light & ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refanator

Reaction score
using a metal halide light what wattage is best for one plant and what kind of ballast do i need :confused:

refanator said:
using a metal halide light what wattage is best for one plant and what kind of ballast do i need :confused:

The best wattage is one that covers your grow area with at least 5000 lumens per sq/ft.

You need a MH ballast that matches the bulb you decide to go with.

The biggest one you can afford, you can never have too much light.

I would at least get a 400 watter.

Mate just get a 600 watt ballast with a 6oo watt MID bulb.. Im not being funny but how can you ask what kind of ballast you need, it's a weak question you already know the answer to. It makes me laugh its for people for growig weed but some (not you) have not not got the first idea, you need to study, study, study before asking the most easiest question... Some have patients on this site i have not... good luck
CDMH.

sorry saying to get a 600 watt metal halide... I put MID for short.meant HID. I have sunmaster ballasts and they can use both HPS, Metal halide.. i have a sunmaster 600 watt HID bulb (hight blue spectrum) but they get alot hotter than the hps..
Have a look at my cheese cuttings on day 17 now vegging..
CDMH>

Hey buddy, these guys are just messing with you. You really need to research a lot before you go and do this. I haven't started yet and I have been researching for a REALLY long time. This will help you out a lot

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396
Click on the first link, the marijuana passion free grow guide. Give a read through those sections. I would pick up a book also from the library or go and buy one with cash at your local barnes and nobel or whatever. Look for this book http://www.amazon.com/dp/1878823299/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have the indoor outdoor bible. *its really good*

To answer your question... A 175 watt bulb will be plenty for you. Really what you do is keep the 175 watt within a foot of the plant at all times. Put it really close, put your hand on the top of the plant, if you burn your hand after 10 seconds the light is too close! :)

As far as where to get the metal halide from and which to buy, I'm in the dark. I've asked but I think the community wants me to do more research. In my book I believe it hints at 5500K or 5600K and up is great for vegatative growth, but don't quote me on that! If you want to do the whole stage from start to finish I would suggest getting two different bulbs, the metal halide for vegatative and then a 150 watt hps bulb. You need to make sure that your ballast can support both types of lights.

Also the Search function is REALLY useful. When you login to the forum you can see a blue bar near the top. It says user CP, Members List, Gallery, Resources, Arcade, New Posts, Search, etc. etc. Click the search then advanced search. You will see at the top left a box that says keyword in it and then a box to the right of that. The box on the right says user name. The box below the user name has a bunch of different parts of the forum in it. You can narrow down your search by typing in generic things like, metal halide and then click on the lights section. The lights section is somewhere in the list (Below the user name box) Then scroll down and hit search now. Then you can read through all the posts! At the bottom of the page you will see a next page arrow too! I advise you to just type in my username and hit search. I want to do a one grow setup and you might find some useful info in some of my posts.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back