Light Movers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOK3R

iSmoke
Reaction score
So I recently made a new space 5x10x10 all set up with auto AC/fan and moved some things into it. I want a light mover for it because of the shape. (5x10 ;) obviously) Anyone use a particular light mover, or are they all about the same?

Just wondering because trial and error is a B***, and expensive too. I probably have seen all possible light movers at this point, but want some actual experience with a brand or two. I've burned many ladies in my time and I want something that is reliable. Wattage and sound important for me too cause I don't like to waste. (note that this is all legal where I live)

I think 10' is too big for one light but I know that 10' of space really ='s 6-8' of actual grow space and I think 6' can work for a single light.

HI,

That sounds like a really nice sized space. Do you want to fill it up as much as possible? Do you already have a separate area for vegging as you could divide the space into two areas for vegging and flowering at the same time. What size light are you thinking of using and do you have some plans for ventilation? If you were considering a 1K hps for that space you would more than likely do better as far as coverage to get a couple of 400hps or 600hps with air cooled hoods to control temps. Light movers always sound interesting to me but I've never used one and I guess you don't use air cooled reflectors when you use light movers.

Happy Growing!:cool:

You cannot do 50 sq ft with a single light--even with a mover. I would recommend 2 600W with air cooled reflectors for that space, although even 2 600W is underlit for 50 sq ft.

I have used air cooled reflectors with a light mover, but it makes the ventilation a real pain.

Two Son T hps in a large adjusta shade with a jupiter light mover works really well in a space that size.

the achilles heel is normally the mover drive wheel if it is not rated to carry the weight; they are cheap and normally easy to replace.

Ya I was wondering about the light for the space... I guess I may not have explained my setup properly because there is not 50 sqft of actual grow area there. The fact that it is 10' x 5' actually translates to 6' x 3' of grow area. The space is actually a subspace so it also houses my AC unit/vent system. 18' is totally cool for one light, but I guess I should have explained the space better... sorry about that.

I dont currently use an air cooled hood. My lights come on at night and the temp hovers around 78 degrees while on. It gets hotter in there during the day, but thankfully my AC unit has an auto on/off so I programed that for 12:00 (noon) and it goes off at around 4:30 PM... I have to keep increasing the time on because of summer, but thats just life.... almost makes me want to take a break during these next few months. I know I will have to air cool as soon as summer gets rolling, but currently the heat from the light is working in my favor.

I have been looking at this: hxxp://www.lightrail3.com/garden/LR35.php

SMOK3R said:
Ya I was wondering about the light for the space... I guess I may not have explained my setup properly because there is not 50 sqft of actual grow area there. The fact that it is 10' x 5' actually translates to 6' x 3' of grow area. The space is actually a subspace so it also houses my AC unit/vent system. 18' is totally cool for one light, but I guess I should have explained the space better... sorry about that.

/LR35.php

Unless you have a space 6 x 3 that is boxed off with reflective material, you are, in effect, lighting 50 sq ft.--the light is being disbursed throughout the room and you are wasting huge amounts of it.

How affective are light movers really? It seems that if you have to move the light from one area to provide decent light to the next area, then the first area is now defficient optimum light. Would'nt it just be better to add an additional light? I have no experience with light movers, so hopefully some who has experience will chime in.

cubby said:
How affective are light movers really? It seems that if you have to move the light from one area to provide decent light to the next area, then the first area is now defficient optimum light. Would'nt it just be better to add an additional light? I have no experience with light movers, so hopefully some who has experience will chime in.

Yeah I don't get it either... Why in the world would you want to run around while carrying your pots trying to keep them under the light? Cardio? ;)

Ouch!:cool:

cubby said:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=488016&postcount=4

A light mover will deliver outstanding results for the same wattage output over a bigger area since it concentrates the most intense output of the bulb over the entire grow area in a short period of time.

The cycle from one end to the other is only a few minutes.

Of course THG is correct, but this can be mitigated in the same way you would with a fixed series of bulbs in the same area; Mylar or Panda Film

If you have the space, the cash and the inkling to tinker, they are good value.

Ya I view a light mover the way I view taking a piss in the grass... if you just stand there then only a couple blades are getting peed on, and they are sheading the piss off of the lower blades.... If it weren't piss I bet those blades would be mad!

Alternatively... if you walk backwards while peeing you can hit more blades, and also make sure the lower branches are reaping the :eek: (reward???)

*** please note that if you try this... it would be a bad idea to walk forward without first checking the wind and fixing your trajectory:hubba: ***

Whatever... I'm just looking for a green way to use all the light and energy I have. I've been looking for a light mover that is less than 6', but they are the same price as a 6' and they are few and far between.

I will buy a 6' and just max out the rpm on it. It's a win/win situation since the one I am looking at will allow me to add another light.

I'll post results when I get it installed.

Thanks for all the help everyone! This place rocks:holysheep:

Smoker, more often than not you can move the stop which the inbuilt micro switch operates with, in order to adjust the travel.

If there is no adjustment in it you could Macgyver something up.

so what is the verdict? dual 600 watters or a 1k on a rail?

Everyone I know that has light movers eventually quits using them because of--as mentioned--continuing ventilation issues.

I rotate clockwise and re-position counter-clockwise once a day so everyone gets the same light on all parts. I think I get better over-all coverage this way. But that's JMO.

PencilHead said:
Everyone I know that has light movers eventually quits using them because of--as mentioned--continuing ventilation issues.

I am gonna try a light mover during this fall's grow. This is my thinking but if people are having ventilation issues, could this be more of a matter of poor engineering of there ventilation system? Also I wonder if the growers with the issues are running there light movers vertically?

why not 3 600's? that seems like it would work good

pcduck said:
I am gonna try a light mover during this fall's grow. This is my thinking but if people are having ventilation issues, could this be more of a matter of poor engineering of there ventilation system? Also I wonder if the growers with the issues are running there light movers vertically?

That would be more to do with inadequate ventilation as opposed to a problem caused by the light mover.

Latest posts

Back