Laguna Water Prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not 2 sure, but it says "Water Prep’s coating agents bond to fish skin and scales where natural coating has been breached, offering time for the natural production of the protective slime coat."

So this coating might be on the plants roots and such. It mentions what it does for the fish but not any details for the plant, idk if plants need a protective coating like fish. Perhaps it refers to underwater plants. They grow differently from above the ground plants. I was looking into aquariums recently. You should ask the maker of the product first, see if there's number or e mail on the bottle. Tell him it's for general flowering plants above ground just in case they ask what are you growing exactly.

P.S.
What's a good flowering plant to mention to throw someone off, anyone got any ideas?

There are several ways to effectively dissipate chlorine out of tap water. I'm not sure where you are going with this thread so let's discuss municipal tap water quality in general. The Environmental Protection Agency sets federal drinking water standards. States must meet or exceed those standards. Municipalities that pump ground water from wells usually only use free chlorine; i.e. water that has been treated with chlorine to oxidize all contaminants including ammonia. The chlorine residual is usually dosed at .5 (1/2 part per millions parts) ppm up to 1 part per million parts (ppm). Free chlorine is dosed at this rate to oxidize or eliminate bacterias and viruses that may enter the potable water distribution system. Free chlorine at that dosage rate will dissipate rapidly when water is drawn and left to atmosphere say in a 5 gallon bucket for 24 hours.

Chloramines are defined as water that has been treated with chlorine but bind with ammonia (mono chlorides, dichlorides and trichlorides). In some water treatment plants, water is treated to the free chlorine state (break point) where all ammonia has been oxized, then a small amount of ammonia is added back into the water to achieve chloramination. Chloramines are a weaker disinfectant but will stay in the distribution system longer without dissipating. Thus, chloramine residual dosage is typically 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm. Chloramines will kill pet fish and must be filtered out of tap water when used for aquariums or fish ponds.

Chemicals used to dechlorinate tap water include sodium thiosulfate and vitamin C. Sodium thiosulfate is very toxic and should be used in very small doses to dissipate chlorine residuals in water.

Obviously, there are literally thousands of textbook pages that would cover water treatment in detail. The intent of this post was to extract a small amount of that information to answer your question/concern about removing chlorine from your water. I'm curious to know more about why you want to remove the chlorine with a chemical product with respect to cannabis cultivation.

Best,
Mr.Greengenes

mr.greengenes said:
There are several ways to effectively dissipate chlorine out of tap water. I'm not sure where you are going with this thread so let's discuss municipal tap water quality in general. The Environmental Protection Agency sets federal drinking water standards. States must meet or exceed those standards. Municipalities that pump ground water from wells usually only use free chlorine; i.e. water that has been treated with chlorine to oxidize all contaminants including ammonia. The chlorine residual is usually dosed at .5 (1/2 part per millions parts) ppm up to 1 part per million parts (ppm). Free chlorine is dosed at this rate to oxidize or eliminate bacterias and viruses that may enter the potable water distribution system. Free chlorine at that dosage rate will dissipate rapidly when water is drawn and left to atmosphere say in a 5 gallon bucket for 24 hours.

Chloramines are defined as water that has been treated with chlorine but bind with ammonia (mono chlorides, dichlorides and trichlorides). In some water treatment plants, water is treated to the free chlorine state (break point) where all ammonia has been oxized, then a small amount of ammonia is added back into the water to achieve chloramination. Chloramines are a weaker disinfectant but will stay in the distribution system longer without dissipating. Thus, chloramine residual dosage is typically 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm. Chloramines will kill pet fish and must be filtered out of tap water when used for aquariums or fish ponds.

Chemicals used to dechlorinate tap water include sodium thiosulfate and vitamin C. Sodium thiosulfate is very toxic and should be used in very small doses to dissipate chlorine residuals in water.

Obviously, there are literally thousands of textbook pages that would cover water treatment in detail. The intent of this post was to extract a small amount of that information to answer your question/concern about removing chlorine from your water. I'm curious to know more about why you want to remove the chlorine with a chemical product with respect to cannabis cultivation.

Best,
Mr.Greengenes
well to be hnest i was more worried about the cloramines and it says to add 50 ml/1000L so for my 15L bucket i would only need .75mL its supposed to remove both chlorine and chrolamine on contact....i dont know i was just wondering since i have this product it might be benificial

Hey,
Sorry but I forgot to specify that these are U.S. water quality regulations. Many European countries don't chlorinate tap water. They rely on ozone to disinfect and do not treat the water with a residual disinfectant. I don't know, but if I were you I wouldn't use the product. If you are concerned about residual chlorine, you can buy reagents and test kits to measure the amount of chlorine in the water. Also, check with the local water utility and ask for a water quality report. Ask a knowledgable manager or operator to explain the report; where does the water come from, pH, hardness, TDS, disinfectant used, effects on vegetation (some waters have high levels of salt, boron, etc. that are harmful to plants). You can check that data with the local Farm Bureau to see what they think of the local water quality. In most cases, you may be satisfied with just drawing the water into 5 gallon buckets, give it a good stir and let it set out overnight. That should dissipate the chlorine.

p.s. I just looked at the MSDS on the product. It has the potential to radically adjust your pH basic of your water or soil. Stay away from this product. This is a very alkaline/basic oxidant that can burn your skin if you come in contact with it. Totally unnecessary in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back