a poor person as I knew poor people and we weren't that. But, we had to be low income, but so was everyone else when i was growing up. I think a lot goes into whether a person is mature, like family dynamic's etc.
Rosebud, you're really the nobel prize for the kindness! flower.png I can find many errors by my own in what i use to write but thanks! I appreciate the dishonesty!:D The definition of poor would probably have to be indeed globally. One could feel poor even if his neighbor have a youngest, innocent looking, wife dedicated to sunbathing on their beautiful terrace in front of your window (i can just vaguely imagine) but a good example of poor occidental persons could be a family that has just the money for few cheap food, a very small flat, a single old car (or neither one) and, most of all, has to pray that nothing bad happens because they wouldn't have the savings to face neither a small emergency as a disease. But poors of the third world would slap me if they could hear me now, so i think i'm obliged to make at least this distinction in all my generalizing.

THG, agree 100%! …that satori must really rock!:D Just kidding:eek::peace: I felt in love for these two phrases:
The Hemp Goddess said:
Maturity to me would be to realize the morally* correct path and follow it, regardless of society norms.
The Hemp Goddess said:
maturity in general is, in a nutshell, being able let your head overrule your emotions...
Sorry if i have isolated them from the rest of the context but these points are so perfectly summarized and convincing that i've surely added them to my opinions about these things… and i love when this happens!

Hamster Lewis said:
I really believe most people could benefit from a small stint in the Military. I know of quite a few people including my brother who would of probably wound up dead or in jail if they had not joined the service and had a sense of responsibility instilled in them. I know it helped me greatly going into the Air Force at the age of 17 right out of High School. At the time I didn't get why little mundane things carried such importance in Boot Camp. Looking back I see now what I could not see then. Jmo
I'm with you on this thing. Since the mandatory army service has been removed, here the difference is pretty visible and young people is appearing way less strong, equilibrated and serene, that are the qualities that i think we was gaining when the army service was compulsory. Strong discipline could be even questionable but it help a lot all the guys that get a bit lost and the sons of daddy as well. And all remain with a good remember of the discipline received. But yes, only in peace time this is the result.

Thanks Pistil.

I have also always thought that everyone should work in some service related industry for at least a little while. I see wait people, grocery checkers, maids and janitors, etc treated horribly sometimes be those who think they are "above" them in station. I think if everyone did a stint in service to others they would be a little nicer to those that work these industries.

The main problem I see with the rich is that they do not live in the real world and therefore really have no idea of the struggles that most people have to go through to live and survive. I recently heard someone tell a family man with kids that can't find a job to "just move somewhere else where there is work". This person has no idea of the costs and problems associated with just up and moving--it takes savings, money, and planning. And I find that people like this that have no idea of the struggles of the common man tend to lack empathy and sympathy for those that are struggling to survive. And I am going to have to stop here or I am going to get into the forbidden area of politics.......

This has been an interesting read and many good points have been made but IMO it can be best summed up with a popular quote, "Life is what you make it." That's especially true for those with limited means, if you don't have anything you're not going to get far by being an ***.

Yur cat looks like a very poor cat. Ya mights wants to feedem.:D

Maturity equates better with experience and education than anything else. Money does dictate a different spectrum of experience and education, but we all experience and learn and mature as we grow. Children are immature because of a lack of both experience and education, and some adults are immature for basically the same reason. The Goddess is correct that the barometer for assessing maturity is how a person makes decisions, how they over-ride the norms of society and use their experience and education to come to their own conclusions, but I don't think having money, or not, has a lot to do with character or maturity. There are ignorant, immature people through out the whole monetary spectrum of humanity. What I despise about a lot of wealthy people is that they somehow conclude that their money makes them better than those less fortunate. They are immature and lack character. Poor people do the same thing though. The alcoholic looks down his nose at the tweekers, who look down their noses at the crack heads, who look down on those living under the bushes, who look down on the child molesters. I observed it first hand in the RV park from Hell this last summer, and it was quite the education. It made me realize that the same things happen at every spectrum of the human palate, and it really doesn't have a lot to do with money. It is human nature, I suppose. JMHO

Peace

Some of the poorest people I know are the happiest when the right mindset is applied and appreciation for what they have is enough.

Some of the richest people I know are the most moraly bankrupt, selfish, always wanting more and unhappiest people I know.

Though they are both interchangeable. like said higher up, wealth is not the barometer.

Just more food for thought.

Mental Maturity is a term used to evaluate the progress of any individuals transition from childhood into adulthood, and is in no way affected by wealth or the lack of it. Also, the type of person you become, weather it be good, bad, or indifferant, does not matter in the evaluation of Mental Maturity as well as the lessons you learn growing up. Mental Maturity has nothing to do with Ethics, Morality, Civility, Age, Sex, or intellagence, but all of them affect the rate of transition, but it is differant for everyone making that transition. Mental Maturity is simply the human way of determining weather someone is an Adult, or a Child. After you become an Adult, it is no longer a question of Mental Maturity, but of Wisdom.

Latest posts

Back