lights for flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty

Reaction score
i just wanted to no what are the best types of lights for flowering . types (hps ,flos etc...) i no flos arent the greatest but will work .... what should i use (brands and/or types)?

The best results will come from the highest powered HPS you can run while staying in the right temperature ranges and not cooking the ladies. I use Sun Systems stuff and it's always worked well for me, good waranties on the ballasts. You can use a standard HPS bulb or jump up to the Hortilux, it makes a difference but not a "make or break" one.

I could be wrong, but I think of mix of both spectrums, hps and halide, would be best. But considering one or the other, go with hps as Biffdoggie said.

As far as flouros, look for soft white, or something around 2700-3000 kelvin, the same as hps. For veg get daylights (6500k, same as halide) or mix both full cycle. Look for 3000 lumens or more in the 4 footers.

Good Luck!

Halide is only beneficial for veg mode and even then the difference is negligible, IMO.

Biffdoggie said:
Halide is only beneficial for veg mode and even then the difference is negligible, IMO.

Thanks for clearing that up for both of us:) . That is good news, considering how much more efficient HPS is than halide.

At my experince level, I should stick to stating facts:eek: .

Elephant Man said:
I could be wrong, but I think of mix of both spectrums, hps and halide, would be best. But considering one or the other, go with hps as Biffdoggie said.

As far as flouros, look for soft white, or something around 2700-3000 kelvin, the same as hps. For veg get daylights (6500k, same as halide) or mix both full cycle. Look for 3000 lumens or more in the 4 footers.

Good Luck!
HPS is around 2100k and MH is around 6800k not a big diff but cfls only typically go from 2700k to 6500k with the 6500k cfls being expensive and hard to find i would only buy 2700k or 6500k nothing in between

2100-6800 is actually a huge difference... since we can actually see the difference w/ the naked eye.

i meant the diff between what he thought hps and mh were kelvin notthe diff between the two

So you cant just buy a HPS bulb right... You actually have to buy the big thing to hold it, You cant just screw it into a metal dish style clip on light holder can ya?

The easiest to find and most reliable lamps are HPS (high-pressure sodium) and MH (metal halide) lamps. You’ll start to see obvious differences with types and brands as you experiment with the variety of choices and get nearer to picking one source of lighting. The plants located in between the lights often end up being the healthiest and highest quality plants. You will see major differences in the growth and quality of the plants as you move further away from the central light footprint.
High-Intensity Discharge Lights:
1000 Watts: Twelve to eighteen inches
600 Watts: Eight to sixteen inches
400 Watts: Eight to sixteen inches
250 Watts (or lower): As close as possible
I suggest using LED grow lights.

Holy 7 year thread bump, batman!!

Latest posts

Back