Lights and Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbob

Just another lover of MJ
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on the do's and don'ts of lighting setups. In particular, diy lighting with something like cfl's or $20 hps. Also, I'm no electrician but it doesn't seem like I could plug a 1000w HID light directly into the wall. I think this stuff should be addressed and stickied for newbs like myself. I'd hate to burn down my house on my first grow.

it is budbob..just need to look for it..heres my dont for lights..

Dont use anything other then chains to hang lights.

Dont use wrong bulb for Ballast.

Dont put light to close to plant..

Dont mess with it if dont understand it...IMO..

take care and be safe

budbob said:
I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on the do's and don'ts of lighting setups. In particular, diy lighting with something like cfl's or $20 hps. Also, I'm no electrician but it doesn't seem like I could plug a 1000w HID light directly into the wall. I think this stuff should be addressed and stickied for newbs like myself. I'd hate to burn down my house on my first grow.

First of all, if you are not comfortable working with electricity, don't do any DIY lighting projects.
Know the capacity of the electrical outlets (circuits really) you plan to use and do not overload them.

If your electrical circuit has enough amps, you can plug a 1000W ballast directly into the wall.

there is nothing wrong with plugging a 1000w mh/hps light in your wall socket.

a typical 110v wall socket is rated at 15 amps, some even 20 amps. you really dont want to excede 80% of the recommended amperage. A 1000w mh/hps uses right at about 9.09 amps (Wattage devided by voltage =amperage), now on that circuit, at a 15 amp rating that would leave you about another 3-4 amps roughly to play with before you risk tripping a breaker. I wouldnt excede 12, but thats me. I once hooked up both my 1000w mh/hps on the same 15 amp circuit and both lights ran fine for about 20 min, then the breaker tripped. So, that being said, i wouldnt worry about fire, just know what your doing by studying a little and researching.

P.S. a toaster or hair dryer uses about 1400 watts, your light is the least of your worries when it comes to burning your house down, be smart, be safe.

4u2sm0ke said:
it is budbob..just need to look for it..heres my dont for lights..

Dont use anything other then chains to hang lights.

Dont use wrong bulb for Ballast.

Dont put light to close to plant..

Dont mess with it if dont understand it...IMO..

take care and be safe

Chains are the cheapest method, couple 1 dollar wood hooks and some cheap chain, but you can use light yoyo's (plastic and nylon) or a light hanger (preferred) which has a metal base and a nylon/polypropeline line for hangers, thats what im using.

budbob said:
there are stickies directed at those lighting issues
have you looked?.. in the lighting section

JBonez said:
Chains are the cheapest method, couple 1 dollar wood hooks and some cheap chain, but you can use light yoyo's (plastic and nylon) or a light hanger (preferred) which has a metal base and a nylon/polypropeline line for hangers, thats what im using.

yes thats true..I see people trying to hold their Hoods with twine..and one said the Yarn was all he could find..its those ones that have their lights come crashing down..and possable fire..just my thaughts:)

Yeah, im a newb, but unless my crossbeams give out to 30lbs of weight i dont forsee my light falling on my plants, he he, but.... ya never know, crazier things have happened i suppose!

I use a thick rope, just a easy, a little cheaper, and not as strong.

Make sure the rope you use is used for holding stuff up! Mine is about a half centimeter thick and I loop it around twice for extra support.

Wow didn't think this thread would get so popular :p. I've read through the stickies and plenty of great info as always. It just seemed most of them dealt with terminology and efficiency of lighting. Safety is there, just not as much. I had no idea toasters used 1400w :eek:. I'd imagine this sort of energy usage to be present in many of my various household items, no wonder my electric bill sucks. And I'm not a wasteful user, or even a grower yet. Look out second job at McDonalds.

I was concerned about overloading the breakers or something, I remember having read something about it. Also, I was peeling through some old threads and read a post where someone set up everything right but still burned down their grow area :holysheep:. Thats what started this all I guess. But, common sense and a little research has triumphed once again. Thanks everyone. I try not to post redundant questions as sometimes happens here. Maybe I'll take it an extra step next time. Happy growing!

No probs brotha, thats what we are here for! id be more than happy to answer your questions

DomsChron said:
I use a thick rope, just a easy, a little cheaper, and not as strong.

Make sure the rope you use is used for holding stuff up! Mine is about a half centimeter thick and I loop it around twice for extra support.

you would be supprised at the amount of weight a piece of rope can hold. sometimes more than chain;)

1/2 nylon 3 strand could lift a car

rope is my territory, i can tell you pretty much anything you would want to know about it.

fiber line is weakest
nylon, polypropeline next weakest
then kevlar.

there is a type of rope called blue ice. stuff is unbreakable darn near.

IMO...chain is easier to move light up and down....IDK...try raising your light with that rope 1 inch at a time..lol..and yes we are all here to help each other out..Good luck my friend

4u2sm0ke said:
IMO...chain is easier to move light up and down....IDK...try raising your light with that rope 1 inch at a time..lol..and yes we are all here to help each other out..Good luck my friend

Yeah, i prefer line or "rope", im a sailor, knots are pretty much a hobby:D

Much easier to rig up, but my light hanger makes it oh so easy!

Latest posts

Back